PVP Power or Intel?

According to a link I just read, if you could gem 100% pvp power over 100% intel that you will end up doing more damage with pvp power (plenty of numbers were involved). However, what about pets?? I noticed that an 80intel+160pvppower gem took my pets attack power down a couple hundred compared to 160intel gem. Why did they do this pvp power crap in the first place? It just makes everything more confusing.

So it seems apparent that if i want a strong pet by gemming all intel, i'll have to gimp my personal damage against other players. If i gem for pvp power my personal damage will increase against other players but my pet will be gimped. This really irritates me.

Two of the more commonly used specs I see are destro and afflic, both of which tend to play as "petless" with Grimoire of Sacrifice.

This to me makes it more likely that pvp power heavy build would be a more ideal given that your pet may not always be used. Demo would likely be the hardest hit by this if this is indeed true.

-Disclaimer: I am just thinking out loud here I am by no means an expert on pvp at present-

I was actually wondering if pvp power influenced my pets at all... considering I'm currently pvping as Demonology, I think I might have to re-think my stat allocation.