Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Recovering soulshards in combat

So, how are we suppose to recovery Soul Shards in combat ? hard cast Drain Soul or keep the rotation without Haunt until Nighfall proc ?

This is bothers me since Beta, never had time to search for it.

I think the intent is that you only cast Haunt when Nightfall procs or when you need burst damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I keep using haunts until I have one shard left (In case I need to use something in an emergency) and when dark soul has about 30-45 seconds until it comes off of cooldown I save them (unless I get to four again then I cast one to not waste a nightfall proc).

Using this method I never really run out of shards and haunt has a decent uptime. Something to not abuse drain soul whenever you can. Any type of add that will die use it on. Some adds die really quickly (sappers and corruption) so I drain soul at like 35% just to make sure I get my shards.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I think the intent is that you only cast Haunt when Nightfall procs or when you need burst damage.
    This from what I understand, just try to make sure you don't burn all of your SSs when you have a major dps CD coming off CD soon / a burn phase / BL coming etc.

Only problem with SSs is their out of combat regen, absolute nightmare in pvp after you respawn and have no SS to use for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Nightfall doesn't work like that anymore. It simply gives you another soul shard, not a free Haunt. So what you do is use Haunt when you need to waste soul shards (ie avoid getting capped) or during CD's/procs when your dots are stronger.

Deleted
    Or you can Channel Drain Soul for some SShards, and keep going with normal, Haunt'ed, rotation.

haunt - sb:ss - mg till haunt off -> haunt
    i go till 1 shard left at the start and then keep it on 1-2 unless i know i need them like madness for adds bombing or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Ryonnen View Post
    Or you can Channel Drain Soul for some SShards, and keep going with normal, Haunt'ed, rotation.
    Wait for Nightfall procs if you're out of Shards, don't cast Drain Soul unless you're in execute phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    This from what I understand, just try to make sure you don't burn all of your SSs when you have a major dps CD coming off CD soon / a burn phase / BL coming etc.

Only problem with SSs is their out of combat regen, absolute nightmare in pvp after you respawn and have no SS to use for ages.
    Agreed, OoC regen needs a buff.

Adds are a wonderful way to recover shards as well

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    Adds are a wonderful way to recover shards as well
    That's the way, you drain soul the low hp adds get back 4 shards and then you soulburn:soul swap to instantly apply your dots, if u do this on fights like warmaster you'll simply destroy the meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryonnen View Post
    What do you mean with normal rotation? Sounds like a big DPS loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    What do you mean with normal rotation? Sounds like a big DPS loss.
    it is a big dps loss, but it is sometimes to appropriate to take a dps lost now for a dps burst about to come. If you have poor rng with Nightfall and also miss managed your shards and you NEED to prepare for an upcoming burst, you might as well use Drain Soul to stack up shards.

It's not optimal, but on occasion it can be useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    New Haunt sucks.

Old Haunt was better.

New haunt is limited

Old Haunt was not.

gg

Deleted
    Warlocks are performing well without spamming Haunt, so it's working as intended. The whole point is to manage your shards, you need to anticipate when you can regen shards (for example Madness Tentacles). If it's a single target fight then just use them wisely, don't just spam it until you run out.

new haunt does dmg, new haunt is usefull and not "just spam on cooldown" new haunt is cool

but to the main ussue here, out of combat reg in pvp is waaay to slow. i can get across the whole warsong and in this time i get 3 shards. infight it's pretty ok just spam corr on every target (even pets) and you won't run out of shards + gives a little selfheal
    or just run around with sb:ss on every target and hope nightfall procs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkminaz View Post
    but to the main ussue here, out of combat reg in pvp is waaay to slow.
    Must echo this, finished off AB Master over the past week, NOTHING is more annoying than having farm be attacked, dying in it's defence, rezzing and finding not only is your GOSAC ability still on CD but you have no shards, completely ineffective.

Would love to either have an out of combat SS and potentially health regen (like we used to have), or at least start with a few on death. It feels really punishing spawning at such a disadvantage in pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Must echo this, finished off AB Master over the past week, NOTHING is more annoying than having farm be attacked, dying in it's defence, rezzing and finding not only is your GOSAC ability still on CD but you have no shards, completely ineffective.

Would love to either have an out of combat SS and potentially health regen (like we used to have), or at least start with a few on death. It feels really punishing spawning at such a disadvantage in pvp.
    This is why I'm partly against the new soul shard system. Sure, it's an awesome feeling to be able to apply all your dots on multiple targets in just a few seconds. But having to rely on it (assuming affli will be balanced around this) I have to say I'd rather go back to the old system with real soul swapping. It rewards skill and removes the nuisance where we have problems maintaining our soul shards (which is very RNG based atm).

Right now I feel the whole SB:SS thing is extremely OP though. I doubt we're at that big of a disadvantage against let's say shadow priests when we mess up or are unlucky with our soul shards, being out of them when they are needed.

Unrelated to the current topic but IMO they should put a cooldown at like 12-15 seconds on SB and buff Haunt damage.

Just tried it on the dummies, 5 mins, no DG, 1st try was with casting drain soul whenever I had 0 shards, to get as close to 100% haunt uptime as possible. Only got 1 shard from the drain soul every time. 2nd try was only haunt when NF procced.

1st try: 30.8k dps (rotation wasn't perfect, might try again later.)
    2nd try: 31.3k dps

I know the dummies are a pretty bad way to see how much dps you do, but this should give you a bit of a general idea of how much of a dps loss it is to use drain soul.
    Also: I get very unlucky on NF procs for some reason...

DPS isn't superb, just came back from a 6 month break, still in DS normal gear.

Edit: had another go: 1st try: 34.2k dps (lucky NF procs)
    2nd try: 31.2k dps

Sooooo, now what? Oo
    Last edited by protput; 2012-09-16 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by notwen View Post
    So, how are we suppose to recovery Soul Shards in combat ? hard cast Drain Soul or keep the rotation without Haunt until Nighfall proc ?

This is bothers me since Beta, never had time to search for it.
    Don't rely on Drain soul for shards. You rely on shard management and nightfall procs.