Page 1 of 2
LastLast

why purchase a high-end gpu?

So I see a lot of people wanting to drop over $300 on a new gpu and the only games they play are wow/sc2/diablo etc.. I don't understand the point in paying so much for a new graphics card if these games aren't THAT graphics intense.

I just recently purchased a gtx 560 ti to play on my 1920x1080 and I've been able to run all of my games (except BF3) at 60 fps without any hiccups. I'm so thrilled since I upgraded from a radeon hd 5570 and the improvement was very drastic.

It only cost me $175 for the card and I am beyond happy with it. Would spending the money for a 670 or 680 really make that much of a difference in these types of games? I'm just now getting into purchasing individual computer hardware and upgrading myself so I'm really just asking this so I can learn more about gpus.

Deleted
    Bragging rights and preparing for the future releases.

Also, I really don't count 300$ cards as high-end :P They are more like mid-end where as 500$+ (670s ->, 7900 series) are high-end imo.
    Last edited by mmoc1e89a99e36; 2012-08-28 at 06:37 PM.

Just because some one doesn't primarily play high end games doesn't mean they never play high end games. Those cards are labeled 'enthusiast' for a reason.
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-08-28 at 06:38 PM.

When looking at the very high end of the market then you're getting into diminishing returns, and the gains between versions become less and less the closer one gets to the pinnacle.

Where the higher end cards come into their own is with larger resolutions and being able to run everything on ultra settings.

A lot of people that play WoW, Diablo III, or something like that with high end cards usually also have more than one monitor. A lot of them have 3. Now, I have a GTX460 that is still playing everything I have except Rift at ultra with 60+ fps. However, I don't think my card could handle 3 20'' displays playing those games on ultra without struggling.

Also, people were prepping for Guild Wars 2. I don't think I'll be able to play that on ultra lol
    Last edited by Eon Drache; 2012-08-28 at 06:46 PM.

Deleted
    Triple monitor setups, Nvidia 3D Vision or 30" screens with 1440p are all good reasons to purchase high-end video cards.

When using a regular 24" 1080p screen however there is currently little point in spending 300+ bucks on a GPU.

I bought a 5870 on the day of release and it was some ridiculous price of like 450 dollars in 2009. It was the first highend card in the new DX11 series before the 59xx series came out. I bought it at the time to future proof, Play Crysis at the high settings and be like "yeah i can run this with out fps drop" and to brag about my 3dmark scores to my friends with lesser machines lol. Now I play WoW, CS go, and the occasional other game or mmo, but still when I pick up a new game I can run it at pretty high settings still minus BF3. When I have to start turning games down to lower settings to stay at 60fps thats when Ill replace with another $400+ card.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

I like playing my games at the highest settings available. ...that's about it, really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerdanger View Post
    So I see a lot of people wanting to drop over $300 on a new gpu and the only games they play are wow/sc2/diablo etc.. I don't understand the point in paying so much for a new graphics card if these games aren't THAT graphics intense.
    If they have the money spare for it, they may as well - it's better to buy high end and be covered for years than to have to keep buying mid-tier GPUs every few years because a new game has been released and you're incapable of playing it properly.

It's certainly not needed if you're playing WoW exclusively, but I'd imagine the people dropping decent cash on a high end GPU will be playing more than just that, and it'll pay off in the long run.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am saving for a new PC with a 660 GTX Ti 2GB.

That is around decent and and already pretty much over the $300 mark.

When I say "high end" I probably would think more in the line of 2x 680 or 660 SLi, and that is WAY beyond $300.

$300 is not expensive at all, hardly high end.

And for the game, I am preparing for FFXIV 2.0
    Last edited by Grym; 2012-08-28 at 07:01 PM.

I bought my GTX 680 because I'll probably not upgrade my computer for at least 1 - 1.5 years. Knowing my next upgrade is so far off I bought the best now so it can carry me through till I upgrade next.
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series | EVGA GTX 780SC with ACX cooler| Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung 840 256GB| Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB |Western Digital 1 TB Black | CM Hyper 212 Evo (with a push/pull config) | Fractal Design Arc Midi | SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze | Corsair K60 | Razor Naga |JVC HARX900 | BenQ RL2455 | Samsung Syncmaster S24B300

Longevity is hardly a reason to buy one card over the other in the end. Either things are extremely slow, or there's a sudden surge. Regardless going expensive versus good enough won't really pay off much in the end lol.

For one, we're getting 4k resolutions over the next few years, with first ones expected already next years. The resolution is huge; even my upcoming triple monitor setup is going to have a smaller one!
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-08-28 at 07:03 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. High frame rates like 60FPS or even 120FPS.

2. Very high resolutions like 5760x1080/1200 and 2560x1440/1600

3. The bragging rights.

But what i will never get, is why people spend 500USD+ on graphics card and buy a budget 1920x1080 screen for barely 150 dollars.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

15+ Year Old Account
    Because the price of the highest end GPU is relative. And different people prioritize things otherwise, some don't have to prioritize at all.

I personally wouldn't think twice paying $300 for a new card. That's pretty much the amount I spend on gasoline in a month. And I hardly game at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallufauz View Post
    I really don't count 300$ cards as high-end :P They are more like mid-end where as 500$+ (670s ->, 7900 series) are high-end imo.
    it's all a matter of perspective :P

Not everyone is knowledgeable about computers. When you don't know the purpose and function of some parts it is very easy to fall into the "higher numbers are better, regardless of what the computer is being used for" mentality.

Deleted
    perhaps bit related but with resolutions going 4k style shouldn't Vram become a more crucial factor for high end gpu's?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    perhaps bit related but with resolutions going 4k style shouldn't Vram become a more crucial factor for high end gpu's?
    in a few years perhaps, but i dont think 4k screens will be rolling in mass anytime in the next 5 to perhaps even 10 years
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2012-08-28 at 09:59 PM.

thanks for the responses! I didn't think about multiple monitor setups..

Why do you buy all the extra bells and whistles on a car? Some like the extra and up to date gadgets. People like me only choose to buy occassionally, but buy high end systems which keep rocking down the road and are not obsolete in a year.