Thread: Hawken

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Fuck...that was a sneaky wee launch...thanks for pointing that out
    Got coverage on most of the big (and smaller) gaming sites, plus an e-mail to everyone who has a registered account >.>

Just read the news from an Australian gaming blog (http://www.gamearena.com.au/news/rea...17664?latest=1) that it's now in its open beta stage. I played about two hours and it seems like the game is a lot more exciting as I expected. You get used to how the mechs move, start seeing the ways their movement is complex and nuanced. And when you're trying to survive amidst a bunch of people trying to shoot you down, suddenly the game felt more fast-paced.

Something's wrong: game hasn't been updated in over 6 months now; ever since the transition to Steam. Not a single dev blog either.

Been over three months since the last post by the team. I have a very, very bad feeling Meteor is dying.

It's been some 10 months since the last patch (coming up on a full year without a patch!), and 7/14 was the very last post by the team. Ever.

Booted it back up; only three matches have players in them. None even half full.

Time to start shopping for a gravestone?

- - - Updated - - -

After thoroughly looking through the list, it looks like 2/3rds of the servers were taken offline permanently. Only a dozen or so matches up, 10 of them completely empty.

GG Adhesive.

It's too bad, I've been looking for something to scratch that Armored Core itch for PC, and nothing has been close.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Valyrian, our hopes in you. Keep us updated every few months.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    It's too bad, I've been looking for something to scratch that Armored Core itch for PC, and nothing has been close.
    Have you tried Mechwarrior Online?

The forums are down too.

Ingame shop won't let me buy a new skin...

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    The forums are down too.

Ingame shop won't let me buy a new skin...
    Well that's disappointing. Not so much because I play (I played when it launched and then occasionally jumped back in from time to time), but because it was a great success story from a small little indie team and it ended up being a solid little game : /

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Based on reddit, the game is indeed dieing
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's sad. :/ I had high hopes for this game. Blah.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

The team has just posted a list of things they are planning to do, after over a year of silence.

Just to confirm, yes, Hawken is here to stay.

I haven’t been able to say *anything* until just this afternoon, but here’s a checklist of things we’ll be working on:

Fix password reset
    Get Forums working again
    Fix more deployment stuff
    Fix a bunch of tools systems
    Play Hawken
    Fix more back end systems
    Play more Hawken and get rolled by the good players
    Fix Fix Fix (yeah, lots of this)
    Plan new updates and future changes

-capnjosh

"Play more Hawken and get rolled by the good players"

They think they still have players, apparently. Last time I logged in I think I saw one active game, so I just uninstalled assuming that it was abandoned forever.

Oh well, curious to see how things go now that they got purchased by Reloaded Games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I dumped Hawken as soon as they went P2W way back when.

It was DOA on Steam release.

They're making no attempts to improve the gameplay / customization unless it improves the P2W model.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Yeah I dumped Hawken as soon as they went P2W way back when.

It was DOA on Steam release.

They're making no attempts to improve the gameplay / customization unless it improves the P2W model.
    How was it P2W? I remember playing it for a while on Steam and don't ever remember noticing anything that stood out to me or turned me off (and I generally stay away from games that sell power exclusively through the cash shop).

IDK either Edge; if he's talking about the ability to spend IRL money to get equipment earlier as opposed to unlocking them through play, I guess he'd suppose most "F2P" FPS games out there are P2W as well because they do the same (Tribes, Planetside, etc).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Oh well, curious to see how things go now that they got purchased by Reloaded Games.
    Here's the article for those who don't know.

TL;DR, The APB Reloaded guys bought Hawken after Adhesive went down the drain.

Sounds like the game has a chance to recover and grow again. I'm glad to hear it. I still play it every now and then.

I don't agree that Hawken is pay to win. The mechs are easy enough to unlock with in game currency, even easier than League of Legends which I don't think anyone would accuse of P2W and they have no noticeable advantage over the starter CRT mech (which is a well balanced mech and the coolest looking in the game in my opinion).

If anything I'd say that one of the weaknesses of the game is the different mechs that you can unlock don't feel that unique. You have Light, Medium and Heavy classes and different weapon combinations. Once you become acquainted with the game you can pick a mech that has the class and weapon combination you prefer and you have little incentive to play other the other mechs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogeist View Post
    Sounds like the game has a chance to recover and grow again. I'm glad to hear it. I still play it every now and then.

I don't agree that Hawken is pay to win. The mechs are easy enough to unlock with in game currency, even easier than League of Legends which I don't think anyone would accuse of P2W and they have no noticeable advantage over the starter CRT mech (which is a well balanced mech and the coolest looking in the game in my opinion).

If anything I'd say that one of the weaknesses of the game is the different mechs that you can unlock don't feel that unique. You have Light, Medium and Heavy classes and different weapon combinations. Once you become acquainted with the game you can pick a mech that has the class and weapon combination you prefer and you have little incentive to play other the other mechs.
    I agree on all three points.

You can easily unlock all the mechs within a couple dozen hours of gameplay without spending a dime. Many of the top ranking players on the leaderboards use the Walking Microwave as their prime mech. And if the classes had been a little more distinguished from the others (empowering their unique mech ability would be a good start), then there'd be more incentive swap classes as needed. Currently, most people just have a stealth mech for when they need to rip apart those enemy positions and then their other, do everything mech they main.

Still alive and kicking!

Though the game's popularity dropped not like a rock - but like boulder last year - the devs have gotten their act together and are now fixing up the game, and a new update is said to be coming soon™ (the first in over a year and a half!). The dev have started a weekly update blog detaling what's been going on internally, and new servers have opened up; one for Oceanic, one for Asia, and just this week one for the Middle-East (apparently enough people can afford beefy enough computers to play Hawken and therefore justify the devs opening up a server for them, which is something I never knew before).

https://community.playhawken.com/page/news/

Also, it's been a very, very long time coming, but the very-much requested thruster bundle is here! You get every, single, damn thruster. Ever. For just $20. That is ludicrous. You are literally stealing from the devs!