Thread: [Movies] Looper

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Movies] Looper

This movie blew my freaking mind. Anyone else seen it yet? What did you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty good. I was a major fan of the abrupt ending; Joseph Gordon-Levitt has a gaping hole in his chest, Bruce Willis does a disappearing act, Emily Blum picks up the kid and takes him home, the end. Was really glad they didn't linger on it.

My sister made an interesting connection in that Abe and Kid Blue might be the same person, since Abe more than once says something to Kid Blue with the effect of "I can't let you keep fucking this up for [us/me]." Dunno if I agree with that, I'd probably have to re-watch the movie and pay closer attention to the mannerisms they gave the characters.
    Last edited by PizzaSHARK; 2012-10-03 at 08:58 AM.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Pretty good. I was a major fan of the abrupt ending; Joseph Gordon-Levitt has a gaping hole in his chest, Bruce Willis does a disappearing act, Emily Blum picks up the kid and takes him home, the end. Was really glad they didn't linger on it.

My sister made an interesting connection in that Abe and Kid Blue might be the same person, since Abe more than once says something to Kid Blue with the effect of "I can't let you keep fucking this up for [us/me]." Dunno if I agree with that, I'd probably have to re-watch the movie and pay closer attention to the mannerisms they gave the characters.
    Hmm, that is an interesting theory. (kid blue is the "wannabe cowboy" right?). I'll pay attention to that next time i watch it.

Also, i would put a spoiler warning in that post, just in case people havent seen it

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really liked it. It was kind of predictable toward the end, but there are only so many ways you can really end a time travel movie like that.

There was one thing that annoyed me though. How does Sara know so much about loopers? It was mentioned a couple of times but never explained. Not even in a vague, 'I knew about them from my time in the city' sort of way.

"Go to China."
    "I'm going to France."
    "I'm from the future. Trust me, go to China."

Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    I really liked it. It was kind of predictable toward the end, but there are only so many ways you can really end a time travel movie like that.

There was one thing that annoyed me though. How does Sara know so much about loopers? It was mentioned a couple of times but never explained. Not even in a vague, 'I knew about them from my time in the city' sort of way.

"Go to China."
    "I'm going to France."
    "I'm from the future. Trust me, go to China."
    Seems like people knowing about Loopers is like knowing the gangs in your neighbourhood/city. Most people know who they are, or at least where/what they are, even if they have nothing to do with them. Most of them don't exactly hide, wandering around with blunderbusses and all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Seems like people knowing about Loopers is like knowing the gangs in your neighbourhood/city. Most people know who they are, or at least where/what they are, even if they have nothing to do with them. Most of them don't exactly hide, wandering around with blunderbusses and all.
    Well, Abe effectively owns the city, and he also runs the Loopers, so what're the people gonna do if they see a Looper wandering around with a gun? Report him to the police?
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Well, Abe effectively owns the city, and he also runs the Loopers, so what're the people gonna do if they see a Looper wandering around with a gun? Report him to the police?
    That was my point.

Loved the kid in the movie. I could even hear other people in the theater chatting about him.

Reminded me a bit like Inception as it left a bit up to interpretation but the plotline(s) were fairly easy to understand.

15+ Year Old Account
    Was pretty good, I believe the kid and Jeff Daniels have something in common though, maybe the same person, scar could be hiding under that beard!

Kid Blue being Abe?

Thats interesting... I'm inclined to say no because Abe does in NO way look like what an older Kid Blue might, but neither did Old Joe for young Joe...

I actually wondered if Kid Blue was Abes son at a point though, due to his desperate seeking for praise.

Also, wouldn't Abe not have smashed Kid Blues hand with the hammer if they were the same person? Seems kind of likely that could potentially cause permanent damage if he crushed it hard enough, and if they were the same Abe wouldn't keep putting Kid Blue in dangers way, since if Kid Blue died, so would he.

Also, am I the only one who thought that the scene with old Seth being taken apart bit by bit as they were obviously mutilating and torturing young Seth was absolutely... brutal and disturbing beyond anything I have seen in a long time?
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Excellent movie, my only complain was it felt like the scenes with beatrix character (her name I think, the hooker from the beginning of the movie) was just in it so they could slap an R rating on the movie. (I may have missed something but her whole plot line didn't help out the movie really in my opinion, seemed a little pointless), but anyways the movie was excellent and one of the best sci-fi movies I have seen for a good 10 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    Also, wouldn't Abe not have smashed Kid Blues hand with the hammer if they were the same person? Seems kind of likely that could potentially cause permanent damage if he crushed it hard enough, and if they were the same Abe wouldn't keep putting Kid Blue in dangers way, since if Kid Blue died, so would he.
    If events didn't deviate much, his memory should be fairly clear... and towards the end Abe seemed to be trying to keep Kid Blue OUT of the action when it started to get out of control.

