Page 22 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I've already had a pretty decent conversation with Triggy, and understand his stance on the issue. I do want to point out one thing though, everyone who paid for the game has bought the game. This is not a pre-order. Access to the Alpha has been given to quite a few people, and if that number is truly 200k that is staggering. It will be interesting to see how many more join our ranks when the 31st comes around and the game opens up for everyone.

Remember, this game may have some shortcomings, but I have yet to experience the gamebreaking problems in The War Z that i experienced in Day Z. I am enjoying the game, and this Alpha launch is actually going far smoother than I expected. Downloading the game was easy, installing went without issue, Eyefinity is fully supported, Crossfire is fully supported.

Of those 4 things alone I expect 9/10 game will fail at one or another. The War Z has exceeded my expectations and it's only Alpha. Bravo to the devs imho!
    Last edited by Elgand; 2012-10-17 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by triggy89 View Post
    yes and i stand by the fact it is a rushed mod of war inc. But arguing about what defines a standalone and a mod is a different matter. I might be wrong on that but i feel that they have borrowed so heavily from the original game that it cant really be considered a standalone. It does not seem like this game has been built from the ground up. Now I will acknowlegde that i may be wrong on the specific definition of what constitutes a standalone but considering that the war inc is a free game i dont see this as a clear cut example. I think they simply look the war inc modded it added a map and then re-released it.

Also i did NOT say that I thought it was vapourware, READ IT CAREFULLY! Jesus if i have to repeat myself one more time im going to explode.

"basically saying they hadn't done enough to address the rumors surrounding this game (that it was vapourware etc)" It was not a complaint that it was vapourware rather that the company had done NOTHING to stem those rumors. I did not say i thought that was a case i was simply pointing out the companies inability to quash those rumors due to the fact they had only released 1 shoddy video at the time i raised that concern. (originally on their fb page, not in this thread).

Also being like "i wana test games but i never get picked" just screams of a 15 year old being pissed off that he couldnt get on the latest WoW beta. Alpha and Beta are NOT FOR EVERYONE, never were, never will be, just because you haven't been picked, quit your bitching. The reason not everyone gets picked it because it is almost impossible to run a alpha/beta test with the full number of people expected to play when the game is fully released.

Also yes they didnt plan for this many... but they should have had a clear indication of the popularity the game would have due to the success of dayz, considering it had nearly 1million people. I think they knew full well they would be swamped, considering they are only here because of another games popularity ( IMO!). they were ill prepared and it is showing. Anyone would know that from a company getting the servers installed a week and a half before release. Yes they are taking responsibility and holding their hands up, but it seems doing very little to actually fix it.
    Even if DayZ was never around, WarZ would still be popular. People want a Zombie MMO type game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgand View Post
    Remember, this game may have some shortcomings, but I have yet to experience the gamebreaking problems in The War Z that i experienced in Day Z. I am enjoying the game, and this Alpha launch is actually going far smoother than I expected. Downloading the game was easy, installing went without issue, Eyefinity is fully supported, Crossfire is fully supported.
    Id like to know what those "game breaking" problems are? Because last time I checked, not being able to get into the game is rather "game breaking". From what I have heard not finding food, clipping into buildings, ghost zombie damage, constant pvp, and a plethora of other items that were present in the early stages of DayZ but no longer exist are "game breaking" . Dont pull the hacker card because I left official servers long ago and my server runs like a champ with more features than any official server. Right now the community runs a far better DayZ than rocket himself until the standalone.

Ill call you out if you really want to do a DayZ vs WarZ debate. Otherwise Ill remain neutral on the subject other than I am a DayZ fan and have been watching the WarZ progression with a open mind and interest, but not willing to make a blind investment (that's not a insult btw, just my choice)
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2012-10-17 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Id like to know what those "game breaking" problems are? Because last time I checked, not being able to get into the game is rather "game breaking". From what I have heard not finding food, clipping into buildings, ghost zombie damage, constant pvp, and a plethora of other items that were present in the early stages of DayZ but no longer exist are "game breaking" . Dont pull the hacker card because I left official servers long ago and my server runs like a champ with more features than any official server. Right now the community runs a far better DayZ than rocket himself until the standalone.

