Page 34 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Two new slivers too. Lifelink and flying. Notice the one mana cost for the flying one.

I don't even think they're trying anymore. The galerider looks like a drake, the rest look like humans except the trample one that looks just like a tree. And I didn't realize Levitation turned into a one-mana-cost creature, and that's considered fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Two new slivers too. Lifelink and flying. Notice the one mana cost for the flying one.

I don't even think they're trying anymore. The galerider looks like a drake, the rest look like humans except the trample one that looks just like a tree. And I didn't realize Levitation turned into a one-mana-cost creature, and that's considered fair.
    That is the look of these slivers, going to have to get used to that. These slivers have evolved for specific purposes. My biggest complaint about them is their lack of resemblance to the old slivers, although there is some debate as to what hive these belong to either Dominaria, Rath, or Shendralar and if they are the later than it is fine that they look different.

These two slivers prove that they won't be only Naya colors in the core set, as some have been believing. As to why the blue one is one mana I can think of a few. Levitate has always been overcosted, even when I was a new player it felt sort of weak at 4 mana, it being a creature only makes the effect weaker, and it is rare which usually brings down the cost of something.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-06-29 at 09:22 AM.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Necromancer is better because there are more humans than there are clerics, the only difference is that Necromancer's tokens enter the battlefield tapped and Rotlungs don't.
    At the time of rotlung reanimator's release, the main tribe in black + white was clerics. Things have changed since then, but at the same time, the tapped clause, while making total sense, makes this a tad bit worse, specially since the human tribe of innistrad will rotate out soon.

There are not that many awesome humans in the RTR block, unfortunately. Let's see what awaits in theros ?

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkle View Post
    At the time of rotlung reanimator's release, the main tribe in black + white was clerics. Things have changed since then, but at the same time, the tapped clause, while making total sense, makes this a tad bit worse, specially since the human tribe of innistrad will rotate out soon.

There are not that many awesome humans in the RTR block, unfortunately. Let's see what awaits in theros ?
    There are a lot of good humans in RTR. Plenty are not played because they are lackluster to what is in Innistrad, which was a power house of a block, and those that are not played a lot now should see some play after rotation.

Ash Zealot
    Boros Elite
    Burning Tree Emissary
    Cartel Aristocrat
    Experiment One
    Deputy of Acquittals
    Exava
    Fencing Ace
    Firefist Striker
    Frontline Medic
    Gore-house Chainwalker
    High Priest of Penance
    Izzet Staticaster
    Lavinia
    Lyev Skynight
    Precinct Captain
    Sin Collector
    Tajic

There are a few others on the list that I wasn't too sure about. About half of these humans are not played currently, but I believe cards like Exava and Precinct Captain will become playable after the rotation, although double white cost with black may be a little hard to achieve when the checklands leave.

Good and awesome aren't the same thing

Good and awesome aren't the same thing
    Except a good 1/3 to 1/2 of that list is being played because they are awesome right now, for different reasons of course, but they are being played. Cards like Exava are awesome, but Innistrad was just too strong. Between Hellrider, Olivia, and Falkenrath Aristocrat there is no way Exava could have a chance in the 4 spot when you have cards like those running around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well now, here's a very black card http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...3&d=1372554702

Classic style.

New cards.

They fixed the O-ring exploit. Fiendslayer is about the same level as Mirran Crusader and the Necromancer is a better Rotlung Reanimator.

Some are wondering if the Fiendslayer means they are stepping away from protection and more of a hexproof vs. <something>.

snip
    Interesting that they are changing the template with Banisher Priest so you can't do stack tricks with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well now, here's a very black card http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...3&d=1372554702

Classic style.
    In almost every deck I'd want to run something like that, it would end up killing me. I can see this getting used in EDH a lot - however, all of the decks I have that run black are token decks, and since this card doesn't say 'may', all it would take is one WoG effect to kill me lol.

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 11:16 PM ----------

I completely agree, I am NOT a fan of the art style they've gone with. While I totally understand the lore behind Slivers, in that they mutate and adapt to their surroundings and whatnot, I think basically making them human is a terrible direction.

As well, yeah, they're making some of these slivers way too overpowered. I can't complain, really, as I run both an EDH Sliver deck as well as a 5-color 60 card Sliver deck :-P More OP Slivers for me! And they're taking abilities from old slivers, color shifting them, and making them cheaper. I like that. (Lifelink was Essence Sliver, which was a white 4-drop, is now a black 3-drop. Vigilance was Synchronous Sliver, which was a blue 5-drop, is now a white 2-drop.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Classic style.
    It is just a little unfortunate that it is, more or less, a worse Phyrexian Arena. Yes, it is what black does best and Standard Zombies could very easily use this, but this seems too niche. Won't stop me from getting some and trying it out, or anyone else trying to get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I completely agree, I am NOT a fan of the art style they've gone with. While I totally understand the lore behind Slivers, in that they mutate and adapt to their surroundings and whatnot, I think basically making them human is a terrible direction.

