Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

i seem to have a million questions and figure why keep starting a new thread so i will just add it here and hope for an answer:

Is there any real difference between using an HDMI cord or the standard DVI?

tried looking it up and google and i couldnt find it anywhere saying there was a real difference. just HDMI is also audio if the monitor has speakers but mine dont. My current vid card the HD 6870 has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI ports and 2 of those other little ones. Not sure what they are but not really a big deal if i know or not. I disconnected the one DVI cord and hooked my one monitor up via the HDMI slot and i really cant tell any difference. Only one of my Monitors has a HDMI hookup on it the other dont.

Main reason i ask is because most cards i look at only seem to have 1 DVI hook up on them and 1 HDMI as well. Only problem i had so far using the HDMI was i guess CCC set the screen up with a 15% underscan so with a short google i found this out and was able to adjust it to full screen again.

HDMI can carry sound, DVI cannot. Otherwise there is no real difference that I am aware of. And I think you are wanting Display Port for resolutions bigger than 1440p, but don't quote me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    HDMI can carry sound, DVI cannot. Otherwise there is no real difference that I am aware of. And I think you are wanting Display Port for resolutions bigger than 1440p, but don't quote me on that.
    This is mostly true. However DVI ports on a number of (newer) cards can carry audio as well.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinryudruid View Post
    What fps are you trying to achieve? Also Wow is more a cpu based game than gpu. I run a q6600 at 3.0ghz 2gb 800 mhz ram and a 1gb 5870 and I can run wow max settings at 1080p with around 30fps in busy cities but around 50-60 in raids and instances and world.
    while this is true, in the OPs situation going from one high resolution to a very very high resolution will become considerably more taxing on his GPU then most wow players. pretty much wow at 1080p can run good on many lower end cards, wow at 1440p has a much more select group of cards to pick from.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga