Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilananazz View Post
    Being unable to stop playing the game alone should be a sign. If you play it as a hobby you should have no issue to sometimes put it down and do something else if you wish. IE: Friends ask you to join them for something, you turn of the game and go out.

If you prioritize WoW before work, school, friends etc you clearly having some issues.

That's not what I meant. I meant that the person in question are unable to talk about anything else but wow. I talk games with my friends all the time. But i don't ONLY talk games with them.

Depends on how eager you are imo. If you can't stop thinking about it and getting back to it I would say you have some addiction. But ofc, everyone feels the eagerness to do something they like.

Honestly, I don't know many people that match that. If you're unable to socially interact with other people, take on your responsibilities, gets easily upset when not able to do what you like etc, then i think you have some addiction problems no matter if it's football or WoW.
    What about the show "The League"? They are a bunch of guys who rant on each other and just talk football. I think if you went to a big football school you would see a form of what is stated above in the home town of major football team. Does this constitute a reason to generalize to the rest of the public?

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 12:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    that's pretty much it. if you bitch because of the game, but you pay to play anyway, you're addicted
    What about throwing in the idea of hope? maybe there is another variable that is not being looked at?

You're only psychologically addicted if you want to stop playing and haven't been able to. A lot of players may have problems in their life as a result of playing too often or playing when they should be doing something else, but that means they have a time managment problem, not an actual addiction. I doubt very many people are literally addicted to World of Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Paraloser View Post
    What about the show "The League"? They are a bunch of guys who rant on each other and just talk football. I think if you went to a big football school you would see a form of what is stated above in the home town of major football team. Does this constitute a reason to generalize to the rest of the public?

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 12:18 AM ----------

What about throwing in the idea of hope? maybe there is another variable that is not being looked at?
    hope isn't why you give them your money EVERY MONTH. addiction is.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 06:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Griffter View Post
    You're only psychologically addicted if you want to stop playing and haven't been able to. A lot of players may have problems in their life as a result of playing too often or playing when they should be doing something else, but that means they have a time managment problem, not an actual addiction. I doubt very many people are literally addicted to World of Warcraft.
    psychological addiction is shown to be as strong as physiological and in some cases, worse. it's why people stay in bad relationships, it's why fans' weekends are ruined when their team loses, it's why you log into wow even though you don't want to

in most cases curing a physiological addiction is easier

10+ Year Old Account
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”
    ~ Albert Einstein

And into the den of lions I go...
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    If you're on a show to talk about your hobbies, then yeh ofc you are not going to talk about girls, cars or something else.
    There is nothing wrong in watching, enjoying and being part of something. But there is always a line where your fondness becomes obsession or addictive. IMO that's when your "eagerness" for this reaches a point where it's unhealthy, destructive and socially not accepted by your fellows.

You would not skip work every day to watch football, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricen View Post
    Im sorry the video game is NOT addicting.

Its fools who cant time manage, regulate their obligations, and are general slobs that gives games, especially MMO's, and ESPECIALLY Wow that kind of reputation. It infuriates me when i see these posts. Let the fools who just want to sink their life away rot. They aren't addicted, they are just making conscious decisions to play the game. Done, simple, easy, over.
    1) If you mean chemically (physiologically) addictive, then no obviously not.

2) People can nevertheless become "addicted" to almost anything (gambling, shopping, going to the gym, collecting garden gnomes...), it's a kind of compulsive behaviour.

3) Why do Americans say "addicting" instead of "addictive"? It sounds so weird.

4) Sounds kind of like you need a hug.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 12:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Griffter View Post
    You're only psychologically addicted if you want to stop playing and haven't been able to.
    You can also be addicted to something by not realising that you need to cut back in the first place. I'm sure a lot of methheads don't want to stop doing meth!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Usually their is 3 psychological conditions which attribute addictions to wow.

1. (Progression Curve / Cycle) If I don't play I will fall behind.
    2. (The social requirements) If I don't log-on I'm letting my raid down.
    3. (Interaction Issues) I don't need friends IRL people on wow like me more anyway

Most people tend to have these addictions which isn't necessarily a bad thing: Moderation helps though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    hope isn't why you give them your money EVERY MONTH. addiction is.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 06:21 PM ----------

psychological addiction is shown to be as strong as physiological and in some cases, worse. it's why people stay in bad relationships, it's why fans' weekends are ruined when their team loses, it's why you log into wow even though you don't want to

in most cases curing a physiological addiction is easier

Hope is a relevant category that Blizzard's game is dependent on. They lost the most subscribers when they made it too easy and there was no real hope for better gear. Hope is an evil and good emotion that we prey on each other every day.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 01:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Evilananazz View Post
    If you're on a show to talk about your hobbies, then yeh ofc you are not going to talk about girls, cars or something else.
    There is nothing wrong in watching, enjoying and being part of something. But there is always a line where your fondness becomes obsession or addictive. IMO that's when your "eagerness" for this reaches a point where it's unhealthy, destructive and socially not accepted by your fellows.

