Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    Except those charges weren't necessarily your fault. There have been some well-documented cases in the past where phone companies weren't straight up with their data / roaming fees and people ended up with massive bills, and instead of facing the bad publicity of a possible lawsuit, the phone companies will waive the bill. Or even for the relatively small amount of $1500 dollars I could see them working with you.

The OP's friend is looking at 11,700 pounds of charges built up due to sheer negligence. I hope the friend can come to some understanding with the phone company, and maybe in the future he will report it stolen the next day.
    Thats true, however, they also have to be practical. There is no point in charging someone who obviously can't pay with obscene bills, because the company will never see all of it anyway, and encounter a ton of bad publicity in the process.

Negotiating some deal where they get a part of the money back + a contractually bound customer to recover at least some of the profits might be preferable.

if the guy is foolish enough not to report his phone stolen , then srsly just give up on life..

10+ Year Old Account
    Deactivate phone....you find it the next day you can reactivate it. Not Deactivating it is the stupidest decision.

Unless you can remotely turn on the gps from the phone and find it that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    My friend is awful with phones, he has had 4 phones this summer as he keeps losing them on nights out
    His dad got him a new phone on bill pay after the one was left on the beach, and now this has happened.
    There's no depth to what's going on here, no key details left out.
    Then there's no depth to the problem. He was plain and clear stupid, and now his father (and, I should add, his father's credit report) is now on the line. Tell him "Grats, you screwed up and other people suffer for it."

He MIGHT be able to get a reduction, but if he can't, he has nobody to blame but himself.

Deleted
    Refuse to pay, he will win in magistrates court.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Then there's no depth to the problem. He was plain and clear stupid, and now his father (and, I should add, his father's credit report) is now on the line. Tell him "Grats, you screwed up and other people suffer for it."

He MIGHT be able to get a reduction, but if he can't, he has nobody to blame but himself.
    I agree. Why someone wouldnt report their phone a day, nevermind a bloody month after it was lost is beyond me.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    So basicly, you can call, pay whatever you want with your mobilephone, and then tell them "hm didnt know that, guess it was stolen then, give my money back."

Sounds logic. Its his own fault, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

This is a bullshit statement. He has whoever racked up the bill to blame. Whoever gave him this bill broke the law, they did something that they probably knew was wrong. They are the people to blame for this, but the phone company doesn't care because they are a business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Neglected to report is stolen is one thing.

There is no way they'll have him charge that sum for a stolen phone, reported or not.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

I do enjoy having a GPS chip in my phone so i can track everywhere it is
    Not reporting it stolen? Stupidity arises.

15+ Year Old Account
    he must have been really bad in bed, the girl probably spent all that time on the phone telling all her girlfriends how small his penis is....also why doesnt he have an unlimited monthly account? its 50$ a month and u get unlimited everything....

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    he must have been really bad in bed, the girl probably spent all that time on the phone telling all her girlfriends how small his penis is....also why doesnt he have an unlimited monthly account? its 50$ a month and u get unlimited everything....
    Not really, depends on the country.. For example here in Aus an unlimited plan will cost you upwards of $89/month depending on provider.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    Could just buy DLC and rack up a mega bill.

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Not really, depends on the country.. For example here in Aus an unlimited plan will cost you upwards of $89/month depending on provider.
    He's in the UK, can get an unlimited plan for around £28/month

Sorry, but if he didn't report it stolen like he should have, it's his own fault.

Negligence has its consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    This is a bullshit statement. He has whoever racked up the bill to blame. Whoever gave him this bill broke the law, they did something that they probably knew was wrong. They are the people to blame for this, but the phone company doesn't care because they are a business.
    1 phone call, the day he realized that his phone is missing and the bill could have been much smaller. If non existent. the phone company gave him the option to call and report it stolen or deactivate it. He didn't do so, so he is to blame.

Its his responsibility to manage his property. Sure it suck and it was completely out of his control that his phone was stolen. But letting it incur charges for a month is insane.

Deleted
    I don't understand how your phone bills and that work in there, but here on my country, you can only call and text people if you have money on your phone, so I don't really understand how you got a bill of 11,600 !

I hope everything works out good.

Quote Originally Posted by smegdawg View Post
    1 phone call, the day he realized that his phone is missing and the bill could have been much smaller. If non existent. the phone company gave him the option to call and report it stolen or deactivate it. He didn't do so, so he is to blame.

Its his responsibility to manage his property. Sure it suck and it was completely out of his control that his phone was stolen. But letting it incur charges for a month is insane.
    So you blame victims of criminals instead of criminals for the crimes?

The person to blame is the person who accrued the charges. Criminals aren't a force of nature. They are people who make decisions.

Deleted
    People seriously need to stop blaming the victim and actually try to help and not give the snide comments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xStevooo View Post
    I do enjoy having a GPS chip in my phone so i can track everywhere it is
    Not reporting it stolen? Stupidity arises.
    I turned on the track my phone thing , on my mothers phone so i can tell how long till i get tea made :S

Quote Originally Posted by enohpi View Post
    But that does not matter at all ?

If it is not his name, he does not have to pay. Who the name belongs to, does not really matter to him, aslong as it is not his name
    Try to tell the phone company that story.

If I lose my credit card, and dont report it stolen/missing, and someone finds it and uses it to buy stuff and have it sent to his address...who do you think is in debt to the bank ? Me, or the other guy ? The guy that used it might be reported to the police, but its still MY fault for not reporting my card stolen/missing