It feels right to me that Abe is Kid Blue... there was so much talk about 'going back in time to protect someone who died, etc', that having Kid Blue resent his place in the city and want to come back to rule it.... fits.

Looper movie is action movie. I have watched this movie. The story line and the music of this movie is very interesting. This movie got good review from viewers. I hope they will make Looper 2 movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    Also, am I the only one who thought that the scene with old Seth being taken apart bit by bit as they were obviously mutilating and torturing young Seth was absolutely... brutal and disturbing beyond anything I have seen in a long time?
    To be fair, I'm pretty sure young Seth was totally unconscious and anesthetized, honestly not a terrible way to go. It does make me wonder why they did it that way. Why not kill young Seth and have old Seth vanish? And if that would cause some problem in the future, wouldn't young Seth's lack of appendages have the same effect?

Stranger still, I didn't understand why they'd always send old Loopers back to be killed by their younger selves... rather than by a different Looper. I mean, you're just asking for trouble doing that. But maybe gangsters of the future accept that additional risk simply to enjoy the poetic nature of the situation.

OH!
    And if it was some big deal that "The Rainmaker" came into power and immediately started closing loops (which they say twice in the film) then why did Joe get a full 30 years? Guess it was just the terminology that bugged me on that one :-P

Definitely glad I saw it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Excellent movie, my only complain was it felt like the scenes with beatrix character (her name I think, the hooker from the beginning of the movie) was just in it so they could slap an R rating on the movie. (I may have missed something but her whole plot line didn't help out the movie really in my opinion, seemed a little pointless), but anyways the movie was excellent and one of the best sci-fi movies I have seen for a good 10 years or so.
    Suzy the hooker/exotic dancer's purpose was that she showed Old Joe's determination - he kills her kid, despite his younger self wanting the best for the child and having a deep crush on Suzy herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sattori View Post
    OH!
    And if it was some big deal that "The Rainmaker" came into power and immediately started closing loops (which they say twice in the film) then why did Joe get a full 30 years? Guess it was just the terminology that bugged me on that one :-P

Definitely glad I saw it though.
    As far as I can tell (this is the problem with time-travel) Old Joe got the standard retirement because in his timeline, the Rainmaker occurred naturally as the kid got older. However, in young Joe's timeline, the Rainmaker is a result of Old Joe murdering the kid's mother, which accelerated the process. However, because young Joe kills himself, he's either;
    A: Returned the future to that where the kid will become the Rainmaker over time.
    B: Changed the future completely, so the kid never becomes the Rainmaker.

If I remember correctly (I should've seen it twice), there's a flurry of scenes when Old Joe is taken, showing two branching futures/presents and flashing back and forth between them. Basically, Old Joe, in the branch where he escapes creates a new future by changing everything in the past.

Basically, the whole movie is based on a Paradox in a reality that only occurred after Young Joe became Old Joe, without ever meeting Sara on the farm or Cid the psychic kid. Old Joe's there to fix problems that won't ever exist for this Young Joe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Suzy the hooker/exotic dancer's purpose was that she showed Old Joe's determination - he kills her kid, despite his younger self wanting the best for the child and having a deep crush on Suzy herself.
    You sure he killed Suzy's kid? I thought the Gatmen ambushed him when he entered her apartment to do the deed.

You sure he killed Suzy's kid? I thought the Gatmen ambushed him when he entered her apartment to do the deed.
    Ah, yes you're right. I really need to watch it again to clear up some parts, but it's no longer airing anywhere near me, so waiting for Blu-Ray.

Pretty mind-blowing movie I must admit, I love how they do the inception-style mindfuck and how there are all these little details that most of us miss on the first watch through, that said some of you got some pretty interesting theories.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    ^^ yeah, just saw it yesterday after needing a movie to watch and hearing the great reviews, settled on this one. i must admit, there were a couple plot holes or questions i had that have already been referrenced, and while disappointed young Joe totally changed the future for his future self (i.e., not having one), i enjoyed the movie completely and can't wait to watch it again.

btw, anyone else think of Akira when Cid goes apeshit and destroys the house? totally didnt see that coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonfiend76 View Post
    ^^ yeah, just saw it yesterday after needing a movie to watch and hearing the great reviews, settled on this one. i must admit, there were a couple plot holes or questions i had that have already been referrenced, and while disappointed young Joe totally changed the future for his future self (i.e., not having one), i enjoyed the movie completely and can't wait to watch it again.

btw, anyone else think of Akira when Cid goes apeshit and destroys the house? totally didnt see that coming.
    It made me think - "Yeah, Rian Johnson could probably direct the American version of Akira."
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2012-10-16 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Loopception