Portable Desktop? Odd question

Alright. So my work requires us to spend 2 nights a month overnight at work. Spilt between all the workers.

We just got cable installed in the room we stay in.

My question is this. Is there a cheap, portable, desktop. I would just need a very small unit powerful enough to play games like diablo 3 and wow. The room I stay in has a monitor already with a mouse and keyboard.

I would like to bring it in on the days I have to stay there. Any suggestions?

Do me a favor and don't correct my spelling/grammar. I browse this site with a cell phone. Try harder next time to be an ass.

Deleted
    I can't tell you exactly what to buy, but they do exist.

You're looking at a small case (not sure of measurements) with a wee micro ATX mobo or something. You should be able to fit all you components in the thing but everything would have to be watercooled since there won't be any decent airflow .

Again, apologies that I can't give you any more info, but they do exist and are very, very good and would suit your situation perfectly!

10+ Year Old Account
    Since you don't want a laptop, I'd suggest taking a look at building a micro atx based pc to carry around. Check these out and you can coordinate motherboard/cpu accordingly.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

Silverstone Sugo SG08, mini ITX case. It comes with a 600W PSU and supports full length GPU's so in reality you can build a gaming monster as big as a BoxEE. Zotac has a very good z77 card, a card that benchmarks very good compared to the Maximus V Formula.

That means, you can have a setup like this:

Sugo SG08
    Zotac z77 mini-ITX
    Core i5 3450
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD
    1TB green disk
    Radeon HD7850

That baby will run all modern games on maximum settings while still being petite and sexy and will not shame your living room if you want to use it as a media center. Only backdraw is you have to install a slim-line BlueRay/DvD which tends to cost a little more than your average OEM DVD writer

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Silverstone Sugo SG08, mini ITX case.

That baby will run all modern games on maximum settings while still being petite and sexy and will not shame your living room if you want to use it as a media center. Only backdraw is you have to install a slim-line BlueRay/DvD which tends to cost a little more than your average OEM DVD writer
    Bitfenix Prodigy looks better, costs less, can use any PSU you like and supports standard DVD drive (if anybody even uses those anymore). Will probably build my next computer into one of these.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Bitfenix Prodigy looks better, costs less, can use any PSU you like and supports standard DVD drive (if anybody even uses those anymore). Will probably build my next computer into one of these.
    The look is subjective, the Sugo is smaller.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want something portable and weird looking.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200..._isotope_sli/2
    (Ignore the price, I was just suggesting the case)

You can get carry bags to go with it.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2012-10-12 at 12:15 AM.

Lemmiwink has the right idea. The Sugo cases can be found at a good number of retailers, will fit a full sized video card
    and all the components he mentions should make a nice affordable gaming rig.

I just built a non-gaming machine with that case. Keep in mind the PSU is located above and close to the CPU so airflow could be a bit of an issue.
    It's not ideal for a for a heavy duty overclocked gaming rig.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Like Inux said, looks can be subjective, but still, I agree, if you're looking for an ITX case I'd probably recommend the BitFenix Prodigy or the new Fractal Design Node 304.

Forgot one more thing from the list yesterday which was the most important one. Bitfenix Prodigy comes with built-in carry handles, and portability is what the OP asked for.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Psh, you could just add one of these on the Node 304! http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g31/...ess-Page1.html

15+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, the Mini ITX way is probably the best solution. There are a lot of cases out there, and some of them support full length video cards if you desire to use them.

Bitfenix Prodigy http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/pr...assis/prodigy/
    This is probably the best case if you want to build a powerful mini itx system. It has the best cooling / air flow that i know of and supports big tower heatsinks.
    The disadvantage is, that this case isn't really small anymore... it is bigger than some µATX cases. And the feet / handlebars are a bit wobbly and have sharp edges (painful if you want to carry it around with bare hands)

Fractal Design Node 304 http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=94
    Great case for a home server (can house 6x 3.5" hdds) but you can also put powerful gpus in it. Lacks an 5.25" bay, so no dvd drive possible.

Cooler Master Elite 120 http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6852
    Good budget case with enough airflow for mid-range systems. It's also small enough to carry easily around. If you compare it to the Prodigy (with the feet / handlebars), its about half the size. The only thing you might want/need is a low profile cpu heatsink that can invert airflow (bottom -> top), e.g. Scythe Shuriken / Big Shuriken, because the psu intake is directly above the cpu.

Lian Li PC-Q18 http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product...25&ss_index=64
    I don't know this exact case, but i have worked with the predecessor (PC-Q08). It was a bit cramped, but ok to work with. I expect this case to be a little bit better than the PC-Q08.

If you want a small low-mid gaming system, i think i would chose the Cooler Master Elite 120 with something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock B75M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.88 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($47.96 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($40.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $544.78

If you want a bit more power, change the gpu to a Radeon 7850. (no change in psu required)

P.S.
    On a not so serious note, get this case:
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

If I had known about that case, it would be on my desk. That is amazing (although I'd ask if they can make a Mallard or Flying Scotsman model (prettiest train engines ever built IMO).

Edit: the "premium" version of that case includes a motor so you can drive the case around *squeee*
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-10-12 at 03:54 PM.