Thread: Darkening Deeps

Darkening Deeps

This is one of the many reasons I am loving RIFT. Here is a lvl 20ish instance that will break up most PuGs. The spider boss (3rd boss) is TOUGH! I am really enjoying these types of challenges and just not being able to face roll low level instances.

I am still very new to this game, but are there anymore instance bosses that are this challenging? ( not talking about end game )
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Charmers Cauldera can be kind of tough. Last boss in Abyssal Precipice is tough the first time you do it. Back when Rift released the dungeons where not just breaking up PUG's, but actual guilds lol

Oh, I recall as well last boss of Deepstrike Mines (heroic), that was brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Back when Rift released the dungeons where not just breaking up PUG's, but actual guilds lol
    DANG! lol I love it !
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

The original DD was nuts. There were few non-exploit shortcuts and you were on the edge of death constantly. 50 chat would crack up when someone died to the 2 stealth assassins right after 1st boss. Everyone knew how tricky it was and how clothies go smashed in the face by 1-shots in there.

Rift dungeons ain't what they used to be.

The spider boss is only hard if your healer gets webbed. If you have some else who can heal when he does, it's really easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The original DD was nuts. There were few non-exploit shortcuts and you were on the edge of death constantly. 50 chat would crack up when someone died to the 2 stealth assassins right after 1st boss. Everyone knew how tricky it was and how clothies go smashed in the face by 1-shots in there.

Rift dungeons ain't what they used to be.
    The new SL expert dungeons say Hi! For now anyways until we out gear them. The experts are exhilarating once again and I dread to do them in a PUG in LFG.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    The new SL expert dungeons say Hi! For now anyways until we out gear them. The experts are exhilarating once again and I dread to do them in a PUG in LFG.
    Yea, I am really enjoying the instance content so far. Working our way into FT is kinda fun. But also I am feeling a little burned out and frustrated. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    But also I am feeling a little burned out and frustrated. :/
    I'll admit I was wiped by the time I hit 60. I needed a good 10 hour sleep session to re-energize. There is so much to damm stuff to farm up atm be it IS for gear/essences and then the gear from regulars then the jump to experts there's no way in hell anyway one can say there is nothing to do in this game. You just can't skip content in this game so it's defiantly content rich. I take it easy during the week now to be honest I don't need to race into raiding with in the first 2 weeks. I raced to max level and it ends there since I despise leveling in any and all MMO's (yes, SWTOR included space bar was my friend by lvl 30). I guess when you play so many MMO's over the years burn out is bound to happen. I'm just focusing on Rift atm and shelved everything else atm since it offers me the biggest PVE bang for my buck and fix from an MMO atm.

I'm still teetering on buying some other games from the Steam sale but I know I just won't have time for them so doing my best to resist the urge. You might be burnt out on the Rift recipe of content and should maybe give it break. I still see the enthusiasm from new and returning players blown away by how busy the world is but from a day one veteran like yourself it could be ho hum same ole.

Well off to make +70 wisdom seal I need a good augment for it but last time I checked the one I wanted was 500 plat on the AH....QQ MOAR.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was trying to solo dungeons once I hit 50 the other week and that Spider Boss killed me many many times. Even LoS didn't work on that web attack very well. Fortunately I got the idea to swap to an Elementalist Spec and use my pet as a web decoy. That worked out well, but the summoned spiders were still a bit overwhelming even for someone so high level.

Deleted
    Slightly off topic: I tried to Solo Gilded Prophercy the other day, tried for about 2 hours and managed to get the first boss to 20% and then Wiped due to the AOE poison I can't cleanse sub 30%..., Looking foward to when I'm raid geared going back in there and making some crazy spec to down him :P

Couldn't a Void Knight cleanse the poison on himself?

Deleted
    Couldn't a Void Knight cleanse the poison on himself?
    It's actually quite a complex thing there are a lot of mechanics in that fight, such as the boss still hits around 4k/hit, he also does the stacking debuff which increases damage taken and appears to have almost unlimited range, for this reason you need a pet to tank the boss, Tail strike also needs to be avoided by the pet or it almost 1 shots it, the pet also gets 1 shot due to stacks after roughly a minuite and a half, with a 2 minuite CD on the res, so its a mixture of pet management, extreme kiting, agro misdirection, along with adds and a fairly hefty dps check for a single person :P

Hm. How about binding the passive command on the pet to your force taunt when the swap when he does the tail thing. Iirc, the tail sting is aimed. But if the pet passive command retreats the pet in time of your taunt you should be able to tank swap as you would with a person. Theoretically at least. Beastmaster's pet is a derp-machine.

Deleted
    Hm. How about binding the passive command on the pet to your force taunt when the swap when he does the tail thing. Iirc, the tail sting is aimed. But if the pet passive command retreats the pet in time of your taunt you should be able to tank swap as you would with a person. Theoretically at least. Beastmaster's pet is a derp-machine.
    I'm a mage fyi, not to sure how it would work on a warrior ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Now I want to rename all my future pets "Derp-Machine".

Quote Originally Posted by Seatin View Post
    I'm a mage fyi
    I stopped caring about your efforts. ;p

jokes + stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Hiya View Post
    I am still very new to this game, but are there anymore instance bosses that are this challenging? ( not talking about end game )
    My experiences so far have been in normal modes only! The SL instances put fewer pulls between bosses - Exodus, for example, has the 3rd boss immediately after the 2nd, and probably a total of 9 trash pulls (if you include the first 4).

Here's a preview!
    • Exodus of the Storm Queen
      • Most bosses have an insta-kill mechanic that is pretty easy to avoid, but you have to know to do so.
      • Last boss is a significant boost in difficulty compared to the rest, healing and tank intensive at lower levels.
    • Storm Breaker Protocol
      • The encounters while in a mech suit are generally forgiving, and therefore can take a long time if you don't know what you're doing.
      • The Telephalon encounter has lots of interesting mechanics - gunner (with friendly fire?), novel "unwrap" mechanic - in addition to standard ground AoE. It's kinda similar to the spider boss, with a few additional mechanics layered on.
      • The last boss is again mostly easy when you know the positioning.
    • Archive of Flesh
      • Unfortunately (or mebbe fortunately?) there are some avoidable mechanics in SL instances. Avoiding the waves of the stampede is one of those cases (along with the last boss in Exodus) where there's a spot that seems to be reliably safe.
      • Another unwrap mechanism is present in this dungeon.
      • The last boss has multiple segments - like one of the bosses in Storm Breaker Protocol.

Overall, the mechanics haven't been breaking PUGs in my experience - sure, the occasional glitch has prevented completion, when it hasn't been low DPS / clueless players / low healing / undergeared tanks who don't use emergency buttons...