Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Professor Steven Hawking (theoretical physics, Cambridge)
    Professor Brian Cox (particle physics, Manchester)
    Richard Dawkins (ret. Professor) (evolutionary biology, Oxford)

Deleted
    Auberey der grey (However you spell his name)
    Steve Hawkings
    Richard Dawkins

Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Brian Cox
    For fun...Giorgio A. Tsoukalos - Google him if you don't know, I'm sure you'll recognize his picture

Yes, I know he's not a scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

David Suzuki (geneticist)
    David Bundle (carbohydrate chemist)
    David Schindler (ecologist)

Weird that the first three I thought of all had the same first name...

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Schrodinger's Cat is not directly related to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, it's more to do with the inability to measure a result given a random event as opposed to Heisenberg's relating to the inability to measure both momentum and position simultaneously of a particle. The box is a thought experiment surrounding a total lack of observation leading to both results being simultaneously true, versus Uncertainty Principle being that the moment you take the measurement, you have affected the system and cannot measure the other with any accuracy without the first measurement now being untrue.

Which leads to my favorite physics joke...Why are Physicists bad at sex? Because when they find the position, they can't work out the momentum and when they do find the momentum, they've lost the position.
    The idea behind the cat was that observing a particle collapsed its quantum state and locked it into a behavior set.

Here's some guys who observed a quantum state without collapsing it.

Not sure if these are the same guys Didactic is referring to though.

What's with all the dead scientists being mentioned? The topic says "living".

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    Giorgio A. Tsoukalos
    don't even have to look him up, and am not sure why I even watch that show lol

What counts? I could name a dozen economists lol

Paul Krugman
    Arvid Carlsson
    Dan Shechtman
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Dr. Emmett Brown
    Miles Dyson
    Giorgio A. Tsoukalos
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Stephen Hawking
    Adam Savage
    Phil Harding from the "Time Team"

That was a lot harder than I thought.
    Last edited by mmoc167933ed71; 2012-10-10 at 10:52 PM.

Nassim Haramein
    Pim van Lommel
    Stephen Hawkins
    Ours not to make reply. Ours not to reason why. Ours but to do and die!

Michio Kaku
    Alan Guth
    Roger Penrose

if the last two do not meet the vague definition of "famous" then add Hawking, Dawkins, Goodall, Watson and if all else fails let me throw Bill Nye in too.
    I have been chosen by the big metal hand in the sky!

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    The idea behind the cat was that observing a particle collapsed its quantum state and locked it into a behavior set.

Here's some guys who observed a quantum state without collapsing it.

Not sure if these are the same guys Didactic is referring to though.
    That's pretty much it exactly. The Cat in the paradox is in a state of superposition, and once observing it you destroy that superposition and are left with just the one. The experiment there and the ones that the other two fellas won the Nobel for creating the methods of suspending a particle (photon) to measure it's quantum states, without destroying the superposition. It's near-to the idea of the uncertainty principle, in that it's dealing with the measurement of quantum states but not specifically smashing the difficulty with measuring the momentum and the position simultaneously between interacting particles.

In fact in that article you can see that their measurements did damage the system in which the particle was present in, by altering its oscillation. But being corrected for it by countering the effect, however that's then altering it again just in another way. That part is Heisenberg at work.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-10-10 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Niel DeGrasse Tyson

Bill Nye

Michio Kaku

came to me in that order (and no "they are too mainstream/easy to be counted" bs, they are all scientists, regardless of how well reknown they are.)
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Deleted
    Couldn't even name one...

I mean, I know Hawking and I even read one of his books, but I wouldn't ever have thought of him as a scientist (dunno why...), though he's a valid choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Niel DeGrasse Tyson

Bill Nye

Michio Kaku

came to me in that order (and no "they are too mainstream/easy to be counted" bs, they are all scientists, regardless of how well reknown they are.)
    I'm pretty sure Bill Nye is an engineer rather than a scientist per se.

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 10:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    That's pretty much it exactly. The Cat in the paradox is in a state of superposition, and once observing it you destroy that superposition and are left with just the one. The experiment there and the ones that the other two fellas won the Nobel for creating the methods of suspending a particle (photon) to measure it's quantum states, without destroying the superposition. It's near-to the idea of the uncertainty principle, in that it's dealing with the measurement of quantum states but not specifically smashing the difficulty with measuring the momentum and the position simultaneously between interacting particles.

In fact in that article you can see that their measurements did damage the system in which the particle was present in, by altering its oscillation. But being corrected for it by countering the effect, however that's then altering it again just in another way. That part is Heisenberg at work.
    Actually they were observing it and when the quantum state began to collapse they "closed the box" and allowed the state to return to normal. They didn't alter it directly at all.

Michio Kaku
    Stephen Hawking
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

---------- Post added 2012-10-10 at 07:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Neil Tyson, don't remember the spelling of the middle name
    Michiu Kakou, most likely spelled wrong
    Bill Nye

The first two I'm a big fan of, Bill I just recently saw some videos where he featured in on Youtube
    His name isn't "Michiu" it's Michio and his surname isn't "Kakou" it's Kaku. I've never heard his name said "Ka Ko"

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Actually they were observing it and when the quantum state began to collapse they "closed the box" and allowed the state to return to normal. They didn't alter it directly at all.

They countered the oscillation with an opposite charge. It's in the "Quantum Pacemaker" section. In effect the particle had changed its properties as a result of the measurement (uncertainty) and then introducing an external opposing charge restoring it.

That being said Schrodinger's Cat and these experiments are more to do with the Observer Effect, not the Uncertainty Principle. Though they are often mixed together but operate different levels of the quantum effect. The Uncertainty Principle for example doesn't require a "human observer", merely the interaction with other particles creates a change. ie. an electron interacting with a photon.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-10-10 at 11:12 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    James Watson
    Craig Ventner
    Eric Kandel

"Famous" is a matter of opinion, really. Watson and Crick figured out the shape of DNA (by looking at Rosalind Franklin's work). Ventner was a big part of the Human Genome Project. Kandel's probably the least 'famous' of those, but anyone that's taken a class in neurobiology or memory has probably heard his name a few times.

Can't name one because I am not even remotely interested, I couldn't care less.