Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Roughly every 2 years I do a complete new build then give my current pc to my brothers kids, Win win.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had my PC for a little over 4 years now without upgrading anything, however it was very expensive when I bought it so it has lasted until now, it's due for a GPU, motherboard+CPU, and SSD upgrade over the next year though as it's getting to the point where an upgrade would be very noticeable now.

Generally I'd say around 3 years is a good "age" where you might start upgrading if you want to keep up with new games etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    every three years, tip: stay away from SSD's to problematic currently.

Before I got a job, once every 3 or 4 years =p after that, once every 2 years, except for haswell, which I plan on making a whole new system, but a truly good one and all by myself and give my current one to my brother as a gift.

Deleted
    Normally I upgrade some components once a year on average. I never buy a new PC as such, it's just a continual never ending upgrade process.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As soon as I have the money, the following things will be immediately replaced:

Currently 4 year old (nearing 5 years old) WD Cav Blue 640GB HDD
    Asus P8P67 Mobo (possibly the i5-2500K too)
    GTX 560 Ti MSI Twin Frozr II
    My RAM, it is 1.65v RAM at 1600MHz, so I am running it at 1333MHz@1.5v, but I want something lower voltage and higher frequency. (Newer, higher quality RAM)

These replacements because each of these parts has either proven to be not enough in my case/or age reasons.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

A combination of when I'm not pleased with the performance of my old rig, and when I can afford it.

I try to get bits and piece every 4-6 months. The last part I upgraded was my motherboard and processor, before that was my Ram and before that was my Graphics card. Just keep building off the same computer little by little.
    EVERYDAY I'M SHUFFLIN. ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    I own 3 SSDs and besides the Crucial firmware issue (which was patched) I haven't had any problems with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personal computer? 1-2 TIMES per year. already upgraded twice this year. waiting for between feb-april next year.

randomly buy things here and there for other computers in the home.

I have a 2500k and a gtx 465, until there are games i cant play on the second highest setting (usually high) i wont upgrade. I was given a tip a while back that the general rule of thumb is upgrade your PC when they release a new gaming console (xbox 720 or whatever they are going to call it) because this is when game developers can really start cranking up the graphics.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually build a new rig every 2 or 3 generations.

I make an effort to replace a piece or 2 every year.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Deleted
    About every year I guess. It really does depend though.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    About every 5 years or so....

And its from average to average. I can never afford a top-of-the-line rig. Or I actually could have gotten one 6 months ago but due to work-related stuff I ended up getting a 1500 euro high-performance-laptop (main reason was the company paying for it, lol). Oh the desktop I coulda gotten with that cash.... Not that this laptop is bad, though :P 100 times faster than my old rig was ^^

Whenever mine stops working and I can't figure out which part is failing or just sucks too much anymore. no really specific times.

they have been pretty reliable for a year+ now. as always research and get a good brand, same as a regular hdd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Erh.. no?

I currently own 5 SSD's, 120gb Intel X25-M, 60GB Crucial M4, 2x 120GB Crucial M4 & a Kingston 3K 120GB, never had an issue except for the X25-M which got fixed.

Soon getting an Agility 3 240GB for my laptop.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Soon getting an Agility 3 240GB for my laptop.
    Oh God don't do it!!!

(Had an Agility 3. Never was really sure if it was the SandForce bug or OCZ, but the Agility series is essentially OCZ's lower quality range, I'd suggest a Crucial m4 or Samsung 830 in your laptop, instead.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Usually two years. Sometimes just graphics, sometimes full build, depending how much fun I want to have.

10+ Year Old Account
    I upgrade too much, although the only things I have upgraded is RAM, Video Card, and HDDs/SSD, and spending money on monitors... I did have to buy a new laptop though my old dell studio 1737 wasn't cutting it anymore.

Still using an I7 D0 920 @4.0 cpu (from 2008), I will upgrade my mobo/cpu when either of them dies, they are both solid components.

edit: I agree stay away from the vertex/agility 3's
    GemStoneIII (Mud) (ongoing) > SubSpace/Continuum > EQ1-Kunark-PoP > aRO > FFXI > WoW > Rift > WoW > FFXIV > SWToR > Tera > GW2 > Wushu > ESO > W* > EQ1p99 > WoW > ???
    FFXIVARR Profile
    D3 Profile