Page 44 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I would disagree with that. While the direct cause of the civil war was the secession and attack on Fort Sumter. Slavery was a major factor in bringing the country to that point. Politicians had been "kicking the can" down the road on Slavery since 1787. A final reckoning was inevitable. Now I am not talking about racism. I'm talking about the institution of Slavery.
    Don't get me wrong it was a factor, but it is not the reason the majority of southerners supported the secession. The hot issue in the south was the taxation of cotton being sold internationally. Something they where all strongly apposed to. and it was something the North wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Sure, I see a similarity, I see 3 pictures with similar shading, what I dont see is the link you are attempting to infer, with your slanderous, dishonest posting.

Might I remind you of the following... the Slaves were freed by a Republican.... the KKK supported the Democrats for more than 100 years... Segregation was brought back into style by a Democrat, Woodrow Wilson... it was Democrats that passed Jim Crowe laws over the objections of Republicans.... a Democrat, who was Ku Klux Klan grand dragon was a US senator until 2010 when he died.

Or do you want that in pictures?
    Until 1950 this was the case, however the roles reversed. Kennedy was the First modern Democrat President, and a sign that the roles had reversed. The Democrats became the party of equality and change, and the Republicans which traditionally where the northern business party started to fill up with former southern democrats. Reagan was the first Southern Democrat to be elected as a Republican. He said so much often. He called them "boll weevils".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonvr View Post
    Wikipedia as a reference source? REALLY?!
    you cannot read constitution excerpts on that page?
    Does it matter where they are quoted?

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Better check your references there son. Nothing illegal about it.
    Texas Vs White, the supreme court ruled secession was an illegal act.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Yeah. I think it's impossible to say the civil war was about anything other than slavery, in the guise of states rights.
    I think it's possible to say that it wasn't about making life easier for those enslaved, however.

http://www.texassecede.com/faq.htm

Explains it well. And I think it would come down to the argument.

Interesting that Texas seceded AND was readmitted to the Union later.

[QUOTE=Gothicshark;19101935]Don't get me wrong it was a factor, but it is not the reason the majority of southerners supported the secession. The hot issue in the south was the taxation of cotton being sold internationally. Something they where all strongly apposed to. and it was something the North wanted.

Don't forget the other reason. Slavery was a hot button issue even before the taxtation. South feared Northern President would free the slaves, which would have crippled Southern economy. Who do you think planted and harvested the cottons?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I haven't heard anything about this.
    I can't find it googling, don't remember the details. It was posted a coupe of times in the election threads. Had something to do with allowing white only private business. If your from Texas and I can't find it, I probebly took personal opinion as an actual attempt by the government.

It's the IRL equivalent of some 14 year old coming to the forums here to whine "OMG Warlocks are OP they need nerfs I keep dying in 2v2." Nothing to read here, move along.
    "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

-The Doctor, Voyage of the Damned

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Don't forget the other reason. Slavery was a hot button issue even before the taxtation. South feared Northern President would free the slaves, which would have crippled Southern economy. Who do you think planted and harvested the cottons?
    The cotton Djinn?...

10+ Year Old Account

I like the "Facts" on the landing page...
    Outright ignoring clear words written in the US constitution.

To me it looks like a nice propaganda page thrown together, to (mis)inform the reader.

10+ Year Old Account

Interesting read, however he glosses over the facts a bit. Texas vs White is the last word on the issue, unless the US adopts a new amendment to the constitution spelling out a legal means of secession. As for readmitted as a full state of the union, this was because all confederate states where punished for treason. They all temporally lost the rights and privileges of being a state, much like a person guilty of a federal crime looses the rights and privileges of citizenship. This does not mean these states stopped being states, just like a federal offender is still an American citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Texas vs White is the last word on the issue, unless the US adopts a new amendment to the constitution spelling out a legal means of secession.
    Or unless the SCOTUS reverses its previous decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Protip: Wikipedia articles cite multiple external sources.
    Hah, it's not worth it. The "Wikipedia isn't a credible source of information" is one of the first techniques used by people in any internet argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even soviet Russia let their states secede when they wanted to, yet America is the land of the free. Why can't America just do to Texas what Russia did to Chechnya? (total sarcasm)

Texas does this ALL THE TIME. they tried to secede 4 years ago last time Obama was elected.

Texas is like a young child who doesn't get what he wants, he packs up his shit and walks to the end of the driveway, hangs out for 5 minutes, then gets bored and comes back.

If they did successfully secede, US average IQ would probably spike.
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think 'love it or leave it', meant that you take the state you live in with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    From the link posted. I am sure the Supreme Court uses this as reference to define whether secession is legal or not:

So, if the USA says, farewell, don't let the door hit you on your way out. You can leave.... If the USA says nope, not gonna happen, you cannot leave. Unless you start a revolution..
    Article 4 section 3 clause 1.... Can you highlight exactly where it says ANYTHING about secession?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    It was an issue and I'm not saying it wasn't, however the North didn't invade the south until the south attacked a Union Fort. History is written by the victors. As a person from a southern family, and as a person who studied the history in university. I can assure you the majority of the southerners signed up to fight the north because of Taxation Representation. Had the south won the institution of slavery would have ended naturally with in the same generation. How do I know this because there was a Strong Abolitionist movement in the South, also several new technology's where making it cheaper to not use slaves. A fact people forget the Abolitionist movement was based out of Several churches, and was not excepted by the majority of Americans, including a large portion of the Republicans. Lincoln was not an Abolitionist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    I can't find it googling, don't remember the details. It was posted a coupe of times in the election threads. Had something to do with allowing white only private business. If your from Texas and I can't find it, I probebly took personal opinion as an actual attempt by the government.
    I'd imagine that would violate existing anti-discrimination employment laws, would it not?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldnt care if the southern states left. They can take their racism and homo/xenophobic ways with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.