Thread: New phone

10+ Year Old Account

New phone

I know this isn't directly tied to computers, but I figured this was the best place.

I'm honestly tired of my Motorola Droid, I can't use the browser, google play, youtube or email since it keeps telling me I'm on a proxy while I'm not, and it takes a while to get anywhere when I'm browsing the menu. The screen keeps turning on even though there's nothing happening.

My Lumia 800 recently died where it would just refuse to turn on, although I really enjoyed the phone while I had it.

I'm selling my Droid Razr on my country version of Craigslist/ebay, hopefully getting 3500kr back from the 4200kr I paid, since it's less than a month old.

I've pretty much narrowed down my searches to the Galaxy SIII & Lumia 920, but I don't feel in the mood for another bad Android experience. Ofcourse any other phone suggested I will take into consideration, any input of any phone is appreciated. =)

(I've also been looking at the Lumia 610, while it's a cheap, weak phone I figured it might be the best economical decision considering I only use my phone for calling, texting & emails, but the uncustomizeable background on Windows phone is a minus)
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-10-20 at 05:52 AM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Did you try using a custom ROM on the Droid Razr? It might improve your experience, not sure how bad the stock ROM is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flashing a ROM completely voids my warranty, I'm not too eager to do that =/

Stock ROM is fine I guess, only irks about it is that I'm forced to crop all of my wallpapers to 4:3, the settings are kind of strict.

The browser, email, youtube and google play is some serious problems, it's pretty laggy while navigating.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    i just bought the s3. i havent found a thing i dont like about it. i dont know what version of android you had on your motorola droid but android 4.0 and up are so much better then the 2.3 etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had both 2.3 and 4.0 on my Droid, currently at 4.0.

Armory

Deleted
    strange that your getting those errors then. and indeed maybe buying a cheaper smartphone might not be a bad idea if its only used for the stuff you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried a factory reset on the droid? Sometimes Android can do funny things after a major firmware upgrade and you need to reset it to fix.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

The S3 is an awesome phone, will run anything and the screen is amazing.
    Playing since 2007.

If that's all you do, you should get a low-end windows phone. Windows phones run great on whatever hardware you throw at them, they just dont do much other than what microsoft wants you to be able to do. With android you can run any code you get your hands on, not so much with windows phone.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

I'd say go for the Lumia 920. Windows phone 8 should be AMAZING! And with the awesome hardware and the lightweight OS, it might be one of the best phone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrestler10307 View Post
    Have you tried a factory reset on the droid? Sometimes Android can do funny things after a major firmware upgrade and you need to reset it to fix.
    Yeah I tried factory resetting it serveral times, no help.

Armory

You should still have a warranty on your lumia 800 try that first or contact Nokia since it is a waist to buy a new phone when yours is probably a year old.

And otherwise it doesn't mater which phone you buy because every single phone has the same core functions. Just choice a phone based on the looks, price and screen size and you will be fine.

The only way phones truly differentiate is based on gimmicks which you won't be using anyway (samsung and apple both have ton of gimmicks).

And don't believe Android users who say that the newest version of Android fixes XXXX, every time their is a new version out Android fanboys keep on saying that Google fixed XXX.

And also you can install a custom rom and factory reset your phone afterwards to keep your warranty.

10+ Year Old Account
    By installing a custom ROM I need to unlock the bootloader, when I've unlocked it and factory reset it, it will say "relocked". My parents' HTC phone wasn't covered by warranty because it said relocked.

I've sent my Lumia 800 for repair, thanks for reminding me

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    iPhone 5

10+ Year Old Account
    Never touching Apple again after their recent actions, also due to the reason they lock up their devices tighter than an emo guy's pants.

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha true true, I was being a tad sarcastic. I have the iPhone 4S, currently on deployment so not much use for it besides being an alarm clock and playing games... When I return to the states I would like to go to ANDROID. I've had iPhone's since they came out and am really just sick of them... I don't hear alot of news out here so can you reiterate the recent actions statement; I'm a tad interested
    4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI Z87 G45 - Silverstone AR03 - Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 OC - Antec 620W High Current Gamer

16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz - Samsung 840 250GB - 1TB WD Blue - ASUS VG248QE @ 144Hz - Fractal Design Define R4 - Windows 10 64-Bit - Logitech G-Pro
    Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Steelseries QCK Heavy - Hyper X Cloud II

If you don't like android, I'd definitely suggest the Nokia 920 or maybe wait for Samsung's Window's 8 Phone offering.

I've always stuck to the Nexus brand of Android phones, mainly because I'm a developer and I never have my phone stock for very long.
    Desktop - AMD FX-8120 @ 3.8ghz - 8GB DDR3 OCZ - Sapphire 7870
    Laptop - M11X. Revision1 - 1.7ghz ULV Dual Core - 4GB DDR2 - GT335M

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Android depends greatly on the manufacturer, google provides the main OS, but companies like LG, samsung and HTC change lots of things in the OS itself. For example: me myself have a sony xperia arc s on wich i really don't like the OS. But when i try my friends one X it feels way better. Or when i tried the LG optimus G the OS looks so much better than the android on my phone. So i'd say try the other phones, the operating systems look quite different. But, if you still don't like it, i'd suggest the lumia 920. From what i've seen of it and read about it , it looks great.