Ill call you out if you really want to do a DayZ vs WarZ debate. Otherwise Ill remain neutral on the subject other than I am a DayZ fan and have been watching the WarZ progression with a open mind and interest, but not willing to make a blind investment (that's not a insult btw)
    I would like to know why I am un-allowed to think hackers are game breaking? You may have your own server, but I do not. I have had the game ruined by hackers on 5 different occasions. Working hard to gain items and feeling like you are doing well to get killed by a hacker, in any number of different ways, is infuriating and gamebreaking for me.

I can live with bugs in a game, I can live with alpha having bugs that are annoying as hell. What breaks a game for me is when I am inable to play without experiencing hacking. I decided to play on servers that are low pop, and even on a server with 5 people I was killed by a hacker. Chilling at a campfire cooking some meat and suddenly seeing a ghille suit wearing person crouched in front of me, unloading a full AK mag into him and then being killed is not fun. The fact that it wasn't the first time such a thing occured made me no longer want to play the game.

I'm not debating which game is better, I'm simply saying that The War Z doesn't have in it what made me stop playing Day Z. Day Z was enjoyable up until I started meeting hackers. Day Z is still a superior game to The War Z, because it is more polished and the mechanics work properly. 1 thing made me stop playing, and I do not see that problem ever being fixed. It is simply far to easy to script inject into the Arma 2 engine. If Day Z standalone fixes the issue bravo, im sure I will buy that too. But currently I am enjoying The War Z Alpha and do not feel there are any gamebreaking bugs.
    Last edited by Elgand; 2012-10-17 at 07:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Snip...
    Because the massive hacking is a unfortunate result of a game being played on a engine that was never meant to handle what Rocket has created. Maybe your not an IT person, but if you have any idea how this all comes together you would show a little more respect than calling a problem outside of the dev's control "game breaking". At least the guys at WarZ had control over how many people were coming into their game, yet they still fucked it up and it is "game breaking", but you dont see me calling them out for that do you?

The massive hacking is easily circumvented and that is your choice to stick to official servers where the problem is uncontrollable. But that does not make the game bad nor should you call hacking game breaking because your the one who chooses to continue to play on the official servers and fail to acknowledge a private community that has even had Rocket tip his hat to us.

That is why I dont think you should say hacking is game breaking, that is like saying playing on a overpopulated server that causes lag is game breaking even though it was your choice to play on that server.

10+ Year Old Account

Ill call you out if you really want to do a DayZ vs WarZ debate. Otherwise Ill remain neutral on the subject other than I am a DayZ fan and have been watching the WarZ progression with a open mind and interest, but not willing to make a blind investment (that's not a insult btw, just my choice)
    Cant kill zombies either, just keep smashing them but they dont die, its game breaking buggy dont let anyone say otherwise, but its alpha so we can expect it for now. But hackers are game breaking however you want to sugar coat it, if its beyond the devs control, well that doesnt stop it being game breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Cant kill zombies either, just keep smashing them but they dont die, its game breaking buggy dont let anyone say otherwise, but its alpha so we can expect it for now. But hackers are game breaking however you want to sugar coat it, if its beyond the devs control, well that doesnt stop it being game breaking.
    The zombies do die, just need a better weapon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I would agree if you had no other option. Then yes, it would be game breaking. Since there are options as I have outlined in previous posts, the only thing game breaking is refusing to accept a viable solution.

Ill even go as far to say your issue with zombies in WarZ is not "game breaking" if you can find away around not killing zombies or as Lyriok says "just need a better weapon".

Maybe I have been playing sandboxes far too long, but the only time something is game breaking to me is when I cannot play the game. As in literally cannot get it to load or login or it crashes so often I cant get any real play out of it. Not because I cant play the game the way I think it should be played. When that happens I prefer to say the issue is frustrating, not game breaking. I love to adapt, I love to accomplish my goal by any means necessary.

Its my opinion that games today lack character because everything has to be so streamlined to limit the people who start shouting "OMG GAME BREAKING!!!"

