15+ Year Old Account

*MoP Mage Tips-and-Tricks*

Okay, since I didn't spend much time doing PvE on the beta, and I probably won't do much on Live, I'm going to post this now so people can toss their own experiences at me, so I can compile everything into a nice pretty thread when the time is ready.

HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT!!!! Love is a battlefield!!! OOooooooOOooOOohhhh, sometimes, I get a good feeling!
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    Some random stuff:

1. Use Arcane Power on cooldown, but try to get to 5-6 charges first with missiles procs ready.
    2. Refresh Nether Tempest before it expires.
    3. Living Bomb explodes even if you refresh it half a second earlier so time it between other casts if possible.
    4. (Arcane) If you're under 85% mana with 6 charges, use a mana gem before casting missiles. Similarly, when rebuilding charges during Power, use a mana gem to get back to full. The 100% mana mastery bonus is worth losing a few seconds of mana regen due to being at max.

i found ice ward the best for leveling because all mage spec got shatter on every spec. FFB pull mage bomb frost nova FFB IB pyro dead

but later on when you hit lvl88ish mobs wont die after that combo :/ thats when ice ward comes in with frost nova oh and deep freeze ftw

dragon breath, Ice ward frost nova IB and cold snap (for oh shit)rotation at high level is very useful for surviviabilty

http://www.wowdb.com/talent-calculator#KbyLKsK6MA0ug this was the spec i was using when leveling on beta oh and i was fire fire heheh
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe we should wait to see the boss fights first and compile a specific per-boss list of tips-and-tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimm3 View Post
    maybe we should wait to see the boss fights first and compile a specific per-boss list of tips-and-tricks
    the boss mechanic is pretty much there in beta.... its just numbers needs tweaking :P
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimm3 View Post
    I never said I'm sticking this the second people give me data. I'm going to use it as a collection pool for the first week or so after launch then throw up a proper thread. I just haven't done much, if any, PvE on the beta so I just wanted people to put up what they've already found so I can have a good jumping off point.
    BfA Beta Time

Big one for Arcane Mages:

Arcane Missiles stacks twice - use a double stack wisely

Frost Bomb calculates damage on explosion. Use cooldowns right before it explodes, not right before you cast it. That will save you 1.5 seconds that you would've had to spend casting during Arcane Power/Potion/Whatever. You can also maximize Frost Bomb's damage as arcane in pretty cool ways by paying attention to your mana and anticipating regen for the explosion.

Of course, the CD and explosion timers are calculated on cast, so any usable haste effects should be used before the cast.

Also, on the topic of Arcane and Frost Bomb, Frost Bomb only has a chance to proc Arcane Missiles on cast. It will never proc AM on its explosion.
    Last edited by Zehnn; 2012-09-20 at 03:12 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you spec into temporal shield and cauterize: when cauterize activates immediately hit temporal shield. You will burn for the cauterize damage and then heal it all back bringing you to around 50% health.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mipper View Post
    If you spec into temporal shield and cauterize: when cauterize activates immediately hit temporal shield. You will burn for the cauterize damage and then heal it all back bringing you to around 50% health.
    Cauterize might not have time to tick all the damage so the heal will be weaker, it's more useful to use temporal shield for the damage that causes cauterize to proc which might even get you above 50% health.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    Cauterize might not have time to tick all the damage so the heal will be weaker, it's more useful to use temporal shield for the damage that causes cauterize to proc which might even get you above 50% health.
    Agreed, although I don't always anticipate when Cauterize is going to hit. Cauterize is a 6 second burn and Temporal Shield is a 4 sec duration, so I misspoke, you won't heal all the way back to 50%.

I would never purposely try to cauterize and temporal shield, just may be useful for those scenarios when you don't want to burn ice block or if it's on cooldown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mipper View Post
    Agreed, although I don't always anticipate when Cauterize is going to hit. Cauterize is a 6 second burn and Temporal Shield is a 4 sec duration, so I misspoke, you won't heal all the way back to 50%.

I would never purposely try to cauterize and temporal shield, just may be useful for those scenarios when you don't want to burn ice block or if it's on cooldown.
    It's so much easier when you're raid leading and can scream "Heal Shangalar!!!" never failed.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    It's so much easier when you're raid leading and can scream "Heal Shangalar!!!" never failed.
    Hahaha, I really want that talent!!

Useful tips!

---------- Post added 2012-09-21 at 10:45 AM ----------

Oops double post

If I can hijack/add a little to this post (seems the right place)is using inferno blast during bloodlust a dps loss (assuming you are reforged for the 1st/2nd haste breakpoint)?

If u get an instapyro crit leading to a heating up proc, followed by inferno blast to generate additional insta pyro - followed by a POM pyro before a combustion, it can be usefull - also due to the increased ticks on combust during bl - Having 3 pyros close to each other (hopefully 1-2-3 of em crits) will generate a nasty combustion ^^ Currently I can get to 79-90k combustion ticks, (glyphed ofc) double that with the ticks u get during a bl (and a possible berserking from troll + haste trinket proc) makes u clap in ya hands! Especially on multitarget fights (2-3 main targets tanked closely) have rounded 200k burst thus far and generally around 130k on a normal single target boss fight.

Anyways I only speak outta pure experience, I dont have math to back it up so others can prolly give ya a more exact answer. I only calculations through logs/dmg meter! hope it makes sence regardless.