Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Immature jerks just tend to be overrepresented in that age group, that's why people are cautious.

But judging from your post, I think you're one of the few mature young ones. Good for you.
    I don't know how to solve your problem, the best you can do is continue what you're doing. Act mature and be nice and people will eventually trust you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gormiz View Post
    Why is that people think we are bad at the game? I even topped the damage charts sometimes and always showed up if I signed up wouldn't leave during and I wouldn't fake dc ever. Do people think we don't understand the game? Or that I'm just some call of duty (which I hate) fanboy.
    Its not about how good you are at the game, its more about the fact that if your mom/dad comes in and rages and tells you to go to bed, you have to.
    In a raidsituation, in a serious guild that is a big problem.

To be honest, I would say age 18+. I am 29 and I don't really have any interest in playing a game with someone who is 13. You can be a good player but I would guess that most adults don't want to play with someone your age. Even if you are very mature for your age you are still 13. You aren't even in HS yet!

Also, you are under your parents control and a raiding guild does not want to deal with someone whose parents could come in and tell them to stop playing a game and go to bed. Also, at 13, you are probably not allowed to be up as late as adults are nor should you be.
    Last edited by Seirith; 2012-09-08 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    To be honest, I would say age 18+. I am 29 and I don't really have any interest in playing a game with someone who is 13. You can be a good player but I would also guess that most adults don't want to play with someone your age. Even if you are very mature for your age you are still 13.
    And what does that have to do with anything?
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

I'd suggest not revealing your age. As many have said - you are just more mature than most your age would be (good thing). Problem is people will immediately judge you for no good reason. You are going out on a limb and revealing something personal - that you don't even have to - and they immediately see this as something to pounce on you for. People you think you know and can trust will show you their true colors. Sure, some people will not change on you but I'm suresome will.

P.S. plus isn't awesome that in their minds they've built you up as this successful 25ish year old who is pro at wow and successful in RL too! You'd probably bring their worlds crashing down around them if you told them you were 14.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does it matter? When I was your age, WoW had just came out and I was raiding at age 13. I did most of the raids when I was 13, and did Naxx/AQ40 when I was 14. Age doesn't mean anything... all it can be related to is stereotyping... I honestly don't know how to help you man, people will just stereotype you as soon as they find out you're young. It's just how things are, people want to play with people their age, not with kids who could possibly be their offspring.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Mate, i've been there. You want to know what to do?
    Lie. Just lie about your age and why your mic is sounding funny or isn't working. People would rather not deal with the 99% of 13 year olds who cant even wipe their own asses and ban all, including you, the 1%, 13 year olds.

It sucks, but there is a reason for it. Once you feel really comfortable and safe in the guild, when you're friends with the gm and officers, only then can you reveal your age. They might kick you, but i always got accepted and i could finaly let my guard down.

Just lie at the beginning.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

TL;DR - I'm young and I hate being treated like I'm not capable of what others are just because of my age.
    Because guild chat and Vent/TS discussions often are not for teenagers. Teenagers are ticking time bombs of hormones and "emotions". Call of Duty is a prime example of why most guilds are 18+

Deleted
    Almost everyone of your age, till like age of 18, a bit less maybe, aren't mature at all. Most of these people are butthurt teens that want to have "fun", do what they want, get their precious gear and show off pretty much.

You are a rare case. There's a "friend" of mine that still plays the game and he is raiding in the guild I was in for almost one year and half and he was 14 at the time, yes, his voice was like a girl(more less dunno, like a kid?), he was pretty mature, of course sometimes he started talking and wouldn't shut up but we really didn't care! :P

He played/plays really good and we didn't judge him because of his age, but my old guild only accepted/have people from the same country/language, so we are more forgiving and that stuff than other guilds that just have random people trying to raid. (If it counts for anything, my ex-guild has already cleared everything in HC of deathwing for a months now I think, semi hardcore, and yes this friend was there too).

It sucks that this happens but the fact is there's nothing we can do it about, people pretty much have their perceptions on this and assume something right away when you tell your age. I don't know just keep trying.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    It's just your about a 0.00001% of your age group that is mature then.
    While this is true, imo, I also think that there're way too much idiots even at an age of ~20 (if they're male). During my first ('10-'11) study, my class with 15ish guys ranging from 17-22, there were a lot of idiots. I don't really like to be positive about myself while negative to others, but there was just one guy besides me who behaved like an adult.

If you behave maturely, you'll be taken seriously at 16-20 I'd say.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

nobody has a problem with younger games..they are usually pretty good. The problem is that raid leaders want people that don't have to go to bed at a certain age and can be reliable.