*Sigh* Can we just ignore the "GAME IS BAD U BAD TOO ALSO U GOT SCAM LOLOL" people and move on? They aren't going to change their mind. Just look at RhinoCrunch on youtube, guy is basically screaming "TOLD YA SO" even when he says he played the game but then has no knowledge of what you can actually do in the game. (Example: "Yeah, it's real fair and realistic to be able to buy shotguns in the marketplace.") Just stop paying attention to them and they will maybe, hopefully, shut up.

They made zombies a bit easier to kill, which definitely helps, but IMO they need to reduce the damage that zombies do. If you have more than 1 zombie together with another it's unlikely you'll survive killing them with a melee weapon. 4 hits = Dead without any form of body armor (Which most people don't have.) I believe it's more like 6 if you do have body armor, which is still awful when fighting more than one. Thing is, once you break free from the ultra beginner areas you see groups of 3+ zombies together kind of a lot.

One thing I'd maybe like to see is having less zombies in an area but when you melee them it's a little louder so maybe another one will hear it unless you're in a building but guns definitely need to be louder... Pretty much shot one within about 2 car lengths away from another and it didn't hear it.

Because the massive hacking is a unfortunate result of a game being played on a engine that was never meant to handle what Rocket has created. Maybe your not an IT person, but if you have any idea how this all comes together you would show a little more respect than calling a problem outside of the dev's control "game breaking". At least the guys at WarZ had control over how many people were coming into their game, yet they still fucked it up and it is "game breaking", but you dont see me calling them out for that do you?

The massive hacking is easily circumvented and that is your choice to stick to official servers where the problem is uncontrollable. But that does not make the game bad nor should you call hacking game breaking because your the one who chooses to continue to play on the official servers and fail to acknowledge a private community that has even had Rocket tip his hat to us.

That is why I dont think you should say hacking is game breaking, that is like saying playing on a overpopulated server that causes lag is game breaking even though it was your choice to play on that server.
    Well, I hope you didn't mean it offensively but I took offense to your comment regarding me being in IT. I am a software engineer, and in fact that makes me less lenient towards these kind of problems.

Because the problem is out of the developers control does not change the fact that I view it as gamebreaking. Your selected course of action takes more effort than simply purchasing a game, it takes commitment and effort that is outside of the game. Basically your remedy is the same remedy many prescribe to those that lose games often "Get a group of friends and roll them" Applied to CoD, Dota 2, WoW, BF3, insert any game that friends give you a benefit.

I work quite a lot. This means I don't necessarily get online at the same time as my friends. In fact I just played the first Dota 2 game with 4 friends that I have ever been able to play, since I purchased the game 6-7 months ago.

I looked up server rental information as well. This isn't something that is free, being that Home servers are not allowed. Also I do not know of any ISP's in my area that don't have bandwidth restrictions, which such a server would surely exceed.

So what I have read from you is that DayZ requires a private server, that I assume you have rented. This private server requires a monthly fee and allows you access to the game without intrusion from the regular player base. It is something that you and your friends can play on. Those requirements make it gamebreaking for me. I will not do these things to enjoy a game, or to simply subvert hackers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SageKalzi View Post
    They made zombies a bit easier to kill, which definitely helps, but IMO they need to reduce the damage that zombies do. If you have more than 1 zombie together with another it's unlikely you'll survive killing them with a melee weapon. 4 hits = Dead without any form of body armor (Which most people don't have.) I believe it's more like 6 if you do have body armor, which is still awful when fighting more than one. Thing is, once you break free from the ultra beginner areas you see groups of 3+ zombies together kind of a lot.

One thing I'd maybe like to see is having less zombies in an area but when you melee them it's a little louder so maybe another one will hear it unless you're in a building but guns definitely need to be louder... Pretty much shot one within about 2 car lengths away from another and it didn't hear it.
    Id have to disagree. Zombies should hit hard, if it were a real situation you can only be bit or scratched once and your dead. If they are striving for realism, which is what will sell me, then Zombies should continue to be hard. If you cant survive Zombies that cant adapt, you will never survive people when the shit goes down. If they arent aiming or realistic game play then by all means make them weaker and more like L4D style. But that that wont sell me, I already own 2 L4D games. Just my opinion of course =0

---------- Post added 2012-10-17 at 04:04 PM ----------

Snip...
    What the?

