Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Another vote for elementalist:

Each element has a specific aspect: Fire (AoE Damage), Water (Support and Healing), Air (Damage, mobility, minor control), Earth (dots, control, defense). It can switch at ease between each role (jump from damage to heal or to control, etc...). The only downside I can think of is being restricted to one weapon set (well, they have to, otherwise it would be quite OP) and squishy without building toward survivability.

10+ Year Old Account
    OK, OK, OK, I'm convinced, TY guys. I appreciate all the replies. ^^

I'll go off now and do my research to decide between Elementalist & Engineer (and I'll check out Necro/Guard too since a few people mentioned that). I can't wait to get in-game! :D

Engineer, Elementalist or Necromancer (except minion master :P, you don't need to have a single minion if you choose to build that way) sounds like something for you.

Elementalists can heal pretty good in staff water attunement. Necromancers are much tougher than Elementalists though. Highest base health in the game, together with Warriors (but light armor).

Edit: oops, I see you already decided. :P Ah well, try those two ^ too!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    Edit: oops, I see you already decided. :P Ah well, try those two ^ too!
    Don't worry, I'm still reading and love all the feedback. ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Necro for sure

It has strong offensive/ defensive support, conditions and cc (fear chill cripple and weakness)
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    1. When I switch to PvP, I can go Feral and suddenly be a predatory melee spec focused on hunting people down, pressuring squishies, and flipping around to throw spot heals / peels / cures on my friends in-between.
      ^ This is the one I'm still not sure about — can any profs do this sort of changeup? That is, focus on #1 but keep #3 here as a possibility, especially in PvP stuff.
    Well there is an Elementalist build, which currently also considered one of the best for solo pve, that you can conjure a Hammer and play with it 100% as melee. You can find more about here: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...survivability/ .Although I wouldn't recommend it for PVP not because it has any weakness compared to other melees, but because in the game melee in general considered inferior to range, especially in WvW.

I am using it right now and I am very pleased. The Hammer have 25 charges but before it ends up you conjure another one. In the very worst scenario you maby wait 4-5 seconds until you conjure another. But this doesn't mean you cannot do anything in these seconds..You can use your normal weapon abilities in between, but the point is you can be a melee elementalist with a Hammer and perform extremely well if not better at the current state of elementalist
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-10-01 at 02:22 PM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

I'd actually vouch for Warrior.

You see, the warrior ranged options are really powerful and supportive for their groups, and as ranged you can place yourself in the middle to use the Banners and mostly the Shouts with the trait that heals with them. Powerful dots in Bleed and Burning, good control with ranged weapons, good team support.

A Necromancer or Elementalist would probably be a good choice for you. I recommend leveling each to 10 or so and see what you think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    A Necromancer or Elementalist would probably be a good choice for you. I recommend leveling each to 10 or so and see what you think.
    Oh, I'm actually glad you brought that up. So even by early levels, the classes have a good development of their general feel? In WoW, for example, the first 20-30 levels are pretty much useless filler with most of your key playstyle completely missing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerOKami View Post
    I'd actually vouch for Warrior.
    I am intrigued by this unorthodox recommendation, and will check out the threads and wiki on Warrior in more detail. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    Oh, I'm actually glad you brought that up. So even by early levels, the classes have a good development of their general feel? In WoW, for example, the first 20-30 levels are pretty much useless filler with most of your key playstyle completely missing.
    Well you will get a general idea of how each profession plays by then as you will have all of the weapon skills unlocked. However, you won't have any of the specializing done such as traits, a lot of the utility skills and your elite skills. But for a general idea of the playstyle of each profession, playing to level 10 can give you that.

Deleted
    Elementalist is probably just for you,
    I -really- wouldn't recommend Elementalist in their current incarnation. Especially for a beginner to the game. One quote that comes to mind is, 'They're all glass and no cannon'.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well you will get a general idea of how each profession plays by then as you will have all of the weapon skills unlocked. However, you won't have any of the specializing done such as traits, a lot of the utility skills and your elite skills. But for a general idea of the playstyle of each profession, playing to level 10 can give you that.
    I would say for most professions this does apply. However, this does not apply to the engineer at all, as a lot of their gameplay revolves around weapon kits that are obtained from utility skills. Yes by level 10 you could have one or maybe two of these kits if you collect a lot of skill points, but a level 10 engineer is not at all indicative of the playstyle going further. Having said that I would still recommend either trying an engineer or checking out some videos of gameplay with the different kits (grenades, flamethrower, elixir gun, bombs and so on, dunno if I forgot any) and see if they appeal to you, so you can get a slightly better grasp of the different options you have as an engineer.

Deleted
    To be honest, every profession you pick will be good as a beginner profession, it is merely about personal opinion in the end.

Comparing the two professions I have played to 80, which are guardian and engineer; I prefer engineer by far, guardian is mostly about killing your opponent without thinking to far, other than to swirl in a circle of a symbol, or being stationered at the back of a gate in WvW and throw-out heals here and there.

The CC you have with an Engineer is just amazing, with a rifle and gadget spec, you simply fly around the field with the enemy(ies) bouncing to the left and the right of the screen. With a Kit spec, you get permanent switfness, and amazing fun utilizing the kits you find approtiate for the battle you are about to conquer! The support and the number of combo fields are amazing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcrest View Post
    To be honest, every profession you pick will be good as a beginner profession, it is merely about personal opinion in the end.

Comparing the two professions I have played to 80, which are guardian and engineer; I prefer engineer by far, guardian is mostly about killing your opponent without thinking to far, other than to swirl in a circle of a symbol, or being stationered at the back of a gate in WvW and throw-out heals here and there.

The CC you have with an Engineer is just amazing, with a rifle and gadget spec, you simply fly around the field with the enemy(ies) bouncing to the left and the right of the screen. With a Kit spec, you get permanent switfness, and amazing fun utilizing the kits you find approtiate for the battle you are about to conquer! The support and the number of combo fields are amazing as well.
    Oh, now I feel like playing my Engineer again. Much more fun than I expected it to be. Grenades underwater is GOD. Love the auto-attack fix now.

OP, you can even equip a med-kit and throw out bandages, condition-remover and a buff as an Engineer on fairly short cooldowns. The bandages doesn't heal for humongous amounts, but it's something.

Yea the auto-attack fix is the simplest QoL change but so absolutely amazing. I'm absolutely thrilled to not have to continually ctrl-right click my auto attack every time I equip a kit. That was damn annoying and I'm so glad they adjusted it. I had people telling me in my guild that the unsaved auto attack was intended and was the tradeoff for being able to swap what is essentially different weapons on no cd. That's just bull, and I'm glad Anet changed it.

OT: I think engineer is winning this thread :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    Oh, now I feel like playing my Engineer again. Much more fun than I expected it to be. Grenades underwater is GOD. Love the auto-attack fix now.
    Have you tried the Grenade kit fully traited in the Power-traitline? OP shaite - on land as well. And in WvW as well. - With Power-precision-crit dmg gear - you may one shot people with the tool-belt trait combined with extra grenade trait - using Grenade Barrage ability from the tool-belt :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcrest View Post
    Have you tried the Grenade kit fully traited in the Power-traitline? OP shaite - on land as well. And in WvW as well. - With Power-precision-crit dmg gear - you may one shot people with the tool-belt trait combined with extra grenade trait - using Grenade Barrage ability from the tool-belt :P
    She's only level 27 atm, but I will definitely try that. Thanks!
    Also thinking of trying a "tanky bomber" build. Crazy Ivan says hi.