Looking to upgrade

Hello!

I'm currently using a pre-built Gateway computer (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883113101), and am having some FPS issues on the MoP beta. I can run with a few settings at high/ultra at ~45 FPS, but get some significant losses if I try to set too many things to high. I posted my rig in the Computer section of the forum, and was informed that my bottleneck is my video card, so my questions are as follows:

1) Will upgrading ONLY my video card allow me to run MoP at high/ultra with good FPS?
    2) Can I upgrade my video card using all of my old components?
    3) If 1 and 2 are yes, then what video card would you recommend? (My primary focus is MoP, though I do play SC2 and LoL with no FPS problems)

And an ancillary question:
    4) Will I have any problems swapping video cards out considering the fact that its a pre-built rig? I personally haven't done any work with computer hardware, but I plan on doing this stuff with a friend who has built a few computers.

Check and see if the PSU is quality, look at the label and find the actual model.

Hopefully you are overclocking that CPU! If not, get a real CPU cooler and overclock it, as it will make a significant difference.

If you overclock and get a new GPU you should be okay to run with nearly Ultra settings (shadows turned down, AA at 1X, and SSAO off), depending on resolution. What resolution are you playing at? The GTX 260 was a pretty long card, so a new one should fit fine.

Going to bump my old thread as opposed to starting a new one. I didn't respond at the time of the original post as I ran dry on cash, but I've run into some money so I'm going to be upgrading some stuff.

I can't find anything on the PSU. As far as I can see there isn't a label on the back. Also, I'm not currently overclocking the CPU, and would prefer not to if at all possible. As for the last question, running at 1920 x 1080.

As for my main reason for bumping the thread: can someone recommend a GPU? Currently still playing WoW/Starcraft, but I do play some single/multiplayer fps's. Price range would be somewhere in the low $200's.

Your psu may be a no name brand but if you are on a tight budget you shouldnt have any issues running aany newer video card. Its a 750 watt and you have a gtx 260 running in it right now which consumes more power than most of todays newer cards on the market. In that price range your best bet will be buying a 7850 You should see about double the performance in most situations and less power consumption. Something like this would be decent Sapphire 7850 2Gb $199

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/664?vs=549

WoW is still more CPU dependent and if you can try to OC the CPU as Chaud said earlier. Not sure if Gateway has a lock put on the board so no OCing can be done or not.
    Last edited by demonskies; 2012-09-13 at 10:49 PM.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    Your psu may be a no name brand but if you are on a tight budget you shouldnt have any issues running aany newer video card. Its a 750 watt and you have a gtx 260 running in it right now which consumes more power than most of todays newer cards on the market. In that price range your best bet will be buying a 7850 You should see about double the performance in most situations and less power consumption. Something like this would be decent Sapphire 7850 2Gb $199

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/664?vs=549

WoW is still more CPU dependent and if you can try to OC the CPU as Chaud said earlier. Not sure if Gateway has a lock put on the board so no OCing can be done or not.
    Thank you for the recommendation! I'll likely be picking up the card this weekend.