Dude, private servers only mean private hive. All this means is you cant go skipping around servers and have your character follow you, the db's are local hives. All private servers can be found via DayZ Commander, SixUpdater, and the Arma2 browser. So please, tell me again what you cant be bothered to do and what requirements are weighing so heavy on your head?

I run my own server. The cost? The cost of my internet connection and what I payed for the hardware I already owned prior to setting up the server. I run this server for anyone to join. There are ooodles of people just like me running their own private "hive" servers that anyone can join. Some do require registration on websites for whitelisting, just another safeguard against hacking. But it isn't required and many of us do not require it.

If you truly are what you claim to be its fairly sad that you come in here with this high and mighty attitude that it makes you "less lenient". In fact what are you even doing in the WarZ alpha, you've just proven that you have no tolerance for anything less than perfection. How can you not appreciate the type of integration that Rocket created with this FPS and db backend? Not to mention a hive cluster backend that he runs for FREE for anyone who wants to run a official server and connect to the official hive. Not to mention the fact he hasnt made a single penny on the mod, though I admit he has benefited in other ways. But how can you not appreciate that?

Its clear to me that you jumped on the DayZ bandwagon but really know nothing about the game and its community other than script kiddies that just messy'ed up your day. I do not wish to derail this thread any longer, if you wish to continue, you may PM me here at MMO-Champ.

10+ Year Old Account
    "'Flashlight Instakill' solved.

Okaaay . We've found some nasty bug that allowed you to kill other player with one hit when using melee weapons.

we fixed it, so now it'll take up to 10 hits with flashlight to kill somebody."

Yay!

More patch notes by Kewk:
    Crash fixes
    Fixed bug that was able to equip weapon into quick slot
    Fixed a bug where grenades were not damaging zombies
    Fixed insta kill by melee from behind
    Fixed chat input turning on when pressing TAB key
    Fixed pain sound playing when dead
    Show dead message when you die
    Show player's alignment and if he is legend in show players window
    Fixed bug with flashlight staying on after hiding it
    Can no longer create more than 5 characters.
    New water\food rates (slower depletion)
    Fixed player spawn on map
    Fixed some animations
    Fixed footstep sounds
    Fixed collision geometry on some objects
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2012-10-18 at 12:55 AM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

I approve each fix and commend them for doing them so quickly.

Can anyone tell me how large the map is compared to the Arma II map DayZ is on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how large the map is compared to the Arma II map DayZ is on?
    If you don't count the water in DayZ it's about the same size.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

This is for all the Warz lovers.

http://i.imgur.com/3TGez.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BowwJob View Post
    This is for all the Warz lovers.

http://i.imgur.com/3TGez.jpg
    And your point is what exactly?

They are to lazy to write their own TOS

Quote Originally Posted by BowwJob View Post
    They are to lazy to write their own TOS
    You should really have added that into your first post. It's already been seen and I don't mean to be a "fanboy" but it doesn't effect anyone or anything and I'm sure they aren't the first to ever do this. Do I support it? No but it doesn't mean anything besides they may have copy pasted.

http://support.dayzmod.com/knowledge...ayarticle&id=2

Is where I was getting my information regarding home servers. Interestingly you were talking about private hive servers, and I looked up information regarding hosting an actual DayZ server. I pm'd you my response, but from what I have seen private hive servers do not remedy the problem, at least not without alot of admin awareness and rollbacks if the server is the target of a hack.

Oh, on a side note I wouldn't have even looked up home servers if you hadn't have noted it as an option. It is still more than I am willing to do to play a game. Call me not commited enough, but it's more than I am willing to commit, and ill say that honestly.

Anyway, Still enjoying The War Z. As it gets more polished I am truly excited to see where this game can go.
    Last edited by Elgand; 2012-10-18 at 03:19 AM.