Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    TIL 90% of MMO-Champion poster are geniuses.

The average IQ is, per definition, 100 and I expect the same thing to be true here.

If i recall correctly (which i doubt i do) i made a test from some swedish authority at a friend's house when i was around 10-11(this friend is one hell of a science wiz so he knows what he talks about, and he is 4years older than me). And i scored something around 115-125 and the test was for adults(dunno if that matters). I have good grades so i'm definetly above average, that's for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did one about 10 years ago,back then it was 126 i think,now after 3 kids and World of Warcraft,probably about 6.

I just remembered taking the test at 16, when a counselor gave me the test, and I got 136 for sure, I definitely remember that.

So maybe I'm 126 now lol! I also heard the test/scoring is different depending on how old you are, I dunno much about it. It's cool to be able to quantify intelligence the way we can with physical prowess, however flawed.

My dad took a test on the mensa website and made me take one too. He got 136 and i got 142 - Now i wont let him hear the end of it because thats how he would be had it been the other way around xD

Deleted
    Growing up I always thought I was pretty smart. Mostly because I did really well at maths and physics without any real effort. So based mostly on curiousity, I did take the Mensa test in my early 20s (the real one, not the online one) and passed, which would put me at 132+ or somesuch. Apparently the entry test wasn't sufficiently difficult to measure anything above that with any great accuracy. I doubt I would able to achieve much higher though.

That being said, I believe that iq tests mainly show how good you are at iq tests and that being good at them doesn't make you a better person in any way.

Oh, and the online "take this test for free and if you like it, we'll let you take a proper test for only $9.95" are just silly. They always give you an inflated score to sucker you into paying. Try giving a random answer without even reading the questions and see if you even get below 100.

Regarding most posters giving high scores I'm not surprised. I'm sure some are due to silly online tests, some due to outright lies but I expect the biggest factor is that people who feel that their IQ isn't high enough simply keep their mouths shut. I know I probably would if the question was "How much can you benchpress?"

Too low to test, that's for damn sure. I'd guess around 90.

Deleted
    mensa - "lets offer a subscription based membership to the top 2% of the population"..... yea that sounds like a genius business model .....

Deleted
    I don't know mine, but I remember taking an online test, I know lol, and it gave me like 128? I can't remember, but it was an online test so lol, not very accurate and it was in English, not my main language.

I'd like to take and IQ test someday but I don't see how I can do one here.

15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't taken a proper one, only the online 'you have 130!' rubbish IQ tests which mean nothing. However I will be taking a proper one shortly (an expensive once used in hospitals apparently).

The IQ tests are good at young ages but become increasingly inaccurate as our brains develop more specialized reasoning. You'll find that a simple mechanic might score far higher in tests that a doctor might do poorly in, depending on what factors the test is designed for. A chemist would do well at a mathematics IQ test, probably not so well with one to test logic or abstract thought. There are many kinds. When I was little, I was given three separate IQ tests, I did very well on two of them and below average on the other.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    The IQ tests are good at young ages but become increasingly inaccurate as our brains develop more specialized reasoning. You'll find that a simple mechanic might score far higher in tests that a doctor might do poorly in, depending on what factors the test is designed for. A chemist would do well at a mathematics IQ test, probably not so well with one to test logic or abstract thought. There are many kinds. When I was little, I was given three separate IQ tests, I did very well on two of them and below average on the other.
    Idk about you, but I took one of those super accurate online IQ tests and I scored 187? I bet I am way smarter than all of you on this forum.

I don't know, I haven't done IQ tests.

Internet IQ tests means shit, hell, IQ tests overall means nothing.

Deleted
    142 according to a "real" test I did a couple years ago.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    TIL 90% of MMO-Champion poster are geniuses.

The average IQ is, per definition, 100 and I expect the same thing to be true here.
    Are you saying this because you really have no idea how environments/participation can skew results or because MMOC posters are stupid lol.

I was tested several times throughout school, and my scores were pretty stable at about 145. My online IQ tests are about the same.

Therefore, they must be heavily overestimating the online score, because alcohol has killed a ton of brain cells since my last real IQ test.

I made this post back at page 7, but about a minute before I submited it, my internet went down. It just got back up, so copy paste.

I've done a dozen online tests since the turn of the millenia, and I'd label half of them as happy-meters, and the other half as inaccurate. There was only one that I did take that I felt at least closely resemble something proper, but it was done so long ago I don't even remember where I found it. And to those saying it's too expensive to test your intelligence, a submission test to Mensa here in Sweden costs 200SEK (like... 30USD?), so it's definitely not expensive.

