Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    It's not good mixing cultures. It's a problem Westerners do thinking Asians are all the same. There's long term disagreements that these countries even play out in their games bordering from racism to extreme Xenophobia.
    Nonsense. Every fantasy novel/movie/whatever out there is based on a random mishmash of medieval European culture, with no regard for the fact that things were very different in different parts of Europe. It's all bunched together as medieval "European" armor, architecture, etc. in the exact same way that medieval "Asian" things get bunched together.

All of Europe tends to get bunched together as being somehow "European", with the possible exception of northern Europeans, who instead get steretyped as "vikings" (angry men with beards). Usually ignoring the fact that there's a 4-500 year time gap between classic vikings (before 1000 A.D.) and classic knights in shining armor (after 1400 A.D.).
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never thought Pandaren were childish... really, all of the races introduced in Pandaria slide right into already present... "archetypes of quirkiness." The grummels resemble gnomes in their mannerisms, (eccentric, occasionally squeamish) while the virmen are your standard Trogg/Kobold type enemies... so unless someone wants to argue that "Talking rat men are SO much more mature than talking rabbit men," I'll chalk them up too. The hozen seem like a fusion between Trolls and Goblins in their balance of "tribalism" crossed with "Batshit insane." The Jinyu are standard "wise elderly sages," and fit in right next to night elves and the like. The mogu slide right in with your standard Vrykul/burning legion army of anonymous soldiers. So nothing out of the ordinary there.

And as for the Pandaren, they're no more "eccentric" or "over the top" than goblins, no more "silly" than talking cow people, no more "stereotyped" than vrykul... So I don't really see how anyone can continue to pretend they think their childish.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    the thread was over and all was said after the second post. The rest ist just your usual bickering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    Nonsense. Every fantasy novel/movie/whatever out there is based on a random mishmash of medieval European culture, with no regard for the fact that things were very different in different parts of Europe. It's all bunched together as medieval "European" armor, architecture, etc. in the exact same way that medieval "Asian" things get bunched together.
    BS.

Did Blizzard play out Israel and Palestine in Uldum?

No.

Why not?

They understand why not to insert that into a game as it'll become politicized.

Flip this to MoP. What did they do? They politicized it and probably not even aware by how much.

Hint: play some of these Chinese produced MMOs, and see by what extremes State control educates their people about other cultures and worse.

Release a game in the Western world with selling Black slaves and there would be no end to that conflict. The Western world has their own mores and cultural beliefs...and we're aware of them. China does not, but they produce games with such content. Even uglier content.

As the world is changing and China is going to be a superpower, there is a lot Westerners aren't aware of what is going on (or care too because Asia is so "exotic" and "foreign"), and it's going to be a very rude awakening. It's not some united Asian front, if there wasn't intervention they would still be fighting each other like in the Middle East, let alone Europe has done.

Just because you don't see it (or want to see it), others do see it, clearly.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    I don't find the Pandarin childish. I just think the whole eastern feel to the expansion is not why I'm playing Warcraft.

I like the medieval feel that the game has now lost. The whole Wizards, Warriors, dragons and dungeon environment is why I play Warcraft, but MoP has completely ruined it for me.
    The Panadarin as a race is fine, but as more of a beast style than Kung fu Panda.

Never did find it any more childish than any other exp tbh. I also think that thus far they've hit the nail on the head exactly with both the difficulty level on both raids and dungeons, and with content to do. They haven't quite hit the balance with the rep/vp grinds (both raidbosses and hc's should reward a bit more than they do at the moment) but other than that this a really promising start to an expansion. Thumbs up!

I did not walk into MoP with such expectations and initially with the hord vs alliance conflict it showed contrary. As I progressed on in questing and touched upon the Pandiaria natives stories, they rang a bit of nostalgia towards movies I experienced in my far younger years like including the movie Ants. In some sense it is odd that I dont associate usual conflict stories with those from child movies, than again I can more closely associate the hord vs alliance conflict with the rest of the Warcraft series, this newer stuff with the exception of having a panda hero in WC3 that really just reminded me of Jackie Chan and drunken kung fu which is where that ended and I did not associate it with the Warcraft series.

I perk up when there are quests relating towards the more classic warcraft characters and the hord vs alliance conflict, when I get to the quest lines for the Panarian natives, I just lose interest. I also at times want to punch a Pandarian with what I find to be an over abundance of cliche stereotypical voice acting. I can put up with such for sort periods of time, yet when it comes to a game of which is the whole theme, it just gets irritating.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2012-11-18 at 10:44 PM.

