[Fire] Problem with my dps. Help!

Hi everyone!

I am posting because I feel that I am not pulling my weight as fire and am looking for any possible advice that can help me improve my dps. I am not doing as much dps as I should be considering my gear (sim around 185k or so) but cannot figure out for the life of me what I am doing wrong. I have read plenty of guides for fire mages but still am not sure the problem. I would greatly appreciate any possible help to improve my dps. Thanks!

My character:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ra/Cute/simple

Here are some recent logs and all of ours logs are public as well:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=8654&e=9076
    [http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=1536&e=1791
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=7708&e=8279
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0...?s=1884&e=2160
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0.../?s=903&e=1332

I know I need to work on my dot uptime some but not sure what else to improve on besides that. Maybe my Ignites/Combustions aren't as good as they should be? I have started using TellMeWhen to help my dot uptime and also use CombustionHelper for my Ignites.

I rly hope you don´t play with Pvp Gear Pls logut with Pve Gear to see something. I´ve take a short view @ Logs and your Ignite is rly low like y said, but so say something more pls change EQ and post your AT Macro

Sorry just logged out in my PvE gear now. Here is my Alter Time macro:

#showtooltip
    /cast Presence of Mind
    /cast Alter Time
    /cast Pyroblast

I just spam Pyro's as I get them than Combustion.

Okay, could be a couple things actually.

1) Probably the biggest mistake most fire mages make - When are you using your Hot Streak procs? As soon as you get them? If not, when? *THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT* The PROPER time to use a Hot Streak proc is when you have a HS as well as a HU proc. Do NOT use your HS proc right a way. Reason for this is, when you release a fireball and a HS proc Pyro at the same time, you have double the chance to proc another HS proc IF you have an existing HU proc waiting. If you use the HS right away, you are only giving yourself a 50% chance to get a HU proc and about a 10% chance they both crit and you get another HS proc.

2) Make sure you are using Combustion after a CRIT. I used to use CombustionHelper or another ignite tracker, but I gave up after my lackluster dps just pissed me off. I have it configured right now for MSBT to ONLY shot me PYRO crits and nothing else. No other numbers show on my screen (not even normal damage). I am not saying that is what you should do, just that making sure your Combustion is cast AFTER a pyro crit. Also worth noting, with 2pc you need to make sure that your Combustion is AFTER you pop AT a the second time to reset procs (AT should also not be popped unless you have a HS AND a HU proc). This is due to the buff you get with 2 pc. ALSO worth noting, a PoM pyro does 25% less damage than a HS proc Pyro. Unless you have a HU proc waiting, you should hit Combustion before your last Pyro (which will be a PoM) hits to ensure it does not munch your ignite.

3) Just looking at your Jin-Rokh fight from this log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...s=1536&e=1791:

a) I see your LB uptime is simply attrocious (62%). On a fight like Jin-Rokh you are looking for 90%+. There is no reason for it to be any lower. (yes I understand there is movement and mechanics, still no excuse).
    b) You have 2 total Combustions. Your raid DPS is not insane, so I am assuming you at least made it to the 3rd pool. 2 Combustions is not enough. You should be using an AT macro combustion and then a PoM pyro combustion alternating every 1.5 minutes. 2 Combustions means the fight lasted < 3 minutes? Not sure that is possible with your raid's dps.
    c) You casted Scorch 5 times. GENERALLY speaking that is a good thing, but in a movement fight like jin-rokh, I feel like you should have more (especially during lightning storm). If you are blinking to spot then casting FB then good, that is correct. However, I feel like 5 scorches is still a tad low. Remember the motto: ABC! (Always Be Casting). No matter what. If you have no procs and you need to move, cast a scorch.

Hope that helps you out a bit. PS, you should use GI over Cauterize, has much more utility in almost all heroic fights. I personally also prefer TS over IB, but that is just me. Some people like IB for the pushback resist, but I can't stand that it costs a GCD so I opt for TS. Just my 2 cents

Deleted
    I looked at your recent Jin'rokh HC logs, and it's not exactly like you're doing a horrible job, but for someone with the meta, the cape and just your overall gear, you could and should be doing a lot better.

