Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is Gears of War overrated?

Back when Resident Evil 4 came out and became one of the most important games of all time, no one thought something could surpass it in the TPS genre.

GoW pretty much invented modern TPS gameplay several years later, but as of 2012 do you think the series has lost it's luster? As one of the most prominent GoW PvPers back in the day since GoW 1, I think GoW 3 mostly killed off the PvP - but am still astounded by the level of quality the campaigns have even today.

What do you think of GoW as of 2012?

My nephew has GOW3 and we've played Horde mode a few times and we have had lots of fun. Especially when he dies and I have to go find him. It usually doesn't end well. lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    GoW is one of few TPS games that caught my interest years. The story and characters are so driven it was a nice change to the typical RPG game I've played over the years. Still hold it up there as a special game series. It's allowed me to connect with my younger step-brother when we play co-op and Horde. I personally cannot comment on the PvP aspect of it though since most my time playing has been with another not against.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Deleted
    I don't think so. It pretty much does one thing, third person cover based shooting, try to look for anything more than that in it and you will be dissapointed, although the story is pretty engaging, It does what it does very well, and thats why I bought it and why I continue to play it on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Back when Resident Evil 4 came out and became one of the most important games of all time
    What did I miss here? O.o
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely not, it's one of the best if not THE best TPS of this generation. Too bad the creator of the series Cliff Blezinski or however you spell it, is a douchebag.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, well I don't know if I would say it's overrated. The games have won very little GotY titles. They are well received by reviewers, but I think the high scores it gets are well deserved. It's something different from Halo or CoD. As someone who plays both of those franchises at an above average level, GoW definitely takes the most skill of any shooter I've played. Since it is so different from CoD or Halo, it also takes alot more practice to master.

As for the campaign, well I'd say it's pretty good. Although, I haven't beaten GoW 3 yet, so I don't know how the ending will play out. In fact I think GoW doesn't get enough attention. In a way it's pretty innovative, because it showed that TPS can be competitve, and damn good. It's unfortunate that GoW doesn't have a very wide audience when it comes to competitive play.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    Hmm, well I don't know if I would say it's overrated. The games have won very little GotY titles.
    GotY titles are worthless. Every site gives their own GotY's and beyon very rare expections, the GotY is always given to a game that has had most ads shown on the site (Gee, because ads pay the site upkeep)
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Certainly overrated, never liked it and I loved RE4 despite the fact that I hate TPS games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    GotY titles are worthless. Every site gives their own GotY's and beyon very rare expections, the GotY is always given to a game that has had most ads shown on the site (Gee, because ads pay the site upkeep)
    It's all a conspiracy right? Considering that every game that wins GotY is usually universally recognized, then they must be doing something right. There are some sites that differ, but even when they do they just choose another title that was widely popular. You can have your opinion on what should be GotY and it can differ from these popular sites, but those sites choose which game MOST people would choose as GotY.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an awesome TPS, and I played it pretty much from release. Haven't had a chance to finish 2 or even play 3 yet, but it seems to get better. It's overrated with online play for sure. Campaign quality is awesome.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    Hmm, well I don't know if I would say it's overrated. The games have won very little GotY titles. They are well received by reviewers, but I think the high scores it gets are well deserved. It's something different from Halo or CoD. As someone who plays both of those franchises at an above average level, GoW definitely takes the most skill of any shooter I've played. Since it is so different from CoD or Halo, it also takes alot more practice to master.

As for the campaign, well I'd say it's pretty good. Although, I haven't beaten GoW 3 yet, so I don't know how the ending will play out. In fact I think GoW doesn't get enough attention. In a way it's pretty innovative, because it showed that TPS can be competitve, and damn good. It's unfortunate that GoW doesn't have a very wide audience when it comes to competitive play.
    I have not seen a game more over advertised as I have with Gears of War, and that's saying a lot as Halo has always been over advertised. Gears of War 3 literally had a commercial every break on TV here prior to it's release and the previous two games weren't much better. It got more then enough attention from the gaming community and the media, it's completely overrated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I have not seen a game more over advertised as I have with Gears of War, and that's saying a lot as Halo has always been over advertised. Gears of War 3 literally had a commercial every break on TV here prior to it's release and the previous two games weren't much better. It got more then enough attention from the gaming community and the media, it's completely overrated.
    Advertising doesn't make a game overrated. It just means the company has a high marketing budget. As for getting enough attention from the community, well look at Machinima Respawn, one of the biggest gaming channels on Youtube. You RARELY see a GoW gameplay on that channel, but you constantly see CoD, BF3, and Halo. Hell, you even see Blacklight Retribution on there pretty often.

It may not be underrated, but it certainly isn't overrated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Back when Resident Evil 4 came out and became one of the most important games of all time, no one thought something could surpass it in the TPS genre.

GoW pretty much invented modern TPS gameplay several years later, but as of 2012 do you think the series has lost it's luster? As one of the most prominent GoW PvPers back in the day since GoW 1, I think GoW 3 mostly killed off the PvP - but am still astounded by the level of quality the campaigns have even today.

What do you think of GoW as of 2012?
    Do you know what is more overated then GOW? resident evil 4

Decent story, shitty gameplay.

- Gears of War 1's PvP was busted, but the community appointed gameplay was so fun I played until GoW 2.

- I was honestly, one of the best GoW 2 PvPers, but the game failed so fucking hardcore it didn't really matter. It was amazing the first few weeks, then it self destructed after the patches, and at the end of it's life it was a very decent game. GoW 2 had the worst matchmaking I ever saw in my life, and this is the best part I swear. Pretty much what happened was Cliffy B in his wisdom disabled all footage of criticizing GoW 2's PvP because he feared it'd drop $$, so he effectively destroyed the competitive setting and alienated the good players.

- GoW 3 in it's current state resembles GoW 1, but the amount of issues it has makes it the worst of the trilogy.
    + The Sawed Off is a broken weapon. It does not matter what you say, if you're good, you will kill someone instantly with it and do a roadie hit and run tactic. It's just ridiculous.
    + Broken Matchmaking outside of US
    + TDM is more popular than Execution?!
    + The Health Display, is what kills the game. In GoW 3, the COG wheel and your character cries LOOK like you're getting really hurt, when you're not, so it's a terribly confusing gimmick that should not have been there.

It's the only shooter I'll play. Can't stand Halo, CoD, or any of the others. I still play Horde, Beast, and CTL with my friends on a weekly basis. It's still fun even when it's grindy.
    Anyone else think Jaime Lannister only has the Kingslayer title because he was just too lazy to kill the king on heroic mode?

It may not be the smartest series of games out there but it has some of the best 3rd person shooter mechanics. GoW3, with 4 player co-op, is extremely fun too.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still one of my favorite TPS and in Gears 3 the Co-op is fun on occasion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was overrated 5 years ago, still overrated today.