Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    These threads are always so hilarious rofl, do something else with your time?

Also those mmo that you mentioned dont even come close to the ammount that blizzard has, and dont fucking say it has nothing to do with it, because it does, also WoW servers are strong and can old shit loads of people, but are also old. Try researching next time, it wont take a lot of your time.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    They're not notorious about it. That's something players have made up to make themselves feel better. Closing/merging servers is not a good thing.

Sorry I can't. I'd rather not have more "OMG WOW IS DYING QQ." They aren't the answer.
    First of all, no where in my post did I "QQ" or type in all caps. Blizz doesn't merge servers because it's bad for PR and they earn a lot of money from server transfers. That's all I'm saying, the game isn't "dying", its on a slow decline and that's just how it is. It's completely normal for an 8 year old game, no need to get all defensive.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    It's pretty unacceptable, honestly.

I imagine there is some internal Blizzard reason that of course they can't disclose, but from the outside it just looks like their business is structured very poorly if technicians have to jump through all these damn hoops to restart some servers and apply pre-determined fixes.

Even I can diagnose bugs in under 8 hours.
    if i had to guess

nvidia drivers came out yesterday. blue's response to a lot of crashing issues have been "it's nvidia's drivers"

there is a huge exploit in 3v3 that has been on ownedcore a week. it's severely affecting the ladders.

chances are that's why and i'm glad they are fixing shit, but they're not efficient at it

1. What the hell does the number of players have to do with the time it takes them to reboot their servers? They don't actually do anything to 10 million people's accounts, they just restart shit with Linux commands, clear caches, temp files, and perhaps update software and hardware (something I doubt they do every goddamn Tuesday).

2. It isn't 5 AM to 11 AM, for me here in Montreal it's 8 AM to 2 PM, because you have to add 3 hours to their EST time - and with their always extended downtime that goes all the way to 4 PM, 4:30ish. Why can't they start at 12 AM EST (3 AM East Coast) and end at something like 5AM EST (8 AM East Coast, latest 10 AM for extended)? Now THAT'S a time when freaking no one is playing the game, or when there's the lowest amount of people.

What's the point of putting Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 and WoW all on downtime during actual playable hours? Hell, why do they even need maintanence on the Diablo 3 and SC2 server, they barely have a 1.5 million players at their peak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    First of all, no where in my post did I "QQ" or type in all caps. Blizz doesn't merge servers because it's bad for PR and they earn a lot of money from server transfers. That's all I'm saying, the game isn't "dying", its on a slow decline and that's just how it is. It's completely normal for an 8 year old game, no need to get all defensive.

I was just making a statement. It had nothing to do with you. O_o I'm not the one getting defensive.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    These threads are always so hilarious rofl, do something else with your time?

Also those mmo that you mentioned dont even come close to the ammount that blizzard has, and dont fucking say it has nothing to do with it, because it does, also WoW servers are strong and can old shit loads of people, but are also old. Try researching next time, it wont take a lot of your time.
    wow moved and replaced all of their US servers a few years ago

they even auctioned the old ones off

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    1. What the hell does the number of players have to do with the time it takes them to reboot their servers? They don't actually do anything to 10 million people's accounts, they just restart shit with Linux commands, clear caches, temp files, and perhaps update software and hardware (something I doubt they do every goddamn Tuesday).

2. It isn't 5 AM to 11 AM, for me here in Montreal it's 8 AM to 2 PM, because you have to add 3 hours to their EST time - and with their always extended downtime that goes all the way to 4 PM, 4:30ish. Why can't they start at 12 AM EST (3 AM East Coast) and end at something like 5AM EST (8 AM East Coast, latest 10 AM for extended)? Now THAT'S a time when freaking no one is playing the game, or when there's the lowest amount of people.

What's the point of putting Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 and WoW all on downtime during actual playable hours? Hell, why do they even need maintanence on the Diablo 3 and SC2 server, they barely have a 1.5 million players at their peak.
    Because they are in CA and dont want to make their employees work a midnight shift, and its not like WoW isnt played 12am - 5am as well. I quite often am on late night. Hell some of the best arena action is past midnight.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

i hate how fanbois defend blizz so much that you have to come across like you hate blizzard to counter them. most of the friction on forums is because of fanbois, you guys outnumber the idiots who yell stupid shit at blizz 2:1

if your internet was down hours a week you'd have a shit fit

10+ Year Old Account
    Dang it! Every time someone posts on any forum complaining about the down time they extend the maintenance by 30 minutes! This is all your fault!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Because they are in CA and dont want to make their employees work a midnight shift, and its not like WoW isnt played 12am - 5am as well. I quite often am on late night. Hell some of the best arena action is past midnight.
    all the win trading is done at night amirite?

i know i am

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    I was just making a statement. It had nothing to do with you. O_o I'm not the one getting defensive.
    My apologies then, I misinterpreted your post as a personal attack on me.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    Having not played WoW in 2 years and coming back this being my first Tuesday I can honestly say this is one of the worst things about blizzard.

