Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Quick Question :)

Am I allowed to post my Game Project somewhere?

Its a 2D Diablo - (Movement) style rpg, where you Play a member of the Defias Brotherhood and help Edwin van Cleef to reach his goal of revenge!

The story line is taken from classic World of Warcraft.

Since it is WoW related I would like to open a Progress Topic. It will get me some Feedback, and Hopefully help when I am not sure about the Defias Storyline or if I missed anything

I am moddeling in Blender.
    I am using World of Warcraft models as a reference. Sometimes I take models apart in Blender and add new things or Increase their Polygon Count.

The Emberstone Staff:
    img100.imageshack.us/img100/7420/theemberstonestaff.png

(WIP) Male Human Model:
    imageshack.us/a/img33/8962/humansubdivide.png

(Imageshack is having some issues right now)
    Last edited by mmoc3747998f6b; 2012-11-03 at 12:42 PM.

Incoming lawsuit if you actually do make it.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Are you even allowed to use derivative works of Blizzard IP for that purpose?

Deleted
    They can't sue me for creating similar games.

Ideas are not copyrighted

Deleted
    I think he means that the game resembles Diablo.

Deleted
    Yes, Similar, Same Camera Angle etc.

Names are not copyrighted either.

There is no trademark on Defias as far as I know.

Else I have to change the name a bit. Big Deal Please Tell Me If WIP can be posted

Deleted
    Perhaps you can create a torrent, and upload a promotional video on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Schoening View Post
    They can't sue me for creating similar games.

The story line is taken from classic World of Warcraft.
    I am using World of Warcraft models as a reference. Sometimes I take models apart in Blender and add new things or Increase their Polygon Count.
    Your Emberstone Staff:
    http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7...stonestaff.png

Blizzard's Emberstone Staff:
    http://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screen...mal/115626.jpg

You can't say that you are just copying an idea there. I'm sorry, it just doesn't work like that. Here is the appropriate part of the ToU:

XIII. Ownership.
    All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to World of Warcraft (including without limitation any user accounts, titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialogue, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral rights, any related documentation, "applets" incorporated into World of Warcraft, transcripts of the chat rooms, character profile information, recordings of games played on World of Warcraft, and the World of Warcraft client and server software) are owned by Blizzard Entertainment or its licensors. World of Warcraft is protected by the copyright laws of the United States, international copyright treaties and conventions, and other laws. All rights are reserved. World of Warcraft may contain certain licensed materials, and Blizzard Entertainment's licensors may protect their rights in the event of any violation of this Agreement.

Storylines and plots are intellectual property. They can sue you for using the Defias Brotherhood and van Cleef questlines even if you change the names.

Yes, Similar, Same Camera Angle etc.

Names are not copyrighted either.

There is no trademark on Defias as far as I know.

Else I have to change the name a bit. Big Deal Please Tell Me If WIP can be posted
    No no you're right. I'm pretty sure a massive powerhouse company wouldn't have lawyers just for this exact scenario and wouldn't make you weep in a corner 2 minutes into the first letter.

Carry on my wayward son.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Deleted
    Let me worry about that

And thank you for thinking it looks Accurate

So where is the best place to post? This Forum Part?

---------- Post added 2012-11-03 at 02:00 PM ----------

Could I please get an answer instead of 3 Wannabe Lawyers ?

If I get sued, you can all say "We told you so asshole!" Deal

So where is the best place to post? This Forum Part?
    This is technically against forum rules:

WHEN POSTING...
    ...keep in mind the post contents/subjects that are not allowed:
    <...>
    • Content that is considered illegal by law

Just change the names so it's Defias Van Cleef of the Edwin Brotherhood or something like that, blizzard seem to get away with it with Harrison Jones and all the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    Just change the names so it's Defias Van Cleef of the Edwin Brotherhood or something like that, blizzard seem to get away with it with Harrison Jones and all the rest!
    Because Blizzard didn't directly steal the plot of Indiana Jones to use in the exact same medium in a visibly identical way.

Deleted
    Cough:

"Copyright does not protect the idea for a game, its name or title, or the method or methods for playing it. Nor does copyright protect any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in developing, merchandising, or playing a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles."

Can We get on topic? I didn't think there where would be so much opposition against a game

"Copyright does not protect the idea for a game, its name or title, or the method or methods for playing it. Nor does copyright protect any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in developing, merchandising, or playing a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles."
    You'll notice it did not say "based on the exact same world setting, storyline and characters". It says "similar principles". The creative contents of the game is indeed protected under law.

Cough:

Can We get on topic? I didn't think there where would be so much opposition against a game
    You can try and interpret it however you want.

It's not going to matter for a shit if Blizzard decides they don't like it.

This would probably fall under advertisement clause of this website, which is that advertisements are not allowed.

On a personal note, good luck with your game.
    You can do everything you wanted to do at gamedev.net (I am not affiliated with them, and not trying to promote them. that website is not a competitor to mmo-champions.com in any way, it is a game-development website, not game playing and not a wow site)

Deleted
    Okay So what?

Are you really saying I gotta contact the administrators and ask them about something this trivial because you two love playing pseudo lawyers

Okay So what?

Are you really saying I gotta contact the administrators and ask them about something this trivial because you two love playing pseudo lawyers
    No. He's saying you should contact them because it's their site and they'll allow whatever the fuck they want on it.

I don't think this will be one of those things, especially with the blatant copyright infringement.