Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Garalon and his enrage

Hey there,
    Yesterday we killed the blade lord and had our first garalon trys.. The raid understood the tactic of this boss realy quick. Our only Problem seems to be the enrage. Melees mainly breaking his legs because of the dmg increase, ranges mainly nuking Garalon (if they can get in a "leg zone" they do dmg on the leg too). But it doesn't help at all.. Kiting is a Fire mage, a Hunter and the 2 Tanks. If the ranges are too far away they can't make dmg on the boss, what is a little bit of a problem because we have 25% left @ the enrage. It looks that the legs, after breaking all 4 of them, are respawning in slow motion.. like sometimes over a minute where 1 or 2 legs aren't respawning. And we have a problem that his left legs are not "in range" for the melees because of the voidzone, or because they are not in los sometimes.
    3 healing the encounter, but i don't think we can go 2 heal.
    We had a problem with the Blade Lord too, our melees did 70k dps+ but our ranges not reaching 60k..
    Need some help, we are raiding sunday again, and i don't think that we are magically going to have so much more dmg.

hope my english isn't that bad, and such a big problem to read :X

edit: i don'T have any logs of the trys, going to ask if they can be uploadet.
    Last edited by mmoc5e8562902b; 2012-11-02 at 11:04 AM.

If Garalon's enrage is giving you trouble now, be glad you weren't attempting him before. It was just increased by 1 minute.

Honestly, this seems like an issue with your raids DPS, and nothing you can really work out by changing your strategy. The only thing I would recommend is 2 healing, which you said you didn't believe you could do. If your raid is extremely undergeared, or just not min/maxing correctly, then this boss will probably be a DPS wall for quite a while for you.

For our kill, we had me (DK tank), our Monk tank, and our Shadow Priest kiting pheremones. We would take it to 30 stacks, thus only needing 3 players to do it. This made DPS more manageable since they were basically able to stand still and burn the boss, with the exception of the Priest taking it from time to time. This also helped eliminate a lot of potential unnecessary healing since the tanks are generally the main healing targets anyways and this seemed to make passing the pheremones a lot easier. We had everyone on the legs for the pull, then after they died we had all ranged DPS sit on the boss for the rest of the fight, while our 2 melee killed two legs every time they were up. We left the 2 legs of the opposite side of where the raid was positioned up for the entire fight in order to force the other 2 legs to mend every time. This allowed our melee to stay on one side, kill the legs, and maximize their damage on the boss. Mend is on a 45 second timer so the melee, being a Ret Paladin and Combat Rogue, would burst them down quickly and have roughly 25-30 seconds of uptime on the boss in between Mend.

Make sure your DPS know how to min/max correctly, and go over your raids gear. If their is a large gap in gear, then you may need to farm MSV/LFR a bit more.
    Last edited by Bellum; 2012-11-02 at 11:30 AM.

Deleted
    What we did was to put two arms warriors on the legs and just had them keep sweeping strikes up, our druid tank would help out on the front legs when they were badly positioned and our frost dk would help out on the legs if it were ever needed (it wasn't). Anything that can cleave is great for the legs. You don't want any ranged to ever switch to legs except at the beggining when you're focusing all the legs down, after that maybe a dot class that just switches to legs to put up dots if he's in the ''zone''.
    I'm sorry this post is all over the place and probably not of much help but that's what i got..

We killed it yesterday at 6m 7sec which would've been a kill even before the enrage change (pally bubble ftw) : p

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess our guilds aproach wasn't great then. We were doing tank pulls, brings boss and the debuff to the steps, then i pick it up (hunter), get to around 17 stacks, swap to priest dps, then lock, then mage, then druid then me again. Are we using too many people for the debuff?

Also we keep enraging around 17% (2 healers too), could this be to lack of gear or most likely due to the amount of people managing the debuff?

Druid tank, Warrior tank, Hunter, Shadow Priest, Lock, Mage, Balance Druid, Combat Rogue, Holy Pala, Resto Shaman.