As well, yeah, they're making some of these slivers way too overpowered. I can't complain, really, as I run both an EDH Sliver deck as well as a 5-color 60 card Sliver deck :-P More OP Slivers for me! And they're taking abilities from old slivers, color shifting them, and making them cheaper. I like that. (Lifelink was Essence Sliver, which was a white 4-drop, is now a black 3-drop. Vigilance was Synchronous Sliver, which was a blue 5-drop, is now a white 2-drop.)
    Some are human, but these slivers looking like they do can easily be explained by them being on a different plane besides Rath or Dominaria, with there being some discussion as to where exactly they are from. I will agree though that their huge jump from their unique look to humans is a little jarring.

Lifelink and vigilance on their respective slivers are not really color shifts as lifelink is secondary in black and vigilance is secondary in blue.

Except a good 1/3 to 1/2 of that list is being played because they are awesome right now, for different reasons of course, but they are being played. Cards like Exava are awesome, but Innistrad was just too strong. Between Hellrider, Olivia, and Falkenrath Aristocrat there is no way Exava could have a chance in the 4 spot when you have cards like those running around.
    Dontrike, were you around for onslaught? :P

Dontrike, were you around for onslaught? :P
    It was when I really started playing, about a year after I first started.

---------- Post added 2013-07-01 at 12:37 AM ----------

M14 previews are here.

Chandra probably should have been one mana less or if here second ability said "without paying it's mana cost", but that would probably be too overpowered.

Manaweft Sliver easily makes Modern Slivers possible now and makes plenty happy for their respective sliver decks.

The hydra might actually see some play if +1/+1 counters start getting crazy and if you have something like that then have fun doubling something's counters.

The Resonator is pretty cool and will definitely lead to some crazy shenanigans.

Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-07-01 at 04:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chandra actually feels a little weak. At best, you're getting a Lava Axe hit three times with her ultimate. Which, ok, is 15 awesome damage, but way too random, even for red.

Gemhide Sliver is back. Anyone wanna not complain now about slivers?

Always like seeing the next hydra, and this one doesn't disappoint. It comes equipped with trample, which is a good thing.

Elite Arcanist is a creature with imprint, basically.

Strionic Resonator. has there been anything ever that could copy or affect triggered abilities? That's pretty cool, and I want to see some combo thoughts for it.

Chandra actually feels a little weak. At best, you're getting a Lava Axe hit three times with her ultimate. Which, ok, is 15 awesome damage, but way too random, even for red.

Gemhide Sliver is back. Anyone wanna not complain now about slivers?

Always like seeing the next hydra, and this one doesn't disappoint. It comes equipped with trample, which is a good thing.

Elite Arcanist is a creature with imprint, basically.

Strionic Resonator. has there been anything ever that could copy or affect triggered abilities? That's pretty cool, and I want to see some combo thoughts for it.
    Chandras ultimate and her 2nd ability really depend on the cards available to her, although getting her to even ultimate is a problem. Potentially you will activate her 2nd ability and hope you get a land and just use it as your land drop. Top could easily help her be more useful as well. I am more a fan of Chandra 3, but this one is at least not the weakest one.

The Resonator is the first one to copy triggered abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I haven't seen it, it's new to me!

Door of Destinies is awesome. Imagine this in like an elf deck. Or...ugh..slivers.

New cards Festering Newt and Bogbrew Witch go together. Though, that's a very roundabout way just to get a -4/-4 until end of turn effect. However, Bubbling Cauldron works pretty well with the Newt.

Path of Bravery is cool, but more for the second effect, not the first. It and Bubbling Cauldron seem to work well in token decks.

The Newt is basically Festering Goblin with certain card synergies and a better effect rather than 2 relevant creature types. I do like the Witch flavor and the Cauldron is a decent card in it's own right.

The Door was in Morningtide, but it needed a reprint seeing as it is a $9 card.

There is most likely a better card to reference, but Path of Bravery is an Anthem with a requirement and half of Righteous Cause thrown in.

The M14 event deck better not be awful, but it being mono red it has a pretty good chance at that.
    Last edited by Dontrike; 2013-07-02 at 06:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This wolf looks like a basilisk

Hexproof makes this card awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    This wolf looks like a basilisk

Hexproof makes this card awesome.
    That is cheap too, for its abilities.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Considering one of my 3 favorite decks I play is a burn deck, I'm so excited for Pyromancers Gauntlet. Now it would just be a matter of finding room for this 5 drop...

10+ Year Old Account
    It feels expensive for a flat burn deck. Too bad it only works for instants and sorceries. I wanna use it with Searing Meditation