Nothing against your skills..which is probably pretty good..its all about scheduling.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Why is that people think we are bad at the game? I even topped the damage charts sometimes and always showed up if I signed up wouldn't leave during and I wouldn't fake dc ever. Do people think we don't understand the game? Or that I'm just some call of duty (which I hate) fanboy.
    I know why I hate playing with people your age and it doesn't usually have anything to do with how they play it's the general attitude most kids have. They think they know everything, refuse to listen, never shut up. That and I'll be honest I have no interest in hanging around with a squeaky voiced 12 year old.

---------- Post added 2012-09-08 at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjak View Post
    nobody has a problem with younger games..they are usually pretty good. The problem is that raid leaders want people that don't have to go to bed at a certain age and can be reliable.

Nothing against your skills..which is probably pretty good..its all about scheduling.
    False, I don't want kids in my guild cause they generally cause drama, like to argue, and think they know it all. While you still get some with adults you get less of it.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2012-09-08 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I know why I hate playing with people your age and it doesn't usually have anything to do with how they play it's the general attitude most kids have. They think they know everything, refuse to listen, never shut up. That and I'll be honest I have no interest in hanging around with a squeaky voiced 12 year old.

---------- Post added 2012-09-08 at 08:35 PM ----------

False, I don't want kids in my guild cause they generally cause drama, like to argue, and think they know it all. While you still get some with adults you get less of it.

Thats your style..thats fine and dandy. Just saying how a serious guild or semi-serious when dealing with younger players. I've done every raid drunk out of my mind and I'm a day 1 player. I can understand the squeeky voice in vent can get a bit annoying but any good raid leader only has certain people talking in vent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimjak View Post
    I've done every raid drunk out of my mind and I'm a day 1 player.
    relevant how?

True, that only raid leaders should talk during a raid, but, I'm on vent a lot more than just raiding hours. I've been in serious raiding guilds as well were we didn't allow kids either. I have seen quit a few other hardcore raid guilds who want adults only as well. I'm sorry I didn't start on day one, and I showed up sober to my raids I still don't see how this validates what you are saying though.

Deleted
    Why would you want to drink while gaming is what I don't understand....

Deleted
    Get used to people saying that. As a hardcore gamer and a collector of consoles and games being 21 years old I still get people looking down at me thinking I'm immature for liking video games. Suppose that's what you get for living in the UK.

I drank because I was main tank...it took the edge off.

We always made fun of the youngest guy in our guild, even when he turned 18. Maybe it's hard when you're 12-13, but at least in our guild most people had the self-distance and confidence to not take it seriously when someone joked about one of your attributes, and well the same goes for my irl friends. I have this one friend who actually takes our banter seriously and that just makes it even more fun for the rest of us (it sounds worse then it is lol).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taters91 View Post
    Get used to people saying that. As a hardcore gamer and a collector of consoles and games being 21 years old I still get people looking down at me thinking I'm immature for liking video games. Suppose that's what you get for living in the UK.
    What ? Try living in Romania, they think you're an alien.

TL;DR - I'm young and I hate being treated like I'm not capable of what others are just because of my age.
    This won't be true of all people, so I'll just give you my personal perspective.

It's got nothing to do with capability or competence.

I'm old enough to be your father. A substantial portion of my guild is too. Technically anyone in their mid to late 20's could be, if they started pretty young.

On a social level, I have no interest in hanging out with someone more than half my age.

On a management level, everyone's teenage years tend to be unsettled & emotionally fraught as they find their place in the world. Secondary school & university are a life-experience rollercoaster. You won't really see it now, but compare how you react & think about situations with how your father or mother react & think about situations. I can probably interact, reason & empathise with where your parents are coming from better than I can with you.

So if I'm interested in building a committed team to approach an activity in a manner I mesh well with, I'm going to be looking for people who've at least started to get some independent real world experience under their belt (e.g. are self sufficient, earning their own income & paying their own way). Probably with a bit of bias towards 25-30 age range because they're young enough to have been gaming since your age, still have good reactions, but have had some life experience by then.

Anyone under about 20 just won't cut it because we've got bugger all in common & I'm not interested in working around the issues that causes.

You could be the nicest person in the world, but it's not worth the effort because the odds of it working out are tiny.

That's probably somewhat offensive, but I'm trying to be honest. Also, there's no point trying to bargain with people coming from my perspective because we've prejudged you as a bad risk & nothing you do or say will change our mind. Not particularly fair, but probably accurate. Life's like that.
    Last edited by lakhesis; 2012-09-08 at 09:30 PM.