We usually have all dps go for the legs too that are available to do so.
    Last edited by Solidito; 2012-11-02 at 11:37 AM.

Our Setup:

2 Tanks - Druid Warrior
    3 Melee - Shaman Monk Paladin
    2 Ranged - Mage Druid
    3 Heals - Paladin Priest Shaman

2 Tanks, Holy Pala and Mage Kited Pheromones. Lust on Pull kill 4 legs asap. Kite boss around edge of room. All DPS killed the 2 legs on the side we were stacked and only the back one on the opposite side. Tanks cleaved down the front one and ranged dotted it to kill it slowly. Use healing CD on crushes, don't take any crush you don''t have too. Use DPS cooldowns on legs as they take double damage and when they die the boss loses 3%.

Since nerf should be easier, just make sure the legs die asap.

then i pick it up (hunter), get to around 17 stacks, swap to priest dps, then lock, then mage, then druid then me again. Are we using too many people for the debuff?
    In my opinion, yes. This could be the reason why you are wiping to the enrage. Having so many DPS kiting the pheremone drastically lowers their damage on the boss. I would say switch to 3, or at max 4 people handling pheremones. Also, having all DPS switch to the legs could be an issue too. Unless they are in the "zone" the legs don't take the 200% increased damage. And since you seem to have a pretty ranged heavy group, they aren't really able to maximize if having to follow the legs around and DPS them. Have your melee handle legs if at all possible. And if that isn't an option, have a couple ranged assigned to it while leaving the rest on the boss.
    Last edited by Bellum; 2012-11-02 at 11:51 AM.

Deleted
    i think we will just try what bellum said, stacking the ranged dps in the middle, ake more stacks to let only 3 persons kite the boss and let the melees only kill the legs that are "in the middle" our dps have mostly an itemlevel of 381+ only 2 people having 378

Deleted
    My group got the boss to 3% at our best try, and what we did is that we let healers+hunter run with pheromones while everyone else was on legs/cleaving the boss.
    Our hunter that ran did 55-60k DPS, I was doing 100k and the rest were about 85-90k.
    We popped BL in the start just to get the 4 legs down asap. Should be a lot easier now the legs respawn faster.

Deleted
    We didn't do it (killed it with the 2 tanks/3 healers, tanks and one dps running with pheromones, switch at 30 stacks each), but I have seen some people kill it with 2 melees eating the sweeping, and only ranged/healers doing the pheromone kite. If you have trouble with the raid dps you could give it a shot.

We used the following tactics:

- 2 tanks for sweep soaking
    - 3 healers
    - 5 dps

Tanks and healers did the kiting (changed at about 15 stacks) so the dps could stay all the fight on the boss. Had to deal with some faults from our dps (rogues getting under the boss or wrong person getting the debuff first) but in the end, we could kill the boss with a good time before enrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu View Post
    Hey there,
    Yesterday we killed the blade lord and had our first garalon trys.. The raid understood the tactic of this boss realy quick. Our only Problem seems to be the enrage. Melees mainly breaking his legs because of the dmg increase, ranges mainly nuking Garalon (if they can get in a "leg zone" they do dmg on the leg too). But it doesn't help at all.. Kiting is a Fire mage, a Hunter and the 2 Tanks. If the ranges are too far away they can't make dmg on the boss, what is a little bit of a problem because we have 25% left @ the enrage. It looks that the legs, after breaking all 4 of them, are respawning in slow motion.. like sometimes over a minute where 1 or 2 legs aren't respawning. And we have a problem that his left legs are not "in range" for the melees because of the voidzone, or because they are not in los sometimes.
    3 healing the encounter, but i don't think we can go 2 heal.
    We had a problem with the Blade Lord too, our melees did 70k dps+ but our ranges not reaching 60k..
    Need some help, we are raiding sunday again, and i don't think that we are magically going to have so much more dmg.

hope my english isn't that bad, and such a big problem to read :X

edit: i don'T have any logs of the trys, going to ask if they can be uploadet.

