Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarintha View Post
    Well that was just mean...
    I think i remember hearing something about Wales wanting the dragon on the driver's license because Scotland, N. Ireland and England had some equivalent thing on the license and you ended up having a rose instead?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I think i remember hearing something about Wales wanting the dragon on the driver's license because Scotland, N. Ireland and England had some equivalent thing on the license and you ended up having a rose instead?
    Never heard of that :P Just had to check my license and there's no rose on it, just got the Eu flag with UK written in the middle of the stars. Not sure if you meant the cars license plates though? I'm pretty sure there was a time where we weren't supposed to have the Welsh dragon and Cymru written on it (not 100% on this), but we can now, had it done when I got a personal plate ... £250 down the shitter.

Interesting. While I can't really see this getting off the ground to begin with, it's an interesting idea.

In response to the flag on the front, I do sometimes wonder why The UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States aren't part of some political union.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Interesting. While I can't really see this getting off the ground to begin with, it's an interesting idea.

In response to the flag on the front, I do sometimes wonder why The UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States aren't part of some political union.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations
    the US isn't part of it because we like doing our own thing, not to mention we fought back in the 1700s to remove ourselves from that union.
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

Quote Originally Posted by Narveid View Post
    Sure thing. You can sponge off us for the next 50 years ... Then we'll sponge off you for some hundreds of years afterwards.
    Is THAT Norway's plan?

---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by goobernoob View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations
    the US isn't part of it because we like doing our own thing, not to mention we fought back in the 1700s to remove ourselves from that union.
    I'm aware of the Commonwealth of Nations.

There's just something icky about having the Queen on your money.

Plus I'd really like a free trade agreement with more countries.

Deleted
    Fuck no. If this ever happens ill be moving out from Finland. I understand if scandinavian countries unite to one big country but not Finland. We have nothing in common with scandinavians. This "nordic union" would also mean the death of finnish culture and our awesome language, which I dont like at all. Even thinking about this offends me as a finn. Leave us alone.
    Last edited by mmoc614b31b9c1; 2012-10-13 at 05:38 PM.

Deleted
    Sounds like a cooperation almost as useless as the Benelux. (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg)

Quote Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
    Fuck no. If this ever happens ill be moving out from Finland. I understand if scandinavian countries unite to one big country but not Finland. We have nothing in common with scandinavians. This "nordic union" would also mean the death of finnish culture and our awesome language, which I dont like at all. Even thinking about this offends me as a finn. Leave us alone.
    I'm not gonna lie. I'd lose a lot of respect for Finland if you guys joined a union with 3 pacifist nations.

Last time I checked, they didn't help you when the Soviets came rolling in.

It was just Finland, some molotov cocktails and ths guy.

10+ Year Old Account

You know it's coming!

Anyway, a United Nordic States is an interesting idea. The country would immediately be one of the most powerful economies on the planet and would gain significant international advantage from that. I'm not terribly familiar with inter-Nordic relations, but I can't imagine there are many trade barriers between the Nordic countries, so I don't know that their would be a lot of growth from more unified economic rules. Seems like in the short to medium run, the big beneficiary would be Iceland. The Scandinavian countries and Finland probably wouldn't see much of a change economically.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

I'm not gonna lie. I'd lose a lot of respect for Finland if you guys joined a union with 3 pacifist nations.

We sent about 1/3 of all our military material to them as far as I know(granted that wasn't much because we barely had a military to speak of), and around 10.000 volunteers. Not much, but most Swedes at the time felt we should have helped them more.

Sweden and Finland got great relations in all things that matter, Hockey though that tends to get a bit heated. :P
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-10-13 at 06:36 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    We sent about 1/3 of all our military material to them as far as I know(granted that wasn't much because we barely had a military to speak of), and around 10.000 volunteers. Not much, but most Swedes at the time felt we should have helped them more.

Sweden and Finland got great relations in all things that matter, Hockey though that tends to get a bit heated. :P
    I don't doubt people wish they'd helped more both then and now.

I don't doubt you have great diplomatic relations either.

I'm just saying I'd lose respect for Finland if they chose to be politically combined with Sweden, Denmark and Norway.

I don't doubt people wish they'd helped more both then and now.

I don't doubt you have great diplomatic relations either.

I'm just saying I'd lose respect for Finland if they chose to be politically combined with Sweden, Denmark and Norway.
    Why? Both Norway and Denmark are founding nations of NATO, both nations contribute to NATO operations. So where you get pacifist countries from when it comes to those I don't know.

