Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

What do you guys think of Hitler?

An intellectual discussion about Adolf Hitler, and his descent into madness. Similar to a Hiroshima thread I started a long time ago.

Personally, I find Hitler's interest into the occult very interesting. It's not something they bring up much during high school or even college history courses, which is a shame because I think his interest in that area is definately something that could be seen as a driving force behind alot of his actions.

Adolf Hitler, while vile in his beliefs, was actually a very intelligent, caring and charismatic man.

While the caring part there may cause a huge amount of anger, or even a few puzzled minds, know this. Hitler did in fact care a lot about Germany, he cared a lot about his people and he lead them to a greatness not seen for many decades, albeit for a short time. He is a very interesting man, and his ability to work a crowd was incredible.

I can't speak german, but of the many videos I've seen of Hitlers speeches, and the translations, you do feel very motivated by the man. His visions where vile and disgusting, but he did a very good job of making everyone feel special and ignore the horror of what they were doing.

I like people with enough willpower to actually make things done.

The guy chose those things poorly, though.

I can say he was a great speaker, if nothing else.

The man gets (although this is changing more and more these days) an undeserved reputation for being some tactical military genius or something, when in reality he was a very poor tactician and wasted a lot of German money on retarded shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Competent politician, horrible strategist. Terrible human being.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    He was smart but he thought he was the only one who is right about the future of Germany. This led to his downfall as he shunned the advice of many military leaders with more experience then him. As the tide went against him, he ended blaming both himself and said leaders and this led to him making worse and worse decisions based on the fact he didn't expect the tide to turn and had no real plan to stop it.

He also surrounded himself with idiots in the later phases of the war who told him false info and suggested impossible strategies only because it made him feel like the war wasn't a failure.

Deleted
    I made this account just for this:

=D

(But for those who seriously interested: Some german historians are preparing a version of "Mein Kampf" with lots of extra information. They want to kill the myth.)

It's a bit hazy on my mind, but didnt Hitler commission a genocide at some point? I believe that's why people hated him, but can't remember.

Deleted
    I am undecided if he was a mad man or a Devil's Apostle. He was a great speaker, and a terrible tactician.

He opened two fronts with great powers at the same time (england/USA + USSR) and made a pact with the Japanese, leading to a break up with China hence losing cheap materials and labour.

Deleted
    I don't know if this is what I'm supposed to post here.

But, I think what Hitler was trying to do wasn't bad, in his mind. I think that what he was doing, in his head, was a good thing and that it would help his country and other people. He started from bellow and thought he could help everyone but I guess, with the power, he just couldn't control it?

I don't know, that's what I understand from what I have studied in the past.

Just goes to show just how much more important charisma is when it comes to affecting people's political views.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

An egomaniacal demagogue with delusions of grandeur who probably lost the war for Germany. He is probably intelligent, but he is much less strategically gifted than he gave himself credit for, and his constant meddling on the Eastern Front as well as idiotic orders killed countless German soldiers. Not to mention his complete political blunder of actually starting the war with the western allies in the first place (even though the initial victories made him look like the genius he isn't).

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    It's a bit hazy on my mind, but didnt Hitler commission a genocide at some point? I believe that's why people hated him, but can't remember.
    You can't remember the holocaust?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    While the caring part there may cause a huge amount of anger, or even a few puzzled minds, know this. Hitler did in fact care a lot about Germany, he cared a lot about his people
    No, he didn't.

Once it became clear the war was lost, he continued to waste German lives.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Really? A bit hazy? Does the word "holocaust" ring a bell by any chance?

---------- Post added 2012-10-11 at 10:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosEater View Post
    Personally, I find Hitler's interest into the occult very interesting. It's not something they bring up much during high school or even college history courses, which is a shame because I think his interest in that area is definately something that could be seen as a driving force behind alot of his actions.
    Oh aye very, the whole mixture of the Knights Templar with some Hindu inspired blood magic and nasty rituals was very interesting.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    History channel would be empty .

Deleted
    Someone who was very delusional

He got the job done you cant argue with that

He got germany back on its feet after a devasting depression back in the 1930s that too you cant argue with

but because of his lust for war, insanity, not listening to his generals, his anti semitism, racism he drove germany off a cliff
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2012-10-11 at 10:51 AM.

Deleted
    You have some thoughts on that matter, Salandrin?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only, the fact that he dragged the whole world in a war conflict was quite significant too.