If you dont want to die in a home invasion dont do it

10+ Year Old Account
    He shot them and they went down.

To then stand over them and shoot them again is highly questionable.

To have your gun jam the second time you do the above, so you go fetch another gun, come back and shoot again is flat out wrong.

To then take that person down to your basement and execute them has no defence. It's murder.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Again, too many what-ifs. Did I ever say it was smart to "charge in?" No, please don't put words in people's mouths, as it makes you look incredibly foolish. I just think people like you think that burglaries are so simple, when they're really not.

If you can retreat and barricade yourself somewhere to call the police, great! That may not always be an option though, for many, many reasons. Especially if you have a family. Let's say your daughter is sleeping in a bedroom upstairs, and you hear broken glass shatter from the 2nd floor. Are you going to risk your daughter's safety? What if this burglar is there, specifically, to rape and kidnap a child?

Again, too many what-ifs. You guys are being so incredibly immature about the situation. It's time to grow up and realize that not every man is a superhuman who can handle these situations without anyone getting hurt.
    Not shooting someone is a superhuman feat in your view?

If someone needs to grow up it's the person thinking the world is like a movie and when people break in it's not to steal things it's to kill you and rape your child!

The world doesn't work like this, if you want to murder people because you are afraid of what they might do you are not fit to own a gun.

In 90% of cases, this included, you can retreat. If the intruders are in the room with you feel free to pull a gun on them but please do us all a favour and see if they are armed before you start firing so you don't end up killing your child or your daughters boyfriend, because what if they where her to rape and kill you and then rape you again!

people dont have to have a gun to kill you!!!!God forbid one day someone breaks in and does something so horrible it changes your life forever. Your attitude would be very different
    Quote Originally Posted by blib View Post

If someone needs to grow up it's the person thinking the world is like a movie and when people break in it's not to steal things it's to kill you and rape your child!

The world doesn't work like this, if you want to murder people because you are afraid of what they might do you are not fit to own a gun.

In 90% of cases, this included, you can retreat. If the intruders are in the room with you feel free to pull a gun on them but please do us all a favour and see if they are armed before you start firing so you don't end up killing your child or your daughters boyfriend, because what if they where her to rape and kill you and then rape you again!

15+ Year Old Account
    If we're talking about specifically this man, he has the right to assume the worst about those breaking into his home. He has the right to assume that they could possibly be armed. He even has the right to assume they're after his life, rather than belongings. Again, you may be selfless enough to take a chance and hope that no one gets hurt, but most are not.

The man failed to notify the police in a timely manner. He also executed two downed individuals. He should be held accountable for that, but not for protecting his home.
    Look I respect the way you've argued your points but I simply disagree. He should be charged with murdering those two kids or some approximation of that. It would be nice to have a cut and dry "defend your own home/life no matter what." But I believe the situation described to be a special circumstance due the the sheer calculated nature of the "self defense".

And with that I'm out I've gotta catch a bus.

Deleted
    would have shot them point blank in the head , that will theach those suckers! kids stay in school don't brake in crazy gramps house.

no compasion or any symphathy

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    The thing is we're not talking about every man, we're talking about this man, and the way I read him is he wasn't afraid or fumbling at all. It's like he had everything calculated out.
    He did. He was in his basement, when two assholes broke into his house. So he probably took up the best position he could and waited. (BTW, to all these Johnny Bleedyhearts, he was in his fucking basement, how much more, exactly, should he have been "retreating?") Instead of taking some things and leaving, these two mental giants decided "hey, let's go rile up the old man in the basement, he's probably got the good shit down there!" Or maybe they were just straight looking to beat the old guy so he'd tell them where the good meds were, who knows. He pops off a shot at one, and he falls down the stairs like a sack of shit. Then in true genius fashion, the other one decides to go bumbling down the stairs, I don't know, maybe expecting something different to happen. It was the 8th time this guy's place was broken into, he was probably determined to do something this time, if they came into the basement where he was.

And good for him. That's called "handling the situation." Two less shitbags around. And yes, they were shitbags, as they were breaking into an old guy's house.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

As I said to the other gentleman I'm debating with in this thread, if you're willing to take those chances with yourself and your family, that's your choice. You can't blame someone else for feeling differently than you in that scenario though.
    Yes I can, if someone is murdering people because they are small scared people everyone should take offense.

By your logic I should be allowed to kill you when I see you because you looked at me funny and you had your hand in your pocket and what if you had a gun in there and what if you were going to kill me. WHAT IF MAN, WHAT IF! To many what ifs, I'm better of just shooting you to be safe. You might think I shouldn't have shot you and you can risk your life in that scenario if you like but I won't!

---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 12:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kjcasey View Post
    people dont have to have a gun to kill you!!!!God forbid one day someone breaks in and does something so horrible it changes your life forever. Your attitude would be very different
    And I might feel differently about sharks if my grandmother was eaten by one but I don't go around killing sharks because of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one's asking for compassion or sympathy to the two teenagers (well no one rational, the Daily Mail just loves slandering America, gotta blame that gun law!) They took a risk and it didn't pay off, he could have killed both of them with the first shot and this would be a non issue.

What is wrong is someone went above and beyond the rights to defend his home, and became a murderer.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

An intruder is a threat until they are dead IMO. Would I have done the same? I don't know but as far as he knew the wounded person could have pulled a gun while the man was trying to deal with the other "possibly dangerous" intruder.

