Page 1 of 36
... LastLast

What would you've done? - Found a wallet.

Hello

Im on vacation in another country and I just found a wallet with about 350 euroish.
    I returned it to the lobby but I took 50 euro myself.

When I handed it to the lobby, they wantd me to stay and wait for the person to come down. HE came down and said thanks, then left.
    Now Im feeling about guilty that I took 50 euro, it was a oldman and I took 50 euro from them without any reason

So what would you've done if you found it?

Im thinking about returning the 50 euro but it would feel abit stupid "eh, here I stole cash from you but have it back!"

:/

Would of just turned it all in.

The good feeling of doing something like outweighs that amount of money + the bad feeling of stealing it.

Just my opinion

I wouldn't have taken any money from it and just returned it to the closest police station if it was found out on the street, as I would hope others would do if it was my wallet I had lost.

If you feel guilty about the money give it to a good cause or something.
    Last edited by Activi-T; 2012-08-22 at 02:30 PM.

I'd probably take 75%, more or nothing depending on how I feel. Most people got their cash on the credit cards anyway. Besides they should lose something from it they'll never learn.
    Last edited by Baracuda; 2012-08-22 at 02:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Depends on the amount of money. People in Wal Street rip people off of millions of dollars everyday. What's a few bucks?

I wouldn't have even opened the wallet tbh, and I would have turned it in to the proper people, like in your case, the lobby. Find out what room the guy is in, and slide the money under his door during the night.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-08-22 at 02:31 PM.

Deleted
    If you wanna steal then go ahead but don't return the wallet, that's basicly turning yourself in......

Personally I would return it unless the wallet had an extreme amount of cash (say 1000+ eur), then I would have to think long and hard before taking action.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoroth View Post
    Would of just turned it all in.

The good feeling of doing something like outweighs that amount of money + the bad feeling of stealing it.

Just my opinion
    That is if you get a bad feeling for stealing it. I would feel pretty bad if I didn't keep it.

You would look bad if you return it after you stole it, but I would have returned it without taking anything.
    What goes around, comes around. Just slide it under his room like the above suggested.
    Last edited by Lucifer Morningstar; 2012-08-22 at 02:35 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't even remotely consider keeping any of it. Why would you keep 50 euro and hand the rest in? It's so...tacky and immature IMO. It's not your money.

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    If you wanna steal then go ahead but don't return the wallet, that's basicly turning yourself in......

Personally I would return it unless the wallet had an extreme amount of cash (say 1000+ eur), then I would have to think long and hard before taking action.
    How is it turning yourself in??? Whos to say someone didnt rip off the wallet, then dump it again, and you just happened to find it, empty... that seems like a more likely scenario.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    If it had an Id have returned intact

10+ Year Old Account
    You did the right thing in returning it, but I don't know why you chose to steal anything as that seems a bit pikey to me.

If he subsequently discovers that money was missing, then he can report it to the police.

Maybe give a note to reception with the money in and an apology, and ask them to pass it on to the gentlemen when he checks out?

I would have just turned in the wallet without taking anything.

True story - My grandmother misplaced an envelope with about 5000 dollars in it at a costco. She had just gone to the bank and she set the envelope down while she went through her purse and then walked away from where she was standing and didn't realize it until about 20 minutes later in the car on the way home... She went back to costco and to the help desk/manager's station/whatever it's called, and it turned out that an employee had found the envelope and turned it in without taking anything at all. My grandmother was really happy, gave the employee an enormous tip and went to his boss and told the man to give that employee a big raise. So the guy did the right thing and ended up several hundred dollars richer anyway, guilt free. :P
    Last edited by Taygete; 2012-08-22 at 02:38 PM.

happened today, i was with a friend, didnt take anything but we got some cash ourself from the lady

Quote Originally Posted by Koen991 View Post
    That is if you get a bad feeling for stealing it. I would feel pretty bad if I didn't keep it.
    Yes i would probably regret not keeping it afterwards when the good feeling went away, but the feeling of stealing it would of stayed with me a lot longer imo

350 Euro? He should've giving you a finders fee at least, for all the trouble of going down to the station and waiting for him aswell. I would've considered the 50 euro for my finders fee, for the time wasted on collecting his stuff he can't even keep track off.

Burn it, it's the safest way.

But you shouldn't have just taken 50, now he knows you took it, all or nothing!
    Unf - Night Watch - Pagle

Consider the ocean waves, and how the moon's force guides them this way and that across the earth's surface. Human life is an insane coincidence. We are an instance of the universe becoming conscious of itself, yes, old news but always worth review.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taygete View Post
    I would have just turned in the wallet without taking anything.

True story - My grandmother misplaced an envelope with about 5000 dollars in it at a costco. She had just gone to the bank and she set the envelope down while she went through her purse and then walked away from where she was standing and didn't realize it until about 20 minutes later in the car on the way home... She went back to costco and to the help desk/manager's station/whatever it's called, and it turned out that an employee had found the envelope and turned it in without taking anything at all. My grandmother was really happy, gave the employee an enormous tip and went to his boss and told the man to give that employee a big raise. So the guy did the right thing and ended up several hundred dollars richer anyway, guilt free. :P
    A woman I used to work with found an envelope with about £1k in it lying in the street, no address, nothing to ID the owner, just cash. She went to the nearest police station and handed it in, her daughter told me that the policeman laughed.

I'm an opportunist. The "good" feeling of being a noble and honest citizen would not last for very long. I would feel bad if I did not keep the money.