Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    I only bring forth the hate if your name is XxCoDprowqikscope1337swagYolOxX

Quote Originally Posted by Seahnjin View Post
    -It's really unoriginal
    -Anime fans are stereotyped as teenaged social outcasts LOL KAKKOI RANDOM DESU ^____^ (which is somewhat hypocritical coming from WoW players, but nerds hate each other)

Personally, it pisses me off in a special way because I play on a RP server. I know a BE rogue named Kasûmi (complete with stupid accent, because I guess there already is a Kasumi but he really wanted to be a Kasumi too, and French keyboards just kind of lend themselves to multiple silly accents). Why ? Couldn't you pick a more elvish name ? Come on.
    Haha, on RP servers, I very much agree. Maaaaaaybe for an orc blademaster because their names in Warcraft 3 were Japanese, but that's about all.

Deleted
    I'm not particularily fond of the japanese sounding names or the whole culture, mostly because I had to endure a lot of the weeaboo kids in school (a lot of them took the same classes as I did).

I wouldn't ever belittle anyone for their name though. Hell I named my druid Trollsahoy (Trolls ahoy - simple as that), which got shortened to Trollsa and is basically what everyone refers me by now anyway.

I'm pretty numb to names. Except for the names of my enemies in battlegrounds. I tend to make funny stories up about them as I kill them. Anime name, racial name, serious name, fun name, qt name, it doesn't matter. However, having an unoriginal name tends to lend itself to receiving negative feedback.

"Oh hey look. It's Doomchikinz. More like Kentucky Fried Chikinz."

I don't see how using a name from an anime is any different from using a name from any other show/book/movie/whatever.

All but one of my characters have names I got from other sources. People sometimes comment on them, but I haven't been made fun of as of yet.
    Last edited by Rocket Surgeon; 2012-10-03 at 04:54 AM.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

I personally Don't mind any name in wow is it Japanese,anime,Asian,middle-eastern or whatever,unless it is something along the lines of XxwhatevernamehereXx,but even thou I don't comment on it or judge him by his name I just keep it to myself.
    I took the name I wanted he have that right as much as everyone else.

Thats what I personally think .

On topic I don't take anime names I sometime take Japanese names or words ,but directly from anime or game I don't do that.
    My female priest toon named Raimei which means thunder in Japanese, or some times Umibozu which translates to sea monk, I think.

Oh,also before anyone say something my name Lunarknight I have been using it for my net name even before that game was released.
    Last edited by Cenci; 2012-10-03 at 07:28 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chodeman View Post
    I'd judge someone based on name if their name was XXButtPlugzXX
    It's good you don't know what his name means then:

Quote Originally Posted by Rasstapp View Post
    To be fair, your name too... (and mine, if anyone actually knows what it means)

I play on a server where 50% of the population writes their names like Sáêrtzhütóózu or something like that, so a Sasukenaruto or Kakashilove is actually a welcome sight, because at least then I probably won't have to fight a language barrier. Not hating on people with bad english, just the problems bad english causes.

Deleted
    I have never ever told someone anything about their name, except some spanish guy who was called Bajs, and that is poop in swedish.

I think you should be allowed to call you character what ever you want, as long as it dont offend people in general. I do how ever get a bit annoyed about everyone using stuipd versions of Lord of the Ring names, like Leegolas, Bílbo and stuff like that.

I am in the mid 40s and I have no clue about any anime names, so I couldnt say anything even if I would want that. The only anime I ever watched was some Robotech in my early 20s. For the record I also think that many people in the late 20s are still kids in many aspects, and they should be proud over it.

You have NO idea how great you had it in your generation... imagine what it was like to be me, growing up in high school in the early 90s when your two primary things you enjoyed was Anime and Doctor Who - and those two things made you to be considered an outcast antisocial nerd for it.

Sigh... having said that... :P

The problem with Anime names isn't so much the Anime... but the "it's cool to bag on the social-sect-crowd". I'm certain Bronies get this kinda harassment all the time.

It also doesn't help when you name your character names like "Narutoninja"... not only taking on the name of a known popular anime, but attaching something simple as "ninja" at the end makes it sound... well... very uncreative and very fanboy-ish.

At least name yourself off of another character that's NOT the main title of the anime. Had a guildie who named himself "Zabuza" and I was the only one who caught where he got that name from. 6 years later I commented to him about that and he said "I have to admit I'm not proud of naming my character that today..."

It's fandom... it happens. :P

To me, anime is, like so many things, 99.99% awful, much like, say, reality TV. It's the rare gem that's worth your time, yet somehow there's this massive population that seems to like all of the tripe.

So, it has nothing at all to do with childishness (I'm not worried about that, people should take more time to enjoy being childish), but when I see a character with some random name of an anime character, all I can think is you're basically naming your character after somebody from Jersey Shore.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    You have NO idea how great you had it in your generation... imagine what it was like to be me, growing up in high school in the early 90s when your two primary things you enjoyed was Anime and Doctor Who - and those two things made you to be considered an outcast antisocial nerd for it.
    You don't usually sound like a hipster with your statements, but when you do, good lord mary and jesus.

But yeah, it is almost as bad as being the only one in school interested in metal music and playing flute instead of football and cars, back in the early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Narutoninja View Post
    Ok, so Naruto is like Bugs Bunny or Wunnie the Poo. Well it seems I should do the adult thing and name my character using a sexual reference, right Eroginous???

Offtopic, I do hate with passion the edited English dubbed version, so I watch the subbed one where voice acting is much better too, but even there some stuff are edited out like Shikamaru starting smoking like his teacher.
    The 'adult' thing to do would be to decide whether or not you care about other people's opinions. Not make a big deal about them after you decide to do something they will inevitably form an opinion about. I could care less if someone makes a character named 'Winnie the Poo' or 'Naruto.' But when you come to the forums and cry about being made fun of for doing it, well then yeah, no shit. Either learn to stop caring about what other people think, or don't do things that will incite ridicule.

Also, I don't currently have any characters named Eroginous, though I used to. It wasn't a pointless sexual inference I came up with just to be cool. I used to have an undead mage and the first thing I thought of during the creation screen was how not-sexy undead look. So I named it Eroginous (because Erogenous was taken) out of irony. Eventually I name changed it to something else entirely different out of boredom.

It's obnoxious and unoriginal, so it's not so much as your name annoys them as you're likely the 50 or 60th person with that name they've run into.

15+ Year Old Account
    If I'm on my roleplay server and I see one (they're EVERYWHERE) it sends up a red flag but I won't outright judge them unless they have a similarly horrible MRP profile to go with it (they usually do).

I don't care the source of your name so long as it looks like a name.

I wouldn't even give a character named Naruto a second glance. But someone named Naaruto, Naruuto, Narutoo, or any other variation is annoying. If the correct spelling is already taken then think of a different name.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    If the correct spelling is already taken then think of a different name.
    Yes, I think the same.

@ Eroginous
    Ok, I am renaming to Trousersnake