Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    The fact is they don't have day during the winter months. They have night. Only night for days (or weeks or months) on end. It is used as a descriptive term to describe the time in broader terms, but it still only works if there is a sun or moon to show a clear line between them.
    Unfortunately, your "the fact is" is incorrect. They don't have visual sight of the sun. But they still have day. Because, as I've explained and is an accepted fact, the day is a period of time based on the sun. In the past, before we had recorded a calender based on the sun's movements, they would have been screwed and not known what time it was. They did not know whether it was day nor night.

As for you saying that the periods of time only work if there is a sun or moon to show a clear line between them... Yes. That's... Kind of what I'm saying. The difference is that you seem to insist that this can only apply with visual sight of one or the other, which is simply not true.

Now, we know it regardless of where we are in the world. We always know where one or the other is. We've set up a time region for every portion of the earth based on the sun, and everyone knows whether it's day or night, regardless of whether they can see the sun or not, because after examining astrology for so long, we know where the sun is regardless of visual sight. On top of that, there will always be pats of the earth that see the sun, so they can share such information anyways, and with timezones, that itself can be used to tell the difference between day and night at any point of the earth.
    FC: 4441-9848-5442 (If you want any gen 1-6 starter, PM me or ask on steam)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    God damn it. Note to self, when Yak hypes something don't bite into it.
    These aren't the images you're looking for.

Deleted
    I don't get what's so funny about that.
    Vet took the bait.

Deleted
    I don't get what's so funny about that.
    yeah, my brother died that way, not funny

Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    these kinds of debates are annoying and lead to nothing <.< why would they possibly amuse you?
    I used to think exactly like that, but over time they grew on me, and eventually I started participating in them myself.

Trust me, I've had MUCH worse. Me and Sanics, if I remember correctly, had a stream debate about whether it is more energy conservative to leave your jaws open or have them touch when speaking.

It lasted a good 20-30 minutes.

I have no regrets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Celestia looks like she was photoshopped, poorly, into that image.
    Wishful thinking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirusianna View Post
    You would do that for me?

meep~
    I would do it for you.
    I could also do it to you. :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Brohoof View Post
    I used to think exactly like that, but over time they grew on me, and eventually I started participating in them myself.

Trust me, I've had MUCH worse. Me and Sanics, if I remember correctly, had a stream debate about whether it is more energy conservative to leave your jaws open or have them touch when speaking.

I have no regrets.
    You are an interesting individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    yeah, my brother died that way, not funny
    That made me laugh more than it should ha-
    Actually, no.

That made me laugh exactly as much as it should have.

---------- Post added 2012-10-06 at 03:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aryd View Post
    You are an interesting individual.
    Wait until you meet Okami.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaedris View Post
    I would do it for you.
    I could also do it to you. :3
    You two need to get a room.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately, your "the fact is" is incorrect. They don't have visual sight of the sun. But they still have day. Because, as I've explained and is an accepted fact, the day is a period of time based on the sun. In the past, before we had recorded a calender based on the sun's movements, they would have been screwed and not known what time it was. They did not know whether it was day nor night.

As for you saying that the periods of time only work if there is a sun or moon to show a clear line between them... Yes. That's... Kind of what I'm saying. The difference is that you seem to insist that this can only apply with visual sight of one or the other, which is simply not true.

Now, we know it regardless of where we are in the world. We always know where one or the other is. We've set up a time region for every portion of the earth based on the sun, and everyone knows whether it's day or night, regardless of whether they can see the sun or not, because after examining astrology for so long, we know where the sun is regardless of visual sight. On top of that, there will always be pats of the earth that see the sun, so they can share such information anyways, and with timezones, that itself can be used to tell the difference between day and night at any point of the earth.
    Ok, wasn't this about whether or not we could have day without night to start off with?
    Anyways; "day" has 2 uses, one is the descriptive, "I can see the sun out, so it must be day" and the other being "it's between these 2 points on the watch, it is therefore day". One I agree with and the other I do not, I can understand both of them however, I just don't agree with one of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohtiko View Post
    You two need to get a room.
    Can you suggest a hotel or such?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaedris View Post
    Can you suggest a hotel or such?
    Hot1nightstands.org.uk

10+ Year Old Account

I have no regrets.
    You shouldn't have either. That sounds like a good discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hot1nightstands.org.uk

Deleted
    Hot1nightstands.org.uk

10+ Year Old Account
    Wishful thinking.
    Huh? I don't understand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Huh? I don't understand.
    I'd rather not have to explain myself for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    If you enjoy it then I ofc wont stop you as long as you don't try to involve me in them. And I think that a lot of stuff is actually pointless or without any real use.
    Oh, pointless debates is it?
    Me and my friends used to have them all them damn time lol It's always fun.

Ok, wasn't this about whether or not we could have day without night to start off with?
    Anyways; "day" has 2 uses, one is the descriptive, "I can see the sun out, so it must be day" and the other being "it's between these 2 points on the watch, it is therefore day". One I agree with and the other I do not, I can understand both of them however, I just don't agree with one of them.
    This was about whether we could have day without night, yes. I then explained why they rely on the sun, and how they work as time periods, and why due to them being time periods they rely on one and the other. Have you been skimming? D:<
    I put good time into these on-the-spot half-bullshit arguments.

As for your 2 uses theory, yes- Technically, those are 2 different uses. However, the difference is that one of them is a basic, and technically incorrect but still right usage of the word. The first one you said, "I can see the sun out, so it must be day" is a way to use it, but the "day" in that is still a period of time. Seeing the sun is, as I used with an example for night earlier, a characteristic of that period of time. That isn't what day is, however.

The latter, "it's between those 2 points on the watch, it is therefore day" is a the technically incorrect and correct at the same time one. I mean, it's RIGHT, but the sense you're using it is wrong.

You see, the watch is based on the 24-hour schedule of the world. The first example of such a schedule was based off- You guessed right- The positions of the sun. The schedule we use nowadays is also, as you might have guessed, directed by the sun. If we never had the sun, we wouldn't have that measurement of the time of days- Day or Night. In my previous posts I already explained this, and how they relate to the time of days reliance on the sun, and consequently each other.

You can use the characteristics of the day to describe it, but that is still technically incorrect. If that is the basis you wish to use, alright, but that's using an imaginary situation in which one can exist without the other. Perhaps if your argument is for a fantasy world, but not this one.
    Last edited by Chip Zvarri; 2012-10-06 at 07:53 PM.