I never thought it'd be childish from the get-go. Sure, I might have thought a few things were more silly/lighthearted, but so many adults can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that being either doesn't equal being childish. Tons of today's action/comedies and the like are full of moments that are silly, comical, or downright stupid, but you wouldn't find anyone calling Pirates of the Caribbean "childish."
    I knew from the beginning it would be about the same level as every other WoW release/expansion; some dark parts, some lighter parts, and everything in-between. I think I've actually been a little surprised at just how many darker parts there've been so far, and I've only completed Jade Forest, Kasarang Wilds, and Valley of the Four Winds; the most light-hearted zones in the expansion! With so much death and destruction in their formerly idyllic homeland, I'm kind of surprised at how at peace or happy the Pandaren continue to be.

Deleted
    Yup, and that's why I stopped playing this failure of an expansion. Let's hope the next one will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Attsey View Post
    Why are you trying to make a point that didnt need making?
    First off, I'm not sure how discussing my opinion about the topic of a thread on a public forum is something I should have to defend.

Second, since you weren't capable of understanding the reason for my post, people are trying to say that the Tillers reputation and with it, the Valley of the Four Winds is the most childish aspect of MoP. Childish would be in the realm of lack of realism, disregard for life and its struggles or necessities. The foundation of a society, and any threat to it, is the most solemnly realistic thing I could possibly think of. The Valley of the Four Winds is the most pivotal, important part of the continent. Any fight or struggle within it and the fight to protect and preserve it are so opposite of childish that anyone who really thinks adding this incredible amount of realism, and with it the threat to it, is childish... isn't paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I feel like it is blizzard's way of trolling China.
    Pretty much. I'd really like to see China release a MMORPG where you raid a Walmart, loot semi-automatic rifles, and do daily quests for cheeseburgers.

I find it pretty dark and mature.

At least the themes concerning raiding.

MSV and HoF are as non-childish as you can get

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I never found it any more or less childish than any other expansion so far.
    This sums it up for me aswell pretty much

Why would panda look alike humanoids be more silly than huggable cows, tiny people known as gnomes or space goats

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    Running around with a digital hero, casting magic, doing heroic quests and getting pixel loot ! The whole game is childish and always has been, the whole concept of gaming itself is pretty childish. That's why I love it, its just a lot of fun. People who think pandaren are childish need to take a serious look at themselves.
    Hang on, are you saying the whole game is childish but Pandaren are not?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I never found it any more or less childish than any other expansion so far.
    This pretty much mirrors my opinions too. I never understood why some people thought this expansion would be more childish than any of the previous ones.

Deleted
    BS.
    Ehm, no BS? Its exactly as he/she said.
    Every fantasy is a mix or reference of real world cultures. And MoP does exactly that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still do:
    1. Mantids could have had alot more done with them to make them look more ominous. Nerubians and Silithid both have a much more developed spooky aura to them, while I respect blizz might be trying to do something new they still have a much better potential than what they displayed with these guys, at least in character models, Heart of Fear is very well done as far as aesthetics go.
    2. Pandaren are much too goofy in their culture, the models are good, not necessarily what I had expected but still good.
    3. Sha look way too cartoony.
    4. In general the Chinese look blizz went for is much to bubbley and could have been done better.
    5. The story and dialogue development has boiled down to Varian vs. Garrosh in a way that is much to reminiscent of a cheap Saturday morning cartoon , where only a few characters decide the entire story in a far too predictable way. In Wrath and we had Tirion the whole way through which is similar in this respect but the aesthetics and story was much darker and worked to over shadow the cartooniness. BC, no real pivotal character working with the characters the whole way same with Vanilla. Cata, we had Thrall who eventually became the same type of archetype that was just plain blasé. Allowing people's toons to be the heros of the story makes it boring and allows people to make their own experience.

The word of the x-pac is cartoony
    "I intend to live forever."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    Ehm, no BS? Its exactly as he/she said.
    Every fantasy is a mix or reference of real world cultures. And MoP does exactly that.
    When was the last time Vikings were at war with England again?
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    I'll admit.. when I first saw the pandaren, the worry did cross my mind that it was becoming childish. But after giving the expansion a chance, I don't think it is. Its quite alot darker than other expansions in some areas if you think about it, I think its interesting that they have gone with the idea of taking a peaceful, beautiful land, and then destroying it with war, and negative emotion that brings about the sha. Kudos to Blizzard IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    When was the last time Vikings were at war with England again?
    793-1066 AD but I'm not sure what that has to do with the post you quoted.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."