Why is it that Blizzard is the only developer that has this ridiculous amount of downtime?

SWTOR: 2-3 hours on patch day only. Only 5 min restarts weekly.

GW2: None, patches are applied with a client restart. Servers never go down

Rift: 1-2 hours on patches only. Server restarts weekly.

WoW: 5-8 hours every week.

Note to the mod that closed my last thread, this isn't to discuss this weeks extension. This is to discuss why Blizzards is so long compared to other industry standards.
    because its NOT 5-8 EVERY week, you are factually incorrect, either by accident or on purpose. I suppose if you wanted no updates, no tweaks, no nothing you could probably get away with no server maintenance, but eventually stuff would go sideways and they'd have to take it offline for a day or longer perhaps, might that be what you are aiming at instead?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    i hate how fanbois defend blizz so much that you have to come across like you hate blizzard to counter them. most of the friction on forums is because of fanbois, you guys outnumber the idiots who yell stupid shit at blizz 2:1

if your internet was down hours a week you'd have a shit fit

Insulting us doesn't help your cause and I've had my internet down for awhile to. I've been annoyed but it doesn't mean we should bitch at them immaturely. Thanks for the logical fallacy
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

These days are what Hulu was made for

10+ Year Old Account
    not really up for debate. we've gotten 11 hotfixes since mop launched because we are beta testers. when ownedcore exposes a new bug, blizz waits a while and hotfixes them all at once

you don't really think they internally test this shit do you? they've had to hotfix and tune bosses in each tier AFTER they've launched to the public

that's beta testing
    To be honest and open, you are wrong. You are currently not a beta tester, you are a client. Beta testing is when a new function is for testing, which we've already done. Now these new functions need to get calibrated.

Hotfixes are there to fix mistakes and the likes, as mentioned before, Blizzard employees are also only human and makes mistakes. And to gether all bugs on one fix saves time and lowers our chances of having to wait longer during a maintenance. And yes, they actually -DO- check and test for various bugs they we may uncover.
    Bosses has to be tuned for every tier to fit the human standards, it's more a punishment for us really. These fights that needs to be tuned are mostly due to lack of feedback from PTR's (Us, the testers)
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Well this is really blizzard's own fault.

there are currently 236 US servers, which could easily be merged down to probably somewhere around 50-75, but blizzard is notorious about never closing or merging servers ever even if they are completely dead so they can milk people for $25 server xfers
    246 US realms actually each probably have another 6 or servers attached to that realm, not including the login server. No one knows what goes on during downtimes so no one should assume. They could be sitting around having a laugh at fansite forums or live forums while people complain, they could be running backups incase of server failure, they could be upgrading/recompiling each servers kernel(assuming it runs on a *nix based operating system).

Closing/merging servers would NOT be a good idea.

also to the one who said x64 client from the way it acts is in beta, i've been using it since its release and never had an issue with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwayshealing View Post
    These days are what Hulu was made for
    That reminds me, unwatched new Red Dwarf episode...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    then why isn't it higher nwo than at 6 million subs

ANSWER: because it has jack shit to do with anything
    Why is it you insist on presenting misinformation constantly?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Having not played WoW in 2 years and coming back this being my first Tuesday I can honestly say this is one of the worst things about blizzard.

Why is it that Blizzard is the only developer that has this ridiculous amount of downtime?

SWTOR: 2-3 hours on patch day only. Only 5 min restarts weekly.

GW2: None, patches are applied with a client restart. Servers never go down

Rift: 1-2 hours on patches only. Server restarts weekly.

WoW: 5-8 hours every week.

Note to the mod that closed my last thread, this isn't to discuss this weeks extension. This is to discuss why Blizzards is so long compared to other industry standards.
    Easy answer:
    SWTOR + GW2 + Rift = ~1.5mill people playing at max

WoW: ~10.5mill people playing = way more Hardware & Software involved then the other mentioned crap games have overall....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    That reminds me, unwatched new Red Dwarf episode...
    hnnnngggg I love Red Dwarf.