I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

PvP Supertankers?

I can usually do fairly well against a lot of people on my melee ranger but there are a few people that I've run into that are pretty much invinsible. I play to 100% of my ability (dropping traps, using abilities at the right times, pet swapping, etc, etc) and these people have somehow figured out how to go supertanker mode and negate anything I attempt to do to bring them down.

The two I keep running into are a guardian and a necro (iknowright?).

The guardian the node camps and will just tank through anything you have to offer. If you get lucky with a bunch of crits he can just heal through it.

The necro will take some damage but just demolishes entire groups of people. I've seen her take down 3 people without going to a downed state with everyone focus firing on her.

I go up against these two...a lot...for some reason and I haven't figured out a way to get them down or even have them take a reasonable amount of damage. This doesn't feel like 'balance' to me. I know warriors can do a lot to increase their passive healing but they still don't give me half the problems these two individuals do.

Hmmm... play as a thief, super glass cannon build.
    Necros die quite fast, guardians on the other hand... spider venom is a must and some kiting work.
    Mesmers on the other hand, damn those things are annoying.

Guardians are the devil.

Yeah, guardians can spec to be an absolute brick wall and survive outnumbered for a decent amount of time. If you are 1v1ing a tank guardian to try cap a node you are wasting your time. They might not be able to kill you but they are not going to die either. Even 2v1 they can be very difficult to take down. My spec is not even very tank and I'm able to defend nodes 2v1 if the players are not very coordinated.
    Last edited by nightshark; 2012-09-13 at 04:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything will be balanced and uber nerfed, give time

Deleted
    Give them time to balance things out, its been 2 weeks!

15+ Year Old Account
    Those people probably have full exotics with a lot of toughness, vit, and healing. I myself have mostly rares and a couple of exotics (weapons included) and using a wide array of abilities can often 1v3. You may or may not have noticed, but a lot of people are stacking berserker of the berserker gear, which makes your damage output high... but the second you get CC'd you go down really fast. I've run into people like this. Their first hit will drop me down to half, then I just CC them and control them and their paper plate armor makes them more than easy to kill.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    From an engineer perspective: Usually only Necros seem to just not die. Everyone else can be a hard fight, but killable (good thieves are very hard to beat, though).

Lol yeah, I'm playing a Necro and our survivability is awesome. So is our condition control. But that's about it, actually.

What is really annoying are fucking Mesmers, man. I swear 3 of us were trying to kill a single mesmer for 4 minutes yesterday. Every time we got to him he popped like 3 of his clones and went invisible and you lost the target every time. Then he would reemerge again and after just 1 hit on him he popped his clones (and illusions) AGAIN and went invisible. It's like those clones and invisibility didn't even have a cooldown. He wasn't doing much damage, but it was an immensely frustrating experience. It made me rage in chat, seriously, and I never rage. Never.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a defensive Guardian, I must say we're quite strong. But I wouldn't say unbalanced. The massive survivability comes at the cost of extremely low damage and I can only kill the weakest of glass-cannon builds.
    I'll give you a couple of hints to beat them.
    First of all, Guardians in general and tank-builds in particular suck at range. Just whittle their health down from afar to force them of the point.
    Secondly: Despite what people seem to think, Guardian's survivability comes from active spells, so if you keep one knocked down/stunned, he can go down quite fast. Even with full Vitality, they don't have that much health.
    Don't run into things like Ring of Warding. I see too many people doing it, and there is no excuse.
    If you're in a group: focus the Guardian down. Most people just hit random things. Use the "call target"-button (I think it's CTRL+T by default) to make sure everyone is killing the same target.
    If you see a blue glowing shield on the Guardian's left arm, don't use your best ability.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    I feel the same as the OP about guardians, I deal with all the other professions ok, win or lose it's competetive 1v1 but I've run into numerous guardians that just blow me up in a split second without being able of slowing or kiting them at all.

Deleted
    I've run into these builds as well, they're meant to distract you and keep you busy while reinforcements kill you off. If you're seeing this either call target on them, get a buddy or leave it. Also, remember you can change your slot skills on the fly. If you know one of these guys is holding a point you want to cap - change your skills to match. Get some knockdowns, slow, poison and stuns. you can even bring extra weapons with sigils on them you need to take these guys out. Unfortunately, I've found no way but hard countering to get rid of them. It's kind of like pick-counterpick in LoL, just have an alternate build ready to swap into from your inventory

EDIT: I play an offensive guardian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    I feel the same as the OP about guardians, I deal with all the other professions ok, win or lose it's competitive 1v1 but I've run into numerous guardians that just blow me up in a split second without being able of slowing or kiting them at all.
    If they blow you up in seconds (and please don't pretend only Guardians do it) they will die easily as well.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    Those people probably have full exotics with a lot of toughness, vit, and healing. I myself have mostly rares and a couple of exotics (weapons included) and using a wide array of abilities can often 1v3. You may or may not have noticed, but a lot of people are stacking berserker of the berserker gear, which makes your damage output high... but the second you get CC'd you go down really fast. I've run into people like this. Their first hit will drop me down to half, then I just CC them and control them and their paper plate armor makes them more than easy to kill.
    It sounds like you aren't facing some very good players, anyone building a glass cannon should know how to dodge, block, and generally avoid most CC's, or they're not going to get anywhere.

On topic, I agree the game has only been out a brief period of time. It's fairly likely that we'll get a patch in the future, balancing out a lot of these things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    If they blow you up in seconds (and please don't pretend only Guardians do it) they will die easily as well.
    I don't have to pretend if you stay on for many games you'll be running into the same player many times, as long as he or she stays.

While I have run into hard hitting players of every profession and they can all kill you fairly fast if you get caught off your guard the diffrence I have noticed is that they too die fairly fast if you instead get the jump on them many guardians I have met are the exeption to that rule because they can dish out as well as any but also take a beating I haven't seen anyone else able of taking.

Mesmers are a pain for me as an engineer.
    Even if you have the upper hand they'll just dissapear, get their health back and try again.
    Guardians don't stand a chance against grenades, max range, bonus grenades, frost snaring grenades, blinding grenade, poison grenade. Come at me bro.
    Can't say necro really bothers me either, their fear is quite strong I guess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexo View Post
    Mesmers are a pain for me as an engineer.
    Even if you have the upper hand they'll just dissapear, get their health back and try again.
    Guardians don't stand a chance against grenades, max range, bonus grenades, frost snaring grenades, blinding grenade, poison grenade. Come at me bro.
    Can't say necro really bothers me either, their fear is quite strong I guess.
    Have you met my [Chains of Light], [Flashing Blade], [Bane Signet] and [Judge's Intervention]? They're really fun