Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

Food Stamp Ridicule Humiliates Woman At The Supermarket

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ef=mostpopular

I think it's pretty disgusting that a person would say to this person.

Quoting from Article

He finally just said, 'Okay, just give it to her.' I said, 'See, I told you it was covered by food stamps,' and he said, 'Excuse me for working for a living and not relying on food stamps!'"

and then she

"I turned around and saw everyone beyond me and I just burst into tears," she said.

I'd probably get frustrated occasionally if I worked at a grocery store too. While his response was inappropriate, I can't say I really care.

What a horrible and malicious and wrongful thing to say.

That jerk must be one of those retards with extreme cognitive dissonance, like this douchebag:
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-09-25 at 09:43 PM.

He has nothing to be proud of either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like this, maybe if more people were shamed like we did in the 50s they would have more self pride and pick up an extra job or 2 instead of sucking off my tax teat.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I like this, maybe if more people were shamed like we did in the 50s they would have more self pride and pick up an extra job or 2 instead of sucking off my tax teat.
    She's on dialysis 12 hours a day, but hey, don't let compassion get in the way of your politics, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because someone has food stamps doesn't mean they're lazy or jobless... Hell I know people with TWO JOBS that get food stamps and they still can barely afford rent or gas, and never have any spending money after bills.

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'd probably get frustrated occasionally if I worked at a grocery store too. While his response was inappropriate, I can't say I really care.
    It's obvious he was just frustrated with her and spoke out of turn. Retail is all computers, some item she had that may or may not be foot stamp eligible was flagged as not eligible. Rather than "oh, sorry, just take that off", she argued with the cashier about it's eligibility. Right or wrong about the item in particular, the manager came over and she stuck to her guns. The reason there were people to look at for her to feel embarassed is because most likely this was holding up an entire register.

Then when the manager says "just give it to her", she doesn't thank him or anything, she instead continues with "I told you I was right". He wasn't saying the item should or should not be food stamp eligible, he was just giving her $10 worth of merchandise to get the line moving and avoid an argument and she had to keep it going to be "right". So he said something he shouldn't have.

I know plenty of folks on EBT cards, and work in retail and deal with folks. I've also been behind customers like this in stores and the embarrassment was most likely because she was arguing over some stupid item, not because she was using EBT. (For instance, one time when I was in a grocery store, a lady was trying to get a shrimp ring, but since it's "prepared" food, it was flagged as non-ebt, so she argued about it.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    She's on dialysis 12 hours a day, but hey, don't let compassion get in the way of your politics, right?
    I read that but it also said her husband has a carpentry business and if he doesnt have a job, they dont get paid. Why cant he go out and get another job to supplement the failing construction business?

Someone should inform that guy that people with jobs can still qualify for food stamps.

We've vastly over-corrected. There's a middle ground between compassion and holding others accountable.

I work on the business side of a healthcare field and I routinely deal with people on Medicaid. A lot of them truly deserve to be on it, but just as many are quick to tout their pride that they are.

Part of dealing with people on government programs is not making them feel like a piece of shit for needing the assistance. In conjunction, part of being a person on a government program is acknowledging that you need the assistance while not acting like a piece of shit for having it.

Somewhere we got lost along the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read that but it also said her husband has a carpentry business and if he doesnt have a job, they dont get paid. Why cant he go out and get another job to supplement the failing construction business?
    There is a massive difference between what a construction contract pays and what you might be able to get working a temp job at a grocery store or wal-mart.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Maybe he's busy taking care of the family and his wife with kidney failure. Not that there's many jobs with flexible enough time schedules for him to keep his carpentry business or even just jobs.

Are you delusional?!?!?!??

Do you realize that the amount of people on foods stamps is pretty much equal with the amount of people in poverty? Do you realize we have less jobs than we have people, so please explain where the fuck you're finding 2-3 jobs for every person who doesn't have sufficient income.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    It's obvious he was just frustrated with her and spoke out of turn. Retail is all computers, some item she had that may or may not be foot stamp eligible was flagged as not eligible. Rather than "oh, sorry, just take that off", she argued with the cashier about it's eligibility. Right or wrong about the item in particular, the manager came over and she stuck to her guns. The reason there were people to look at for her to feel embarassed is because most likely this was holding up an entire register.

Then when the manager says "just give it to her", she doesn't thank him or anything, she instead continues with "I told you I was right". He wasn't saying the item should or should not be food stamp eligible, he was just giving her $10 worth of merchandise to get the line moving and avoid an argument and she had to keep it going to be "right". So he said something he shouldn't have.

I know plenty of folks on EBT cards, and work in retail and deal with folks. I've also been behind customers like this in stores and the embarrassment was most likely because she was arguing over some stupid item, not because she was using EBT. (For instance, one time when I was in a grocery store, a lady was trying to get a shrimp ring, but since it's "prepared" food, it was flagged as non-ebt, so she argued about it.)
    This sounds about right. We've seen only her version of the story, and yet it still includes her saying, "I told you I was right". It's easy for me to imagine being in that position, with this slovenly looking woman holding up the line so she can get her free shit, being argumentative, giving her something for free, and then having her harangue me and then saying something I shouldn't in a moment of frustration. It's unfortunate that this person happened to be someone that was actually sick.

The world must seem awfully nice from such an ignorant point of view.

The manager definitely spoke out of line. Insulting customers isn't exactly the best policy.

Muh taxes should go to the freedom wars of amurrica instead of feedin the freeloading poor damn them for taking 1% of muh war funds

1) jobs ARE NOT PLENTIFUL or have you missed this for the past, oh, four years?
    2) flexibility is an issue, or have you not thought of this.

People tend to forget that it's hard to get a job, simply because they have a job. They figure, well I got a job why can't they get a job? It's as silly as a billionaire saying "well i'm a billionaire why can't they be a billionaire, they're just lazy."

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Do you realize that the amount of people on foods stamps is pretty much equal with the amount of people in poverty?
    For some values of "poverty".

Great idea! In fact, if all the unemployed people would just go out and find a job, the unemployment rate would drop to near zero!

Why didn't anyone else think of that?!?!?!