Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Do they eat them in the French parts of Canada? Maybe organise a trip across the border for a quick steak, if they do.
    We do in certain places yes. Very lean and tender meat if you ask me.

Belize has just trumped this thread.

Conversation over!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerbraten

It was traditionaly made with horse meat, but i only ate it made with another meat.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Oh yes, it's very popular. It's even the national dish in some countries like Iceland or Mongolia.
    Wikipedia claims http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_dish
    Iceland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl
    Mongolia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buuz

Granted it is Wikipedia so what do they know

Deleted
    Holy crap didn't know this wasn't allowed in the states, silly. Horse is magnificent, whether it's as is or in a sausage. Around here it's pretty common ingredient in many meat products.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    horses are as american as bald eagles and apple pie. eating a horse is like eating dogs or cats. ugh
    Intimating that something that is quintessentially American shouldn't be eaten, but using as an example something that is expressly for eating (apple pie)? Interesting logic...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Then go find some horse meat, I'm pretty sure it's perfectly legal, it's just not exactly common.

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    Someone in India will probably wonder the same thing, only with cows.
    Na you're mistaken. I live in India and have eaten Beef a number of times. Lot's of restaurants serve beef here, no one objects.

OT : It's sad that people aren't allowed to eat what they please, horses are the same as cows/chicken/sheep IMO. But I would never eat a horse cause I own many race horses and simply love the beautiful majestic animal.
    Last edited by Zoen666; 2012-08-27 at 01:12 PM.
    OOM: Out Of Mobs: Healer wants you to pull.
    MB: More Battle: Healer wants you to pull.
    AFK: Attack Fight Kill: Healer wants you to pull.
    WTF: Way To Fight: Healer is congratulating you for pulling.

Take my advice.......I don't use it. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    yeah, you heard me. i think its complete bullshit that we aren't allowed to eat horses here in the states. people eat horse all over the world and i hear it isn't half bad. what's the difference between eating a cow and eating a horse? they raise horse for eating just like they raise cattle.
    I've learned something today... never though you couldn't eat horse in the US.
    Last edited by Rork; 2012-08-27 at 03:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've tried horse in my journeys abroad, nothing special to be honest. I'd rather ride a horse than eat it.

If we're so damn free, why can't we eat what we want? Not that I want to eat horse, but apparently some people do.

I'm sure it's the money. As someone said, horses are worth more alive than as horsie steak. They're pretty expensive animals, breeders make a lot of money selling them for pets/shows/farm work.

I don't understand how some people can eat things like horses, rabbits, snakes, frogs and even eels. Maybe it's just me I guess, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember having this discussion a while back with a biology professor in college and I think there is a medical reason to not eat horses. It may not be the case anymore but horses were used to produce antibodies and components of vaccines for humans. Thus, if you were injected with a vaccine that had a component that originated from a horse, your body would react against horse meat that you consume, causing either illness or death (Think bad food allergy). As tasty as a horse may be, I'd rather live.

This may no longer be the case or I could be remembering the conversation wrong. Need to do some digging when I have a chance on my lunch break.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilobolus View Post
    I remember having this discussion a while back with a biology professor in college and I think there is a medical reason to not eat horses. It may not be the case anymore but horses were used to produce antibodies and components of vaccines for humans. Thus, if you were injected with a vaccine that had a component that originated from a horse, your body would react against horse meat that you consume, causing either illness or death (Think bad food allergy). As tasty as a horse may be, I'd rather live.

This may no longer be the case or I could be remembering the conversation wrong. Need to do some digging when I have a chance on my lunch break.
    Meh, with the amount of anti-biotics and other crap they stuff into cattle now a days - I'm sure we can take some horse antibodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibuya View Post
    Try not eating any animals, disgusting.

MMM-MMM-Good! Love eating animals they are delicious!

OT: I am against myself consuming horse meat as I was not raised eating them but to each their own. They are just like any other live stock only they are not inspected by the FDA and are therefore illegal to eat/serve.

Watch This about Horse Slaughter Farms in Florida:
    WARNING: Highly graphic and some may find disturbing!

Mods: If for some reason this is deemed inappropriate please remove video at your discretion.
    Last edited by Deatheryn; 2012-08-27 at 04:10 PM.

Come to Iceland bro, what do you want to eat? horse, goat testicles or even whale. It's all served here... come visit, it's great.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    horses are as american as bald eagles and apple pie. eating a horse is like eating dogs or cats. ugh
    Apple pie isn't american at all:P The earliest recipe for Apple pie is from the 1300's from England, and Apples didnt exist in the Western hemisphere untill the 17th century=P

But Damn do i love Bald Eagles, i saw one really close up in a zoo near me, <3 most amazing birds out there, beautiful too=D
    Last edited by GKLeatherCraft; 2012-08-27 at 04:28 PM.

so its ok to to whip the sh*t outta them while making them race, putting them out of their misery after they get old/start losing.....but eating them? f*ck that!

some people in here are absolutely insane, lol its more humane to eat them than to subject them to the horrible lifestyle of forced racing, or whatever that g** sh*t that romney does with his olympic horse, horse ballet or whatever its called.

our country is so messed up in terms of a moral compass, we'll genetically alter chickens to have multiple wings, legs, breasts, but if its cute and furry, if you do anything to it, you're considered a satanist or whatever you wanna call the most horrible of people, its silly.
    Last edited by rigoremortis; 2012-08-27 at 05:27 PM.

I had horse on accident when I lived in the Netherlands. I was a bit scandalized when I found out what it was. It wasn't terribly tasty, either, but I imagine you could acquire the taste. It's completely a cultural thing, really.

It wasn't the worst thing I had there: trust me, stay away from karne melk.

Quote Originally Posted by Deatheryn View Post
    MMM-MMM-Good! Love eating animals they are delicious!

OT: I am against myself consuming horse meat as I was not raised eating them but to each their own. They are just like any other live stock only they are not inspected by the FDA and are therefore illegal to eat/serve.

Watch This about Horse Slaughter Farms in Florida:
    WARNING: Highly graphic and some may find disturbing!

Mods: If for some reason this is deemed inappropriate please remove video at your discretion.
    What exactly is graphical? I don't get it...