Buying a new video card

currently running with a sapphire radeon hd 6870 and looking to get a better video card, well because i have some extra cash atm and later down the road i want to get a 27" monitor with higher resolution.

been looking at a 7950

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161407

but was think i might splurge and get a 7970 but havent really looked on newegg yet for one, if you have a link to one you would suggest feel free to post it. thing is i keep seeing it posted that the amd cards have buggy/bad driver support. personally i have never had any problems with any of the cards i have owned and so far they only been amd cards.

things to consider: only games i play on my PC are WOW and will be getting borderlands 2, suppose other blizzard games to since i have them install just dont play them too much. i dont do a whole lot of watching movies or anything else on my pc other then surfing mmo and a few other sites.

If it matters or not currently running 2 monitors 23" (1920x1080) and a 22" (1680x1050)put plans were to get a 27" with better resolution later on.

Chaud posted this in a different thread i had started a few days ago:

If you are only playing WoW, a good GTX 670 that can be overclocked is your best bet. If not, a 7970 costs just a bit more (make sure to get one with a nice cooler) and is a solid choice.

i dont have much experience with overclocking anything, my tech lvl with PCs is limited to changing a video card and adding more memory and that is about i have ever done.
    Last edited by lazybum; 2012-09-12 at 07:37 PM.

Wait until you find a 7950 for 300 with no rebates/free shipping, there was just one last week. At that price the 7950 is a real good deal, 7970 at 429.00 is not in comparison.

---------- Post added 2012-09-12 at 02:46 PM ----------

Ill just add that you really dont need to upgrade until you get the 27" monitor, assuming it is 2560 resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by lazybum View Post
    currently running with a sapphire radeon hd 6870 and looking to get a better video card, well because i have some extra cash atm and later down the road i want to get a 27" monitor with higher resolution.

been looking at a 7950

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161407

but was think i might splurge and get a 7970 but havent really looked on newegg yet for one, if you have a link to one you would suggest feel free to post it. thing is i keep seeing it posted that the amd cards have buggy/bad driver support. personally i have never had any problems with any of the cards i have owned and so far they only been amd cards.

things to consider: only games i play on my PC are WOW and will be getting borderlands 2, suppose other blizzard games to since i have them install just dont play them too much. i dont do a whole lot of watching movies or anything else on my pc other then surfing mmo and a few other sites.

If it matters or not currently running 2 monitors 23" (1920x1080) and a 22" (1680x1050)put plans were to get a 27" with better resolution later on.

Chaud posted this in a different thread i had started a few days ago:

If you are only playing WoW, a good GTX 670 that can be overclocked is your best bet. If not, a 7970 costs just a bit more (make sure to get one with a nice cooler) and is a solid choice.

i dont have much experience with overclocking anything, my tech lvl with PCs is limited to changing a video card and adding more memory and that is about i have ever done.
    If you're looking at resolutions higher than 1920x1080, or you one day get into games that you can heavily mod (Skyrim, for example), the extra VRAM of AMD cards is pretty nice. A 7950 or 7970 with an aftermarket cooler will OC quite nicely as well, if you ever decide to try your hand at it. Big fan of my Sapphire 7970 Vapor-X. Dual bios, and great cooler. Never see it get above 62C in any game I play.

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    If you're looking at resolutions higher than 1920x1080, or you one day get into games that you can heavily mod (Skyrim, for example), the extra VRAM of AMD cards is pretty nice. A 7950 or 7970 with an aftermarket cooler will OC quite nicely as well, if you ever decide to try your hand at it. Big fan of my Sapphire 7970 Vapor-X. Dual bios, and great cooler. Never see it get above 62C in any game I play.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202001 belive i did look at this card on newegg before and like it for the double dvi hookups

---------- Post added 2012-09-12 at 03:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Wait until you find a 7950 for 300 with no rebates/free shipping, there was just one last week. At that price the 7950 is a real good deal, 7970 at 429.00 is not in comparison.

---------- Post added 2012-09-12 at 02:46 PM ----------

Ill just add that you really dont need to upgrade until you get the 27" monitor, assuming it is 2560 resolution.
    bummer the 27" dell one i was looking at on newegg went from $699 to $850

I bought the new NVIDIA 660...unbelievable performance for the price..IMO

If you get the 660ti you get Borderlands 2 for free. And the card itself is amazing too.

Quote Originally Posted by thepreacher View Post
    If you get the 660ti you get Borderlands 2 for free. And the card itself is amazing too.
    LOL...yeah...I got the game too

have borderlands 2 already reserved and payed for at gamestop for the extra content and weapons pack etc etc.

think im leaning towards buying:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...X%20100351VXSR

which is the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, should hold me over till my next pc in another 4 or so years i think, lol
    Last edited by lazybum; 2012-09-12 at 10:27 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    I am using an old 5770, and since I was in a position as you, a 22 and a 23" monitor, when I got my new one, I lol-hooked-em-up, 3 screen eyefinity, with lol-different-size-screens...it works well enough, as it says on the tin, mind you the sizes are a little off, but the fact is, they are just perifrial vision, so it's fine, works like a charm.

Yah, 3000x1024, runs smooth as fuck with gw2, wow, bf3 if I turn down a couple of things, in fact, most games run smoother then you'd expect...I turned up EVERYTHING in gw2, set it to supersample, and get 50fps on ultra, with 3 screens running one massive game window on a 5770! a ruddy, old 5770. No shit jack. I wonder how kickass the newer cards would be?
    no that's not 2 cards, it's ONE 5770.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

A lot of the 7970s have coil wine. It's annoying so you gotta run vsync to minimize the buzzing.

My Sapphire 7970 and my bro's XFX 7970 have this. It's normal though. Cards are great but the noise is annoying lol.

think my current PC has a whine too it, dont really notice it unless you think about it or someone says something, i use a head set 99% of the time anyway so i hardly notice it myself

damn it, now that i am thinking about it i can hear the whine, think its the stock cooler fan over the CPU but either way getting a new PC in a week so all is well
    Last edited by lazybum; 2012-09-13 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    A lot of the 7970s have coil wine. It's annoying so you gotta run vsync to minimize the buzzing.

My Sapphire 7970 and my bro's XFX 7970 have this. It's normal though. Cards are great but the noise is annoying lol.
    Mine has zero coil whine, vsync enabled or not.

why not wait for Cyber Monday/Black Friday sales if ur not going to get a monitor until later on? That's my plan.
    Free-To-Play is the future.