Lightbulb Laptop Gaming Rig Input

Hello All,

It has been a couple years since I last got my gaming machine so have been looking into upgrading. I have started doing research but am interested in learning more about each part and how it works together. There is a couple things that are must haves for me, since I will be moving multiple times across countries within the next year I need something easy to move. I also prefer Windows7 (Home is fine) for gaming and 17.3" screen(1920x1080). I am open to suggestions to beyond that, and would prefer to keep it down around $900 though could possibly go up to $1100 for a really good build. I play WoW mostly, but D3 and Starcraft as well. Occasionally I do 3d work though it is not a priority since I have a MAC that I do the main work for that on.

The laptop specs I am looking at are:

3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3610QM (2.3GHz - 3.3GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP)
    -> I believe this is a quad core, and was wondering how important that is to laptops vs dual core. Also was wondering if the clock speed has a large impact on what is good for a laptop.

nVidia GeForce GT 650M 2,048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 w/ Optimus Technology
    ->I do like nVIDIA cards, though I have not had a problem with either brand.

8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL11 Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB SODIMMS)
    ->Was 4, but I did want a little more. I was reading through the threads and saw that the speed of your RAM is also important. Is 2x4 or 1x8 a big issue? It doesn't appear to be a big difference.

750GB 5400RPM 8MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)
    -> will freely admit no exp or info about SSD vs traditional HD's.

I was also wondering about wireless cards if that makes a difference as well since there is so many different ones. I do not use blue tooth at all.
    ->Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 135 + Bluetooth 4.0 (Single Band)
    or
    ->Intel® Advanced-N 6205 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module (Dual Band)
    or
    - something else.

And then we get down to where to buy from, some companies offer a little bit of customization, or would it be better to go through something like newegg or another 3rd party company that would build it for you? Was also wondering if anyone has any exp with xoticpc.com?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this post,

Kira.
    Last edited by Kiyira; 2012-08-24 at 01:36 PM.

From my own personal experience I can vouch for xoticpc and say they are a very good company. Recently ordered another laptop from them and I feel quite satisfy.

Also I was looking at Sager NP6370 / Clevo W370ET with similar choices and it would push your budget a bit. a little over 1100 with tax and shipping

10+ Year Old Account
    +1 for Sager/Clevo, I've got their 15 inch P-150, it's got excellent cooling & very solid.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Insideme View Post
    From my own personal experience I can vouch for xoticpc and say they are a very good company. Recently ordered another laptop from them and I feel quite satisfy.

Also I was looking at Sager NP6370 / Clevo W370ET with similar choices and it would push your budget a bit. a little over 1100 with tax and shipping
    Thanks I'll take a look into it =)