Hi, a couple of things you could do that would really help you;

- If you have a rogue, make sure that he goes combat and you let him always attack a leg (other dps only assist him on legs when he falls behind their spawning). Rogues are parsing 175k+ dps on this fight when they do it properly.
    - At the very start of the fight: get one of your healers to kite the pheremones and use heroism/bloodlust (that way every single dps is attacking the boss during bloodlust). Healing is not intense at the start.
    - Instead of using tanks in tank spec you can use plate dps to soak the swipes (your tanks can go DPS spec). They can still survive the swipe and you are 3 healing so you have the additional healing available to heal through it.

You just need to optimise your strategy for your raid composition. Good luck.

If you're having enrage issues, I assume you are using 3 healers. Use them to kite. Assign whoever is currently kiting to heal himself and the tanks while the other two take care of the raid. The tanks won't need much and with the raid grouped on the opposite side of the boss (his inside) the other two will always have range for everyone.

We used 2 healers and 2 ranged dps, monk/warlock/paladin/spriest taking 20 stacks each. Leaving the two tanks on the boss/front legs. 2 melee were on the legs full time and the ranged were told not to touch them and just to focus the boss. We felt it wasn't worth them moving to get in range of the legs' dps boost so we left that to the melee/tanks.

This worked for us but a lot depends on how much damage your tanks can do to see if its worth having them kite. Ours actually ranked 1st and 6th for their respective specs on WoL so for us at least it's worth having them in there. They were also wearing a lot of dps gear (full in the dk's case) and using strength flasks and potions etc. The smashes really don't hurt that much, so there's really no reason not to, especially with 3 healers.

Deleted
    Go with no tanks, just two plate wearers soaking. Ideally you would have a holy pally soaking & healing himself, plus the other soaker & pheramone kiter. Other two healers just raid heal the group stacked up.

same as above we used 2 healers and 2 range taking 20 stacks each. melee on legs full time while everyone else stood there dpsing the body/dotting legs only moving with the other healer since he needs to be in range of the melee to heal them. whoever is going to get the pheromones first, have them pull it instead of having the unnecessary trade off(taking dmg and a stun). we 1 tanked 3 heal and beat it well before the old enrage.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

We used

3 healers
    7 dps

Holy paladin and DK soaked

4 ranged DPS kited and swapped at 20 stacks

Melee prioritized the legs while ranged stayed on the boss or leg if they could get to it easily

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanath View Post
    We used

3 healers
    7 dps

Holy paladin and DK soaked

4 ranged DPS kited and swapped at 20 stacks

Melee prioritized the legs while ranged stayed on the boss or leg if they could get to it easily
    We kill Garalon in 5.45 min use 3 healers (Resto Druid, Holy Priest and Holy Paladin) and 7 DPS (Warrior, Monk, Hunter, Warlock, Ele Shaman, Rogue and Retry Paladin)... Monk and Warrior soaked... and Me (resto druid), Hunter, Shaman and Lock kited and swapped at 20 stack... Just melee kill the legs and ranges nuked boss
    Aliwen - Resto Druid@US-Ragnaros

Deleted
    Check out WoL, the top 80 are rogues followed by Warriors and more rogues.. If you have more than 2 rogues in your guild you could probably 5 heal it and faceroll the boss with Blade Flurry. The boss should make up for all the melees crying that MV favoured ranged so much.

Deleted
    Here's something I put together for our guild, that JUST WOULD NOT understand that focusing legs as soon as they respawn IS BAD!

Ok this is really hard to explain but I'll try.

First of all: Hypothetical DPS, you do 200k DPS on boss and 400k DPS on leg.

Basically, the faster we kill the legs single target the more POTENTIAL DPS loss we have.

Lets say he regens his leg every 60 seconds, over a 7 minute fight thats 7 legs. 1 leg has 6mio HP, 7x6= 42mio DMG. It doesn't matter how much DPS you have on the legs, in the end of the day you'r maximum damage on legs will ALWAYS be 42mio.

