Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Because changing an aspect of your body that you like is a fair trade for some money. The shitty feeling that you get afterwards of cutting your hair is totally worth it.

---------- Post added 2012-11-03 at 02:45 PM ----------

I do not pay for those, but I do occasionally give them money when they need some.

And yes, I do. Because my parents do not bill me for food and other basic needs, and I love them dearly for that.
    You are still heavily reliant on your parents and should abide by their wishes. If your parents decided you were being non-compliant and kicked you out what would you do then? Wouldn't it be easier to just cut your hair and grow it out when you are actually on your own?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Because changing an aspect of your body that you like is a fair trade for some money. The shitty feeling that you get afterwards of cutting your hair is totally worth it.
    They aren't by any means required to give you money. He's willing to give you money in return for a favor. Nothing is forcing you to agree, nor is he forcing you to cut your hair. The way I see it is you want everything your way, hence my comment as you having a childish attitude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't listen to them? You're 18, and thus considered an adult.
    You don't have to cut your hair if you don't want to.

On the other hand, your parents don't have to keep you around in the house and provide for you if they don't want, lol.
    The argument that a student can't make enough money is bullcrap honestly. I'm a student and I manage just fine.
    What is worth fighting for?

Deleted
    Just wait till the army gets you. When the army gets you, they gonna make a man out of you. They'll cut all the hair off and they'll make a man out of you.

are you a boy with long hair?
    I'd be angry too if you were my kid ...
    are you a girl with hair that goes beyond your hips?

other than that I dunno ... unless you fall into abovementioned categories it confuses me why your parents care so much about your hair ><

Deleted
    if you are in your parents house, then you abide by their wish's. If that means cutting your hair so it looks acceptably tidy to them then you have to put up with it.
    How about a Photo to see what your hair is like at the moment ? Even the longest of hair needs to be trimmed from time to time to keep it neat looking

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xindralol View Post
    are you a boy with long hair?
    are you a girl with hair that goes beyond your hips?

other than that I dunno ... unless you fall into abovementioned categories it confuses me why your parents care so much about your hair ><
    I am sorry to inform you of this but this is 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    Logical fallacy. Sorry, but you have the option to move out. This isn't abusive (now if he was beating him for not cutting his hair, then yes), so like I said, their house, their rules.

Don't like it, leave, it's that simple.
    That's about as stupid and nonsensical as things can get, and you know it.

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-11-03 at 04:53 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    if you are in your parents house, then you abide by their wish's. If that means cutting your hair so it looks acceptably tidy to them then you have to put up with it.
    How about a Photo to see what your hair is like at the moment ? Even the longest of hair needs to be trimmed from time to time to keep it neat looking
    I would like to, but with the amount of people here I could never do that. :/ Placing a photo I mean.

Apparently to some people living with the parents means you have to be some kind of slave unless you move out. What bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidbozz View Post
    So if he decides he doesn't want to shower anymore it's not ok for his parents to tell him to shower when he begins to stink up their house? Grooming standards are something that should be enforcable under their roof. Would you agree if he was female and her parents wouldn't let her wear daisy dukes and tube tops?
    Lol, how exactly is long hair synonymous to not showering?

@OP: Tell them it's your decision, if they don't like it they have every right to complain but you have no obligation to listen to them.
    "Their house, their rules" is an idiotic point of view. It may apply in cases such as household chores etc but it has no impact on matters of personal integrity/freedom.
    If you want long hair then that is your choice, no one else has any say in it.
    Also, if your parents are gonna make a big deal out of it and basically kick you out of the house just becouse you choose to have long hair, I say let them. Personally I wouldn't want to be around such "parents" any longer if they'd do that.

I see two options for you here:

A) You cut your hair and wait until you're able to support yourself financially to grow it out

or

B) You find a way to support yourself financially now so you don't have to cut your hair

Both sides of this argument (i.e. you and your parents) don't seem to want to back down, so those are really your only two options. If it were me, I would take option A. Hair grows back. If you really want it long you can wait a few years. Burning bridges over a haircut seems like a really stupid choice to me.

Long hair is a beautiful thing, my friend. Grow it out to your heart's desire because someday, you may go bald and you'll be glad you did.

I don't know what it's like to have parents with such a worldly, narrow mindset, but I imagine it's quite tiresome. I don't have any advice other than to just stick to your guns. As long as they are still feeding you and providing a place for you to live, than you should be good to go. But, if they start threatening to kick you out because of your hair, well then that's not the kind of roof I would want to live under.

Stay strong and wear your locks proud! Don't let them talk you in to cutting them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post

@OP: Tell them it's your decision, if they don't like it they have every right to complain but you have no obligation to listen to them.
    "Their house, their rules" is an idiotic point of view. It may apply in cases such as household chores etc but it has no impact on matters of personal integrity/freedom.
    Also, if your parents are gonna make a big deal out of it and basically kick you out of the house just becouse you choose to have long hair, I say let them. Personally I wouldn't want to be around such "parents" any longer if they'd do that.
    Totally nailed it.

just grow it

I had similar objections to my long hair from my parents.

eventually they stop bothering you.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP you live in your parents house, ask for their money, and live off of them. Then you say you are an adult. Get a haircut so they just shut up... or move out and they cant tell you what to do

<hardmode> You get a haircut out of freewill and look like an upstanding citizen

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    That's about as stupid and nonsensical as things can get, and you know it.
    No, apparently I don't know it, so do please inform me instead of making pointless posts.

People seem to be missing the point that he's asking for money and they're asking for him to cut his hair. They're not required to give him money, so as i said, their house, their rules, you want money, you do what they want.

Beggars can't be choosers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post

They are looking out for his appearance in society. If they didn't care then they wouldn't ask him to cut his hair - they aren't TELLING him to cut it. As for personal hygiene, I think you will find that crazy, unkempt hair is definetly a sign of bad hygiene and -since the OP isn't willing to post the pic - we can only assume he is a mess.

Sorry OP, don't mean to say your a mess but if you had lovely flowing locks then I doubt your parents would be getting on you!
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    Logical fallacy. Sorry, but you have the option to move out. This isn't abusive (now if he was beating him for not cutting his hair, then yes), so like I said, their house, their rules.

Don't like it, leave, it's that simple.
    Nope, just nope.
    Yes, my point was an excageration. But,....

Does he actually have the option to move out? Does he have the material needs, is he emotionally / psychologically ready to move out? Or shouldnt parents care for that? Would they rather have their kid leave the house over having a certain decision made by the kid himself? Shouldnt there be a balance between dicisions made by the kid and the parent for optimal harmony?

How far should these rules go (even without abuse)?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    I am laying here in the hospital bed, on the laptop, I have a spigot in my head, so they can pump the shit right into me, my hair is falling out, my skin is cracked and bleeding, it hurts all the time.
    When friends and family visit, they often randomly burst into tears, some just stopped coming.
    Not a day goes by that I don't wish at some point that it would just be done and over.
    I laughed and laughed when i read your OP, I did. So much the nurse came in to see wtf was up.

So let me break it down like a fraction for you.

Parental pressure to cut your hair short. That's your hardship for the day?
    This is what worries you? This keeps you up at night?
    THIS IS YOUR BIGGEST ISSUE TODAY?!?!?!
    Man...you have it MADE!
    Yesterday I told my Mom 'this is how it is, and I don't feel a need to hide shit under a wig.'

I mean, it's all relative OP, is it fun to be told to cut your hair? Nope, but it sure kicks the shit out of cancer.
    Now, go have some fun while you're young
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.