Deleted

Prot paladin mastery

Hey guys

Is anyone els under the wondering about the prot. paladin´s mastery ? i mean mastery = 3 sec psyh. dmg reduction ?

that in my eyes seems a but shit ?

10+ Year Old Account
    with proper timing it is amazing, as in i dont have to pop a cooldown for madness impales on normal, and still have half my health left. With DP procs i have gotten it up to 15 seconds though xP 6 procs in a row FTW

Our tank on Heroic Madness pre patch used to go down to ~40-50% hp on impales. Now he doesn't even drop under 90%. No doubt about it, the new Pally Mastery is pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebulae View Post
    Consider this: We had a flat chance to block before. Now we have a mastery which does something more than block (albeit with a lower block chance) -- isn't that an improvement over our passive and considerably boring Cataclysm design?

We have more control over our own survivability than we ever have.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing about it is it's extremely situational. Then again, so are a lot of other new masteries.

Basically, the big ones are: Ultraxion's big boom soak, Madness's Impale, Morchok's Stomp, etc. etc.

Time it right and it's great. Otherwise it's not really useful for much else compared to the time you can have it up.

Ultraxion's big boom soak
    That one's magic damage, though.

On a side note, when the shield is down, you can spike a lot due to low block chance. I suppose the incoming HP increase would sort of fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebulae View Post
    Hey guys

Is anyone els under the wondering about the prot. paladin´s mastery ? i mean mastery = 3 sec psyh. dmg reduction ?

Personally I think it's amazing especially on fights that have heavy physical damage. Sometimes you won't hit it immediately as soon as it lights up because of an attack coming in, but like someone mentioned if you done the fight at least once you know when to use it. Plus HP is a bit quicker to build up this time around so it's not as bad. Especially if you go Divine Purpose you can sometimes chain the Reduction by clearcasting it.

Plus our mastery does more than 3 seconds of physical reduction.

It does:

A) Increases the amount reduced by Shield of Righteousness base amount
    B) It adds to our block chance
    C) It increases our Word of Glory / Eternal Flame heal

Making the combination of physical reduction when you need it nice and/or if you need a big heal such as after a magic hit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    Basically, the big ones are: Ultraxion's big boom soak, Madness's Impale, Morchok's Stomp, etc. etc.
    I have a memory of people saying DS had lots of unblockable damage, partly to offset us being CTC capped. I know magic attacks are not blockable; are any other DS damage speaks unblockable? Or is my memory wrong. We can block impale and Morchok's stomp? I did not know that, but it's good to know.

What about Hagara's frenzied attacks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    I have a memory of people saying DS had lots of unblockable damage, partly to offset us being CTC capped. I know magic attacks are not blockable; are any other DS damage speaks unblockable? Or is my memory wrong. We can block impale and Morchok's stomp? I did not know that, but it's good to know.

What about Hagara's frenzied attacks?
    Impale and Focused Assault are not blockable, and I don't think Stomp is blockable either. However, Shield of the Righteous is just pure physical damage reduction, not block, so it works on all of those whereas warrior Shield Block does not.

Prot Paladins are kind-of like the new Blood DKs.

Deleted
    Mastery is a great stat for prot Paladins but I wouldn't stack it. The cap is 120% for block, mastery increases block, I have seen some Paladins just stack mastery gems which I wouldn't recommend, to much of anything is bad for you.

The cap is 120% for block, mastery increases block, I have seen some Paladins just stack mastery gems which I wouldn't recommend, to much of anything is bad for you.
    Did you read what you just wrote?
    Yes, with current gear/nerfs you're probably better off stacking stamina, because there's no use for so much physical reduction with such uptime. But when mop comes out and we're back to low amount of stats, mastery will be very useful again.

I'm really enjoying it, it's gonna be even better at 90 right now there really no need to use WoG at all however at 90 after doing some of the beta raids we will actully have a choice and may need to WoG at times.

Deleted
    i`m no expert but why are you talking about ds ? i dont think level 85 and current content is relevant to mastery . only mop and future encounters will give our mastery`s value . one thing is for sure you have to time sotr very precisely .

The thing about it is it's extremely situational.
    What's situational about it? You hit SotR and you get a damage reduction buff.

Time it right and it's great. Otherwise it's not really useful for much else compared to the time you can have it up.
    Timing has nothing to do with it either. Obviously if there is a telegraphed hit coming (Impale, Focused Assault, Stomp, etc) you'll want to pool up some Holy Power so you have that buff active for when the damage is to go out. Again, that's just common sense.

Try going into a raid and never hitting SotR at all except for obvious telegraphed attacks, then say SotR isn't useful. It's our primary source of DR aside from avoidance.

Quote Originally Posted by KingLewis View Post
    Mastery is a great stat for prot Paladins but I wouldn't stack it. The cap is 120% for block, mastery increases block, I have seen some Paladins just stack mastery gems which I wouldn't recommend, to much of anything is bad for you.
    Are you still playing on 4.3 or something?Mastery (apart from block) = more damage mitigation.You will need stamina for hc ds (although it's pretty useless anymore since 2 weeks till mop :P ).Haven't tested though haggara's focused assault since 5.0.4.It was unblockable that's for sure,but now with the dmg reduction buff if it DOES work on her I think that we're becoming the next dk tanks.Try popping holy avenger first and just spam SotR.You'll be amazed by the damage reduction it provides.we've become so active as tanks I really love the way things have turned tbh.
    And edit: ctc cap is no longer there.mastery=a bit block but mainly damage reduction.
    Last edited by Malthanis; 2012-09-15 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Please do not post meme or meme-like images.