Ok so he spawns it every 60 seconds, you stand in the circle and do 200% normal dmg. You do 400k DPS and kill it in 15 seconds, you then go on the boss and DPS him for 45seconds with 200k DPS which is 9mio DMG. All together you did 15mio DMG to boss in these 60 seconds. Now you do that 6 more times. 6x15mio=90mio DMG

Now instead of killing the leg in the circle you kill it outside the circle. It takes you 30 seconds instead of 15 seconds, but you still do 6mio DMG. And DPS the boss for 30 seconds which is 60mio DMG. Alltogether 12mio and 6 times more 12x6=72mio DMG This isn't really that important it's just more important that you understand this.

But now take into consideration a cleaver. Lets say rogue with blade flurry. He does a little less DPS on single target with that enabled. Let's say 50% less DPS (actually exacetly 50% since his energy regens 50% slower). Instead of 200k he only does 100k if he would single target with flurry. But now there's also a leg there that takes 200% dmg more. He is DPSing boss for 100k and leg for 200k, together 300k. Now instead of taking 15 seconds to kill the leg it takes him exacetly 30 seconds. But WAIT! He did 6mio DMG to the leg and a nother 100k DPS to the body. That is 100x60=6mio DMG. 6+6=12mio. And he still has 30 seconds SPARE before the next leg spawns! So he turns off flurry and has 200k DPS on boss again 30x200k=6mio DPS so 6+6+6=16mio do this 6 more times = 96 MIO DMG!!! That's 6mio DMG MORE! If you were only to DPS legs and then body!

Ofc the numbers aren't 100% correct but the math is here just to show you that a cleaver would do much more DPS if he wouldn't focus the leg directly.

It doesn't matter if we're behind on the leg a little we can always swap some single target DPS to it and we won't loose any DPS through the whole raid BUT WE WILL GAIN DPS IF HE GET'S TO CLEAVE AS LONG AS POSSIBLE BEFORE HE REGENS THE LEG FROM BEFORE AND WE ACTUALLY HAVE TO KILL IT!

More dumbed down:

5 people DPS the leg, we do exacetly 100k DPS on leg. Which means we kill it in 1 minute flat. 100k / 5 = 20k per person. Now 1 rogue in there is cleaving instead of single target. He does half (10k) the damage on single target or 20k on two targets but actually does 30k DPS since the leg takes double damage. 10k on boss 20k on leg. that means 5*20k DPS on leg which is still 100k and an aditional 10k DPS on boss! BOOOOM!

Even if it does only 35% dmg on single target. 35% of 20k DPS = 7k DPS, he still does 14k DPS on leg and 7 on boss which is 21k alltogether, which is still more then 20k DPS, the leg in this case would die a little slower but we kill it way faster in reality anyways, not a problem really. Basically if your cleave hits for AT LEAST 35% of your normal attack YOU USE CLEAVE! And let's not even go to the lenghts of passive CLEAVE like ghoul from Unholy DK. That's just insane here.

Same goes for Warlocks and Shadow Priests, or any DOT class. Dot up the leg and DPS body. Just make sure your dots kill the leg before next spawns and you stand in the circle. The DPS increase on legs isn't there to BOOST our raid DPS directly. It's there so we can kill the leg just with small attacks and it doesn't take our full attention in other words. Casters with DOTS, check on dummy if JUST your dot's do at least 35% of your damage.
    I didn't go into timing it down to much I used more round numbers just to prove a point.

Weider, that isn't how BF works and you are ignoring the main reason cleaves are OP. A true cleave (i.e. blade flurry) bases all the extra damage off the initial hit. If I hit the leg for 200k, I also hit the boss for 200k and not the 100k you suggest. That is why cleaving is a raid dps gain.

Rogues also don't do 50% of our single target damage to our target while using BF... We get less energy, but most of our damage as combat is white swings/MG/poisons and none of that will ever be any less while you are using BF.

Deleted
    My bad didn't know that.

And yeah you're completely right about the last part I didn't take into consideration, but in any way my point is still correct right?