You would not skip work every day to watch football, would you?
    "The League" is not a show to talk about hobbies, but one that follow some men as they play their fantasy league and only talk about football.

I would not skip work but i would check in on scores what about that?

Deleted
    Hope is a relevant category that Blizzard's game is dependent on. They lost the most subscribers when they made it too easy and there was no real hope for better gear. Hope is an evil and good emotion that we prey on each other every day.
    The two big drops were at the start of Cata when things were hard and at the end when things were old and other games came out to occupy people.

I don't see how you can link "hope" and subs without reaching, if everyone was running around in the best gear you might have a point, but they weren't, by quite a long way

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 08nolanni View Post
    Usually their is 3 psychological conditions which attribute addictions to wow.

1. (Progression Curve / Cycle) If I don't play I will fall behind.
    2. (The social requirements) If I don't log-on I'm letting my raid down.
    3. (Interaction Issues) I don't need friends IRL people on wow like me more anyway

Most people tend to have these addictions which isn't necessarily a bad thing: Moderation helps though
    How would you define liking you on an online game? It is not the real you but a character of it, almost a projection right? So is it delusional to say that people like "me" more online than IRL? is it really you that they see?

It's very simple for me. I have played on and off since december 04. I go through WoW binges. Oh....I don't need to shower today. Oh...I can wait until after this BG to "blank." Oh I'll call in sick because ....

If you find yourself doing any of these things you are at least mildly addicted. All in all, anyone who plays more than 3 hours a day is probably addicted. You can defend it all you want but WoW provides your body with nothing other then chances at pleasure. I'm definitely addicted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    The two big drops were at the start of Cata when things were hard and at the end when things were old and other games came out to occupy people.

I don't see how you can link "hope" and subs without reaching, if everyone was running around in the best gear you might have a point, but they weren't, by quite a long way
    What about the hope that you will get the best gear? Most guilds were farming Cata way before the end because they had the best gear. It was the people who did not play that much that were still on "hoping" for better gear. At least that was what happened on my server

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    1) If you mean chemically (physiologically) addictive, then no obviously not.

2) People can nevertheless become "addicted" to almost anything (gambling, shopping, going to the gym, collecting garden gnomes...), it's a kind of compulsive behaviour.

4) Sounds kind of like you need a hug.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 12:33 AM ----------

You can also be addicted to something by not realising that you need to cut back in the first place. I'm sure a lot of methheads don't want to stop doing meth!
    Pretty sure 99% of Americans are in dire need of a hug. I'll take one, thanks

I cancelled my sub today. Going to try my hardest to stay away from the game. Browsing this forum probably isn't the smartest thing to do I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    My, my. That's quite the large generalization you've created, there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzow View Post
    Enjoying yourself is not an addiction, the sooner people accept that the better
    The true words of an addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisperawr View Post
    My, my. That's quite the large generalization you've created, there.
    Why though? He never said All Americans. Asside from that sometimes generalizations are just based on the truth. In this case i wouldn't know

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SooFaded View Post
    I cancelled my sub today. Going to try my hardest to stay away from the game. Browsing this forum probably isn't the smartest thing to do I suppose.
    I quit in February, 2012. I literally browse the forums every day. There's nothing wrong with it.

I come here to see what's new with the game I used to love (maybe hopefully one day I'll see a change that will draw me back to the game, as unlikely as that sounds...) & to discuss topics with like-minded people who enjoy learning and have for respect others for the sake of discussion.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzow View Post
    Enjoying yourself is not an addiction, the sooner people accept that the better
    I'm sorry but that's terribly wrong. Even if you enjoy your addiction, it's not good, not even for you just because you "enjoy" it.
    That's a fact, not a matter of opinions. If you could go 20 years ahead on time you would have a TOTALLY different point of view than you had 10 years ago or even now.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 02:21 AM ----------

Anxiety, stress... that's basically the way you know you are addicted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    I'm sorry but that's terribly wrong. Even if you enjoy your addiction, it's not good, not even for you just because you "enjoy" it.
    That's a fact, not a matter of opinions. If you could go 20 years ahead on time you would have a TOTALLY different point of view than you had 10 years ago or even now.[COLOR="red"]
    Beautifully put, the viewpoints change, why does the definition not? We have been using the same definition for an extended amount of time instead of actually thinking of more ways it may apply or the differences that it may bring. the fact still remains that yes we can see some signs of a dependence on substances, but is that all? are there more ways that this could be viewed? we do not take these things into account at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SooFaded View Post
    It's not all that bad. You'll take breaks to do other things, but come back to check what folks are doing (or arguing about, which are normally the same topic 5 years old and feel like you never left).
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."