Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I actually kind of like the warzones but otherwise I agree with your post here.
    I rather like Huttball and a few of the WZ too. But the PVP mechanics are rather terrible from a design POV.

Because well, it's a 2nd era MMORPG with a predominant PVE design. It is a contradiction to even have PVP present.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Inquisitor: double bladed Warrior: DW
    Inquisitor specializing in Assassin has the double bladed lightsaber, and the Warrior specializing in Marauder has dual wield :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I rather like Huttball and a few of the WZ too. But the PVP mechanics are rather terrible from a design POV.

Because well, it's a 2nd era MMORPG with a predominant PVE design. It is a contradiction to even have PVP present.
    Care to elaborate on what's so bad about it?

In my opinion PvP has a very simple but effective DR system to CC's. Roots are not determined to be a CC, which can in their own right be deadly with some of the maps you can play in, but ultimately I wouldn't go as far as generalizing the mechanics and saying they are terrible from a design PoV. PvP in Swtor also promotes different specs - at least on my server it does, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (best pvp server in the game in terms of competition, as proven by the multitude of EU and US teams showing up on the recent PTS release, and the EU whooped the US arses ). I mean, what other game promotes bringing a tank outside of flag carrying? Tanking, dpsing single target/aoe, and healing all factor in to bring a fantastic design to a game that is completely free to play. And no class lacks behind the other, as they all have their own unique roles, and if you have 8 different classes in one warzone fighting on the same side then you can really see how well they meld, if the players are half competent.

God I miss ranked warzones
    The Old Republic - Coral - Tomb of Freedon Nadd
    - Aseko - Marauder // Akeso - Assassin -
    - Akkyvineus - Shadow // Aseka - Sentinel -
    Stream // Hybrid Sin - Dat Push! - Carnage Op - Failbang
    i7 5820k 3.6ghz | MSI X99S ACK | Potenza 16GB DDR4 | MSI GTX 980 | 512GB Crucial M2 SSD | NZXT Phantom 630 Black | 1000W Corsair RM

Quote Originally Posted by Akeso View Post
    Inquisitor specializing in Assassin has the double bladed lightsaber, and the Warrior specializing in Marauder has dual wield :P

- - - Updated - - -

In my opinion PvP has a very simple but effective DR system to CC's. Roots are not determined to be a CC, which can in their own right be deadly with some of the maps you can play in, but ultimately I wouldn't go as far as generalizing the mechanics and saying they are terrible from a design PoV. PvP in Swtor also promotes different specs - at least on my server it does, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (best pvp server in the game in terms of competition, as proven by the multitude of EU and US teams showing up on the recent PTS release, and the EU whooped the US arses ). I mean, what other game promotes bringing a tank outside of flag carrying? Tanking, dpsing single target/aoe, and healing all factor in to bring a fantastic design to a game that is completely free to play. And no class lacks behind the other, as they all have their own unique roles, and if you have 8 different classes in one warzone fighting on the same side then you can really see how well they meld, if the players are half competent.

God I miss ranked warzones
    I also like the differentiation of the warzones as well. The the ways and tactics of each one are enjoyable. Like Hypergate points being very kill heavy, though if you have a good team and good tactics, you can still win just by taking the pylons and not killing anything. Or to Huttball, which is more of a deadly platformed soccer match on crack.

I did. It exists within a system of play and genre that is anathema to the design of equity in player vs. player competition.

"Good" (loose usage, effective game design would be a more accurate term) game design is objectively that with the fewest conflicts in rules and operation to achieve the fundamental design goals of the game.

Setting aside our own personal biases a "good" video game is that with the most consistent, harmonious and complex rules. A video game can not be anything else. Literally. You couldn't even play them otherwise.

That two game modes support not only desperate rule sets but bimodal rule sets in a majorly singular core design is to put it in vulgar terms;
    "terrible" design.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-01-28 at 04:39 AM.

Deleted
    Well, I think pvp is fun in this game, or at least was... dont know how it is today.
    That's why their free trial was way better than their f2p-model. In free trial you could play up to lvl 15 forewer, and run how many warzones you liked. Much better.

Btw how much do they charge for a weekly pass in warzones? My guess would be around 4 dollars, it means 16 if you want to pay just for warzones for a month, but then it's better subscribe and get it all. If it's more than 4 it's silly =) If it's less, well then I guess it's still cheaper monthly cost to subscribe right?
    That would be my bet anyway

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Inquisitor specializing in Assassin has the double bladed lightsaber, and the Warrior specializing in Marauder has dual wield
    I'm well aware of that. The post was following the KISS principle.
    BAD WOLF