And I don't really support the IQ model. For one, I've outsmarted all of my friends with similar or higher IQ than myself (remember, only done internet tests) that I've met and gotten to know IRL (over the internet doesn't really count, you need time and exposure to someone to more accurately read that person). Which brings me to an indirect response to one of the posts I read in this thread, the odds aren't against you having plenty of high-IQ friends if you have a high IQ yourself. We meet new people every day, and those that stick in your mind are those you have things in common with. Not counting elementary school, where friends for me were scarce and I took what I could get, I can't think of a single friend I've had/have I'd estimate an IQ below 120, with two exceptions.

First was a love interest many years back (still friends though) who has an IQ around 85-90 (my estimate, I'd never consider asking her to take a test to satisfy my own curiosity). Despite her low intelligence, we see eye to eye on everything, and she's the only person I've truly gotten along with. She's not retarded, she's just slow. I don't know why, but she manages to pull it off and look cute at the same time. The second one was an ex of mine. Over time it became more and more obvious she wasn't as intelligent as I had envisioned a partner of mine to be, and it also led to the realization that we had basically nothing in common. We got along fine, we just didn't really have anything to talk about (though amusingly, this is something she didn't even realize). It went so far that I got panic attacks when she opened her mouth, I just couldn't stand her. The only way I knew how to settle this internal war I had was to make her sit through an online intelligent test, the most accurate one I knew of at the time. She scored 97. When she told me I was just about to facepalm (in my head, didn't want to offend her) when she screamed out loud of happiness. She was proud of her score.

That's also another thing I detest about (online) IQ tests. Multiple choices. Meaning, if you don't know the answer, you've nothing to lose by gambling on the answers. Whenever I did IQ tests, if I didn't know the answer, I didn't answer it, period. I've had friends who are decently intelligent, but with scores that almost rival my own due to the fact that they gambled on answers and got them right. How can you think that's actually your IQ, if you don't know the answers, and guess? Like one of them said, "tippat har man förr!" (~"I've gambled before!") with a broad smile on his face.

I made an IQ test for my English class in 8th grade. I won't say it was accurate, but I'd wager it at least was as accurate as many of the online tests floating around. The highest score was at 128, and second highest was at 121 (3rd: 118, 4th: 116, those are the ones I remember). As I was the one administering the test, I didn't take it myself. Since the test was done in English class, the questions were in English. For students who've only read English a few years, reading "The glove is to the hand, as the shoe is to the...?", and stuff like that, can be utterly confusing.

TL;DR:
    IQ is a crude way to measure intelligence, which is why I'm not sharing mine. Love and respect me for what I think and for my views and for my respect for humanity, and for my achievements, not for how fast I derive conclusions. I think a former poster made a good analogy with the MQ (Muscle Quotient).

Deleted
    I took one in high school when I was 12-13 or something, I scored 144. It isn't a measure of intelligence. In the real world, IQ means jack shit.
    For example, I was really good at maths (yep, the English spelling, deal with it) and physics, bio and chemistry, but I really had a hard time with English, in the reading tests. I was simply unable to read between the lines. I think I got like a B or something then in English, and an A* in both maths and the sciences.
    Really, I don't think English writing ability needs to be tested in exams - if your writing is clear and understandable, and you can get your point through, you don't need all that nancy - pancy shit that your teachers tell you about. Unless you want a career in English, of course - that's why I think they should make English an optional choice.

Edit: Does IQ change over time? Or does it stay the same? I've probably developed intellectually since then.
    Last edited by mmocb5e225659b; 2012-10-09 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post
    I took one in high school when I was 12-13 or something, I scored 144. It isn't a measure of intelligence. In the real world, IQ means jack shit.
    For example, I was really good at maths (yep, the English spelling, deal with it) and physics, bio and chemistry, but I really had a hard time with English, in the reading tests. I was simply unable to read between the lines. I think I got like a B or something then in English, and an A* in both maths and the sciences.
    Really, I don't think English writing ability needs to be tested in exams - if your writing is clear and understandable, and you can get your point through, you don't need all that nancy - pancy shit that your teachers tell you about. Unless you want a career in English, of course - that's why I think they should make English an optional choice.

Edit: Does IQ change over time? Or does it stay the same? I've probably developed intellectually since then.
    Good points here. A high IQ is just one tool in a person's toolbag. Common sense, wisdom, experience, you need lots of different things to get along in this world. Sometimes a person can also be too smart for their own good!

Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Are you saying this because you really have no idea how environments/participation can skew results or because MMOC posters are stupid lol.
    I see no reason that "posts on a popular forum" should skew results.