Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

No high texture option

Hi guys, not sure if this has been asked before, I have Googled it though and the results were not so helpful.

When I first installed Gw2, I was able to play on high textures, or at least the option was there if I desired. Now, I only have two options - Low and medium. I searched the problem, and it seems that only these two options are available when you are playing on a 32bit computer. That's fine, except mine is 64bit.

To my knowledge, I haven't changed anything. This isn't about specs as like I said the option was there before.

Any idea why only these two options are showing up? Also high-res character textures tick box is greyed out.

Thanks for any help

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably because they aren't finished yet, is my guess.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Hmm maybe. Maybe they removed the option in a patch or something. Are you getting this also? I just assumed everyone else was playing along on high graphics settings and it was just my client. Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    i dont play GW2, but my thoughts about doing it are dwindling away if they launch a game without high textures finished :S?

was it because they just couldn't meet the deadline, or are they simply not satisfied with the result and have "withdrawn" the option to chose the high texture?
    please tell me
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post

Uh no.

Maybe you should stop "guessing".

10+ Year Old Account
    Odd. You think the option would be there for everybody. My graphics card ain't no pushover.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

First try redownloading GW2.

Then contact support.

It could be that they changed spec requirements a bit..But I doubt that

Run GW2 with -repair in the shortcut. (checks for invalid files, broken configs, etc etc.)

---------- Post added 2012-09-06 at 08:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    First try redownloading GW2.

Then contact support.

It could be that they changed spec requirements a bit..But I doubt that
    Instead of redownloading, just use this:

Forces the game to download all known updates.
    This command updates gw2.dat, the game's data file. Remember to check Auto-Play, so that the program automatically closes after the update is completed.
    The exact size of the file can vary across installations, although you might have to download up to 25 gigabytes of data.
    The data file can be copied to other machines, instead of downloading via the internet.
    Last edited by KevyB; 2012-09-06 at 06:32 PM.

Actually no, the lack of high res textures has nothing to do with problems or bugs with the game.
    The high res textures are only available on 64-bit OSes.
    You realize that high res, medium res and low res are all RELATIVE terms.
    The game industry has been moving forward and what is now considered to be medium res may have been previously considered high res.

High res in guild wars 2 isnt available of 32bit systems because it lacks the memory space to handle the larger texture files in a STABLE manner.
    You see this in alot of newer games too, high res textures are frequently disabled for 32bit systems. High, medium and low are all relative terms, so one game may allow it for 32bit systems while others may not.

That's great, but he said in his first post that he's running 64bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bvoid View Post
    Actually no, the lack of high res textures has nothing to do with problems or bugs with the game.
    The high res textures are only available on 64-bit OSes.
    You realize that high res, medium res and low res are all RELATIVE terms.
    The game industry has been moving forward and what is now considered to be medium res may have been previously considered high res.

High res in guild wars 2 isnt available of 32bit systems because it lacks the memory space to handle the larger texture files in a STABLE manner.
    You see this in alot of newer games too, high res textures are frequently disabled for 32bit systems. High, medium and low are all relative terms, so one game may allow it for 32bit systems while others may not.
    Well that would make sense for my system, but the OP did say he's got 64bit...

Maybe you have a 64bit system, but are running a 32bit version of windows?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah i can also use the options that others can't, keep in mind GW2 won't let you use options that your card can't do. And it scales so even if you set the game at max quality that's just for your card not the maximum possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brocksley View Post
    Maybe you have a 64bit system, but are running a 32bit version of windows?

I'm thinking the same thing, or there is an issue with Windows as the OP said that those options are greyed out when the client "thinks" it is 32 bits...

OP i have a 64bit system/windows and ALL my options are available , same as that other pic posted. But if your 100% sure your both 64bit, then yeah run repair /shrug

ETA: What card you rolling with? Could also be not capable?

Quote Originally Posted by bvoid View Post
    I call bullshit. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have less "stability" in 32-bit mode over 64-bit. The only thing that changes is the size of address space (which would in fact point at 32-bit option as more "stable" one if there really was such a problem).

About the only reason to deny highest resolution textures on 32-bit system is if a sum of system RAM and VRAM used exceeded 4GB, making memory unaddressable on a 32-bit system.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-09-07 at 02:24 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well i have all on high FXAA and shadows on ultra, so they are defenitly there and it looks amazing.

try the -repair option and then remove it to play again .. or maybe update video card drivers?
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you update your video card drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    I call bullshit. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have less "stability" in 32-bit mode over 64-bit. The only thing that changes is the size of address space (which would in fact point at 32-bit option as more "stable" one if there really was such a problem).

About the only reason to deny highest resolution textures on 32-bit system is if a sum of system RAM and VRAM used exceeded 4GB, making memory unaddressable on a 32-bit system.
    Well, think of it this way. If you're in an area that has 512 textures, and each texture is hi-res and averages less than 4 MB, then you're fine (remember, in 32 bit Windows processes get 2 GB memory by default, though it's possible to tell Windows to give 3 GB, in which case they could average less than 6 MB and be fine). But if the average is greater than that, your textures alone would exceed the addressable memory space and cause a seg fault. That's ignoring the rest of the software and data that takes up that memory space. Now, if they cache textures, then you'd still run into the same issue even if there's no single place with that many textures loaded. Yes, they could keep track of the size being used by non-textures, and the size being used by the texture cache, but it's unlikely they do. On 64 bit operating systems you have a much larger memory space, so you're not going to run into the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    Did you update your video card drivers?
    I had this problem, with my AMD drivers. The update tool on Catalyst was telling me that the software was being updated correctly, but infact it wasn't. I have dual X300's which are getting a little old, and thus their drivers have been relegated to legacy status. This means that the newer drivers won't install automatically through the control centre.

When selecting autodetect, it was defaulting everything to low. So I uninstalled all graphics drivers, ran driver fusion to clean out everything AMD that wasn't removed properly an then got the legacy drivers from AMD and installed them. Now autodetect picks mostly high and a couple of mediums (as it should) and the game looks so much better and still has 35-40 fps.

I can't state how important it is, when putting on a fresh copy of drivers, that you run a program like driver fusion to check your registries and elsewhere for rogue files.

Deleted
    Thanks for the replies everyone, just to point out to the two people who called me a he, I am a she (assumptions of gaming :P). Anyway, I'm running a 64bit version of Windows 7, which is why I am confused. I shouldn't think it's my specs which are causing this because like I said, they were available before. Nonetheless, they could have changed this with an update. When I run a repair, my windows goes a really strange sort of negative colour all over, until I close the client, not running any sort of repair program at all, so Im not sure why this is. I'll update my graphics drivers but I really don't think thats the problem, maybe I just need to reinstall the client. If I don't figure out why its doing this I'll just make do with medium textures ^^