Just some things I notice:

-On Jin'Rokh, while your average combustion ticks look fine (and I thus assume you have no issues with pulling off decent openers/combustions), you Evocated twice over a 4m15 fight and managed only 67% uptime on your Invoker's Energy. To compare, I evocated 3 times over a 3m51 fight and kept the buff up for 90% of the time (I seem to have let it drop during the first lightning storm, which should not happen).
    -Your activity time is incredibly low, 75% compared to my 99%.
    -Even though you outgeared me, on that fight, by about 5 item levels (and a meta and damn cloak, fu!), I managed to fire off 8.8 pyroblasts/minute compared to your 4.2 (that's not something you explain with stat differences, which even is a category you win in). You had 9.2 fireballs/minute compared to my 13.5. To add to that: your Pyro crit% was 83.3 on that fight, mine was 61.8%. Our Fireball crit% was equal. Even so you did 7mil less pyro damage than me, and your fight lasted 20 seconds longer.
    -In line with the previous: my pyro dot uptime was 93%, yours was 57.7%.
    -You got hit by a Thundering Throw too. You also took 900k Ionization damage, which is 2 hits, even though you used Ice Block once. Did you get 3 pools, or did you use that Ice Block during Lightning Storm? I'm not up to date on the timing of Jin'rokh his mechanics so I have no idea if you have 3 pools in a 4m15 fight. Another thing, your raid shouldnt drop Fissures in range of pools . We manage to avoid in our 25man with some scrubs, so your 10man should be able to avoid that too. You also took 3 times as much Lightning Diffusion damage as me, which is suspect.
    -In line with point 2: You had 26 HU procs compared to my 37. It should be higher with your gear and fight duration. You actually had pretty neat trinket procs during the fight.
    -Did you use Ice Block during Lightning Storm? Seems like you sat in it for the entire duration. I also prefer taking Greater Invis over Cauterize on this fight, but that's personal flavour. Just Ice Block the first Ionization, Invis the first Lightning Storm if you get caught, Temporal Shield the second Ionization when it's about to fall off, and just dodge, should be dead by then.
    -Your LB uptime was only 62.8% compared to my 90%.

Seems like you spent about 1/4th of the entire fight doing absolutely nothing, combined with poorer uptimes on spells/dots than even your low active time could explain.

Disclaimer: I am not going to pretend I'm the best Mage out there, but I do consider my performance to be adequate for the level I'm raiding at (6/13 HC, not skipping any bosses). I'm consistently within 5-8% of getting ranks (which isn't the end all be all), but I must be doing something right .

I'm going to have a look at your Horridon kill tomorrow. One thing I already notice is your relatively low time spent on the boss, while not doing more DPS to adds than I am. That's something I'll look into. Some things are going to be different due to me raiding 25man (and not cleaning up the little adds, which you seem to do in your 10man and is probably required). Still, you did 100k less than I did, so there must be more to it than boss uptime.
    Another thing I also instantly notice is, again, your low Invoker's Energy uptime. Are you tracking it with Weakauras/TMW? I have it set up as a massive button in my field of view. That's something concrete you can work on already at least.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-06-06 at 09:54 PM.

@ Dusteyy
    1) I use my Hot Streak procs when I have both HS and HU procs so I am at least doing that right.
    2) Sometimes I think I have a tendency for using my second PoM before the Combustion and I also sometimes use it after non crits so I will have to focus on this aspect more for sure
    3) As for for Jin'rokh, I save my Ice Blocks (usually I use Cold Snap, didn't this week for whatever reason) for the Lightning Storm since I generally get hit by the lightning balls I just Ice Block if I feel like I am about to get hit. During Lightning Storms I generally just focus on avoiding stuff and basically stop dps all together during them. It's pretty bad on my part to do this I know but I figure being alive is more important. I also died during the second Lightning Storm which would explain the 2 Combustions I believe. I never really messed around with GI so I will have to experiment with it on some fights this week. When would be some ideal times to use it?

@Dekadez
    Like I mentioned above, I use Ice Block for Lightning Storm. I do like the idea of how you laid out using Greater Invis during Lightning Storm I will definitely try that out next week and it will let me use that Ice Block for more dps on that first pool. I guess I just have trouble with Lightning Storm so I focus on avoiding rather than dps, that is probably where things fall apart for me on that fight.

As for Horridon I did terrible this week because my Direhorn was giving me fits mostly not sure why it was so bad this week I just couldn't seem to get him out of the way (btw what spell do you use in your macro to knock him back?). I just hate this fight in general especially if I am one of the first to get a Direhorn lol. I only had one good pull (was doing 240k when I died once the tanks went down at the end). I have lots of trouble with my multi-dotting on that fight and just in general really. I'd rather have other fight logs looked at than that one just because of how bad I know I did this week. I'll take any advice I can get though :P

Thanks so much for the feedback guys! I'll try to put it to good use. I will have to try out using GI this week I have never really tried it out much I'm sure it could be very useful if I can find out the best times to use it. We are going to work on HC Council and possibly Tortos tonight so hoping that goes well. I'll check back this week with some more logs to see if I have made a difference.