Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Noob ? what is crafting good for?

So I'm new to the GW2 world, lvl 17, and I haven't figured out crafting yet, what are cool/fun things you can do with crafting?

---------- Post added 2012-09-25 at 03:43 PM ----------

btw, I'm a Sylvari Elementalist

BiS exotics once you hit max level. Ability to craft up-to-date gear when levelling. If you don't, and you don't buy from AH you will typically be up to twenty levels behind your current level on your gear.

Not to mention it's the fastest way to level up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Off-topic, but now I'm thinking of the "what is it good for" song...

But it's good for crafted gear, upgrade components, food buffs, not to mention EXP.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by abetheprofit View Post
    So I'm new to the GW2 world, lvl 17, and I haven't figured out crafting yet, what are cool/fun things you can do with crafting?

---------- Post added 2012-09-25 at 03:43 PM ----------

btw, I'm a Sylvari Elementalist
    It's great to level up. If you haven't picked up a profession, at least get the gathering tools and put them on. Not only does Mining, Lumberjacking, and gathering veggies/herbs take up NONE of your profession slots, they give you good EXP and can be sold at the AH for money.

Professions are also a great way to get good stuff, and get you some easy level ups if you can keep up.

Deleted
    It's also used for legendaries later on, although not something you need to worry about right now.

You get 10 levels (if you don't use a bonus xp token) for maxing each profession so it's a pretty nice level boost.

I'm of the opinion that crafting is just like owning a boat. Its a pit you throw money into that you'll never get back but you still derive some recreational benefits from it on occasion

Dont expect to make much money from crafting, there are a few nich markets but the nature of the global tradeing post means they often do not remain profitable for very long. If you just want gear for leveling you'll probably spend less just going to the TP every 5 levels to fill in gaps than if you leveled the craft to make the items yourself. Crafting is useful for makeing legendarys but that is a long term goal and by the time your ready to start thinking about that you'll have access to the needed funds to burn to level it up. You might also save yourself some coin long term by crafting your own exotic gear if you decide to have several differently built crafted sets.

As others have recomended though do make sure you gather, even if you dont use the materials yourself its worth it both for the XP and for selling on the TP. You can also use crafting to skip some levels if you feel like it, each craft leveled to max gets that character ~10 levels. I dont recommend useing crafting for that reason but to each their own.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    Crafting gives quite good experience, its easier to control the stats on the items and they look better too.

Deleted
    crafting is amazing in this game! i love it! the discovery system is the best ive seen in an mmo and it levels you up aswell!

Deleted
    get yourself sweet gear during leveling of course! i just crafted full armor set as LW and Accessories, rings and neck set, all level 50 masterwork. i leveled from 50-52 and a half and im awesome as well every 5 or 10th level with new gear with the RIGHT stats, not the crappy loot you get otherwise

It's very hard to keep up with gear while levelling. On my new thief I found myself at level 25 while still wearing level 14 gear and I couldn't figure out why I was getting my ass handed to me lol. Start crafting, make yourself some decent gear, faceroll everything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorias View Post
    It's very hard to keep up with gear while levelling. On my new thief I found myself at level 25 while still wearing level 14 gear and I couldn't figure out why I was getting my ass handed to me lol. Start crafting, make yourself some decent gear, faceroll everything.
    it's easy. just buy mats. im always 5 levels a head in my 2 crafting skills

Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    it's easy. just buy mats. im always 5 levels a head in my 2 crafting skills
    I meant it's hard to keep up with gear by NOT crafting, sorry lol. Crafting is the best way to keep your gear at a high level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorias View Post
    I meant it's hard to keep up with gear by NOT crafting, sorry lol. Crafting is the best way to keep your gear at a high level.
    Eeeeh, it's not really that hard, if you're frequently killing things. ANYTHING can drop good loot. Even those moas that everybody ignores, so that I can kill them for the extreme amounts of bonus exp.

Also: You don't need to keep your gear caught up anyways.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Eeeeh, it's not really that hard, if you're frequently killing things. ANYTHING can drop good loot. Even those moas that everybody ignores, so that I can kill them for the extreme amounts of bonus exp.

Also: You don't need to keep your gear caught up anyways.
    I leveled armorsmith and weaponsmith while leveling, farming every mine/tree that there is ingame, that was nr1 priority (over qeusts etc)
    The fun thing about crafting in this game is that @ higher levels u gain XP soo fast (trough discovery) that u can go 6 levels up in a matter of 30mins or so.
    Also every 5 levels u can craft new armor/weapons .. on level 60 i already had a full set for 60 65 70 75 ready
    Now level 78 on my Warrior and 400/400 profession with a rare set waiting for me when i get 80 > then go farm high level zones to make exotics.

I think crafting is great.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Immediately upon seeing the topic I wanted to reply: "absolutely nothing!" But I lack the good voice of the man. ._.

its easier to control the stats on the items
    That's pretty much the only perk. but since nothing is soul bound, save the money you'd use for skillups and just buy the damn gear off the TP.

then go farm high level zones to make exotics.
    Have fun grinding gold for Ectos. They are the only thing holding you back. Rest of the materials are very easily acquired.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2012-09-27 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    That's pretty much the only perk. but since nothing is soul bound, save the money you'd use for skillups and just buy the damn gear off the TP.
    Not the only perk, crafting gives experience. 1-400 crafting gives 10 levels, and since you can have all 8 disciplines you can potentially get 80 levels just from crafting. Which, even if you don't start crafting until 80 is a significant amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Ditto
    Yeah, as others have said - keeping gear up to date while levelling, decent amount of XP, decent gear at max level, food buffs normally give experience bonuses as well as stat bonuses so I always keep a stack of food to nom on every so often as I'm running around.

Oh, oh! And dyes - chefs can make dyes - which is very important if you're as vain as me
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    Not the only perk, crafting gives experience. 1-400 crafting gives 10 levels, and since you can have all 8 disciplines you can potentially get 80 levels just from crafting. Which, even if you don't start crafting until 80 is a significant amount.
    Which technically speaking is completely and utterly irrelevant. Why? Because having gold at max level is far more important in this game than getting to 80 a little faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Which technically speaking is completely and utterly irrelevant. Why? Because having gold at max level is far more important in this game than getting to 80 a little faster.
    But skill points are also useful, which can easily be inferred as being my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.