Quote Originally Posted by mortauk View Post
    An intruder is a threat until they are dead IMO. Would I have done the same? I don't know but as far as he knew the wounded person could have pulled a gun while the man was trying to deal with the other "possibly dangerous" intruder.
    and when she was shot up barely alive when he dragged her to her cousin and shot her point black under the chin, she was a threat then too?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't rob people, problem solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or it can just as well be, the next time you enter someones house brign guns and shoot him/them before they can shoot you.

This is why Norway have such a lower number of gun deaths per capita then the US, because the criminals knows people don't have guns so they don't need guns, nobody gets killed.
    They didn't enter the house, they BROKE IN... Why are you and every other person defending the kids by creating stupid hypothetical situations? "Oh you better go kill your neighbors because they're plotting to kill you" That's rubbish... they broke into his house and in a situation like that, you can't expect anything... you just have to prepare... if you knew anything you'd know that humans have 2 options... Flee or fight. This man chose fight and was willing to defend his house from anyone... they could have been in there to kill him... they could have been in there to just steal meds... but that doesn't matter... he decided he would sit at the bottom of his stairs and prepare for anyone coming after him... it just so happens the kids were in there for meds... they were obviously drugged out of their minds, considering most 18 year old girls won't be laughing after getting shot and rolling down a set of stairs. They were bad kids... they had substance issues and they went as far as burglary to get their fix... that's the life of a junkie... whether it be now or later down the road, death is something that was in their near future... now if this had happened 10 years down the road when they'r 27 and 28... I can assure you that no one would be defending them... everyone would call them low lifes and failures... but no, since they're kids, everyone has to make it look like it's the old mans fault... He's not a cop, he's not trained for those situations and I bet he doesn't have the accuracy at his age to wound but not kill... Him killing the girl was perfectly fine... maybe not the angry shots after she was laughing, but that's what adrenaline does... it makes you act and think later... He just wanted to be safe and by killing them, he was... hell if some chick was laughing at me after getting shot and tumbling down some stairs, I would be scared... Would think there's more than just both of them... like those villains who laugh right before dying because they boobytrapped the room with bombs... I'm just saying, the average person can't be convicted of murder when they weren't looking for it... he's just an old man who wanted to live in solitude and a bunch of druggies bash in his house to find meds. The only reasons people are arguing that he shouldn't have shot them is because they knew who and why the kids were in the house... IF YOU'RE IN HIS SHOES YOU DO NOT KNOW WHO'S IN YOUR HOUSE. Why is everyone acting like they're a cop and are experienced with adrenaline situations like this? Don't be arrogant.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account

Well, I dont think that anyone gets raped in a home invasion. Thats serial killer/rapist type stuff, and its completely rare.

You know whats not rare? An armed bugler entering your home in the USA and being startled by a dog or child and opening fire and running away. Criminals in America know damn good and well that its not a good idea to break and enter unarmed. They know the risk they are taking. PERIOD. There is NOTHING left to say, its a fact. Ever heard of the saying "Dont bring a knife to a gun fight"? Im sure you have. There are too many risks.

Possibly. She could have pulled a gun and shot him it doesn't take much strength to do that. It's a shame try lost their lives it truly is but they were in the wrong. It doesn't matter if he was scared fumbling nervous or anything he has a right to defend his property and life by any means. Like I said I don't know If I would have but I may have ended up being shot in the back for my compassion

Sounds like everyone in this story was in the wrong. But especially the guy with the gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    and when she was shot up barely alive when he dragged her to her cousin and shot her point black under the chin, she was a threat then too?
    There's a reason they call it a merciful killing... the damage was done after he shot her multiple times... she was far gone from being kept alive. That last bullet through the chin was to end whatever pain she was feeling... but I highly doubt that since she was already laughing after taking a bullet... She was probably so drugged out that she barely felt the bullets.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

its way more likely she will have a home invasion i can only hope she will be prepared
    Yes I can, if someone is murdering people because they are small scared people everyone should take offense.

By your logic I should be allowed to kill you when I see you because you looked at me funny and you had your hand in your pocket and what if you had a gun in there and what if you were going to kill me. WHAT IF MAN, WHAT IF! To many what ifs, I'm better of just shooting you to be safe. You might think I shouldn't have shot you and you can risk your life in that scenario if you like but I won't!

---------- Post added 2012-11-28 at 12:00 AM ----------

And I might feel differently about sharks if my grandmother was eaten by one but I don't go around killing sharks because of that.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    This wouldn't have been such a hot topic if the first shot was lethal, and for all we known it might've been. I'd rather take a quick death over a 15 minute bleed out.

And honestly, if there was a law in my city that allowed people to shoot to kill or defend their home with deadly force, I'd stay the fuck out of other peoples homes?
    It's the other way around where I live though, you actually have to be carefull about assualting intruders, you can easily get the blame.

It's playing with fire, and they got burnt.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    There's a reason they call it a merciful killing... the damage was done after he shot her multiple times... she was far gone from being kept alive. That last bullet through the chin was to end whatever pain she was feeling... but I highly doubt that since she was already laughing after taking a bullet... She was probably so drugged out that she barely felt the bullets.
    This is a poor arguement. Killing someone for mercy is illegal... killing someone to protect your own life is not. I hope he doesn't use that arguement in court.