Sweden is really the only nation out of the lot that in modern history got a neutral, none-allegianed foreign policy. Finland and Sweden are not members of NATO. Both nations contribute to Afghanistan though for example. Sweden had 8 Gripen planes in Lybia just to take another example, pacifist? I'm not sure, I guess it depends on your definition of it.

There is decent documentary serie on youtube called War for Peace(was aired on SVT, public service) about the swedish forces and their job in Afghanistan, it got CC subs in english.

Norway had resistance movement during WW2, heck they hid on the Swedish side of the border at times as well.
    History isn't black and white.

What you could say is that none of the nations are particularly found of military adventures, and that goes for Finland as well.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Pacifist...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...olving_Denmark
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...volving_Sweden
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...volving_Norway

Also maybe we didnt help - but we didnt declare war on them either as SOME OTHERS did... :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Wouldn't be able to within the UK anyway. Who knows what would happen post-Independence either.

Asides from that, I can see a Nordic Union working much better than an EU one does, far more common policies and values.
    Ha, post-independence, like Scotland would ever break away from the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Why? Both Norway and Denmark are founding nations of NATO, both nations contribute to NATO operations. So where you get pacifist countries from when it comes to those I don't know.

Sweden is really the only nation out of the lot that in modern history got a neutral, none-allegianed foreign policy. Finland and Sweden are not members of NATO. Both nations contribute to Afghanistan though for example. Sweden had 8 Gripen planes in Lybia just to take another example, pacifist? I'm not sure, I guess it depends on your definition of it.

There is decent documentary serie on youtube called War for Peace(was aired on SVT, public service) about the swedish forces and their job in Afghanistan, it got CC subs in english.

Norway had resistance movement during WW2, heck they hid on the Swedish side of the border at times as well.
    History isn't black and white.

What you could say is that none of the nations are particularly found of military adventures, and that goes for Finland as well.
    Not to mention our role as peacekeepers during the Yugoslavian civil war n stuff. And thats how we won the European Football Cup.

---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post

You know it's coming!

Anyway, a United Nordic States is an interesting idea. The country would immediately be one of the most powerful economies on the planet and would gain significant international advantage from that. I'm not terribly familiar with inter-Nordic relations, but I can't imagine there are many trade barriers between the Nordic countries, so I don't know that their would be a lot of growth from more unified economic rules. Seems like in the short to medium run, the big beneficiary would be Iceland. The Scandinavian countries and Finland probably wouldn't see much of a change economically.
    I think the biggest boon would be a strong currency in the union. Right now the countries are small and therefore the currency is vulnerable - it's the reason the danish currency is tied to the Euro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Not to mention our role as peacekeepers during the Yugoslavian civil war n stuff. And thats how we won the European Football Cup.

---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 09:24 PM ----------

I think the biggest boon would be a strong currency in the union. Right now the countries are small and therefore the currency is vulnerable - it's the reason the danish currency is tied to the Euro.
    A common Nordic currency would still be tiny compared to the Dollar, the Euro, and, the Yen. It would offer a degree of security, but if that's really a concern, it's better to be in the Eurozone. I mean, look at the thrashing the Pound has been taking over the last 4 years.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it ever will happen. The general Norwegian consensus is against bonding with others to tighly, which is why we're not part of EU. Our politicans are, on the other hand, not following the general voice of the Norwegian people, and you never know what they might do.

Deleted

I would lose all my little respect I have for our government. If this would happen id move somewhere where the people actually care about their culture and homeland. This whole nordic union is pretty much a giant middle finger for finland.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    A common Nordic currency would still be tiny compared to the Dollar, the Euro, and, the Yen. It would offer a degree of security, but if that's really a concern, it's better to be in the Eurozone. I mean, look at the thrashing the Pound has been taking over the last 4 years.
    Most of the North is heavily opposed to the Euro. Norway is not even in the EU and Sweden keep voting No while Denmark doesnt have to get it and vote No regardless. Only country that has it is Finland. And no, it wouldn't compete with the Euro or Dollar or Yen seeing as those are such large economies but it would offer security of currency to financially stable nations.
    If the Euro is abolished i have no idea what would happen to the danish currency as it is linked to the Euro and before that was linked to the D.Mark

15+ Year Old Account
    Makes more sense than being in the eu. But no way would there be one common language and it certainly wouldn't be icelandic.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.