Page 14 of 83 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by duster2 View Post
    No - I think he means the game might be loosing about 20% of the playerbased until next expansion and just slowly recover to 15% loss in the next one. That is ofc... if Titan fails.
    Right... So 5% drop in subscribers per expansion then? That would mean WoW would have an active subscriber base for...infinite expansions!

Quote Originally Posted by DistortionSleep View Post
    What's startling is how bad the mods here on MMO champion really are, I mean why must they torture us by not locking threads like these? If I was a mod this shit would of been locked 12 pages ago. Nothing good will come of this thread, but yet it's still up.
    Just because the numbers dont make WOW look awsome it still is a valid point that ppl should be free to talk about. It sounds to me like you would treat freedom of speech rather lightly...

Just because the numbers dont make WOW look awsome it still is a valid point that ppl should be free to talk about. It sounds to me like you would treat freedom of speech rather lightly...
    Freedom of Speech. Turns out both sides get to use it. Go figure

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    Cause they want WoW to be better? Because they have that tiny hope by looking on WoW-related sites to see in news something like "GC and his team are replaced" and WoW is to be returning to it's days of glory? Because if everyone will be denying obvious flaws in game, it won't get better?
    What's worse? The so-called "denial" people are in about the state of WoW, or the complete and utter disconnect from reality the people who are pining for the "glory days" have?

Hmm.

Deleted
    Rift / GW2 / SW fanboys are getting more and more desperate to discredit WoW. It's pathetic really.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    umm there was a decline, losing 2 million subs in one expansion is a decline, all people are saying is the same numbers happened with that decline as is happening now...
    Post hoc fallacy, look it up. Playing time has only a tenuous connection to subscriber figures, and tying the two together is pure oversimplification. People are trying to play Nate Silver and divine some trend out of woefully incomplete data, but I'm sorry, it doesn't work like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Right... So 5% drop in subscribers per expansion then? That would mean WoW would have an active subscriber base for...infinite expansions!
    from 12 million down to "over 10" is not 5% Its 16.5% loss in terms of playerbase.
    Last edited by duster2; 2012-11-29 at 03:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekosom View Post
    Post hoc fallacy, look it up. Playing time has only a tenuous connection to subscriber figures, and tying the two together is pure oversimplification. People are trying to play Nate Silver and divine some trend out of woefully incomplete data, but I'm sorry, it doesn't work like that.
    We'll see If the numbers are right subs will go down, if they aren't they won't only time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Rift / GW2 / SW fanboys are getting more and more desperate to discredit WoW. It's pathetic really.
    Yep. They forget the only reason these games even exist is because everyone wanted a chunk of the WoW fame from the past 8 years

Deleted
    People dont play D3 much now.

With D3 their goals was to make a ton of coin on release - which they did,

and implement the RMAH that would bring them loads of coin on a regular ongoing basis for doing very little work, the serious drop in player numbers put paid to that, it'll make some but its not the goldmine they were hoping.
    How do you know what exactly they were hoping? It's normal that a game like D3 doesn't have that many people playing it after being out for a couple of months. There's still money coming in from the RMAH, so that can in no sense be called a flop.

Deleted
    from 12 million down to "over 10" is not 5% Its over 16%
    You're the one who said 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    If you think 2,820/10,000,000 is an 'adequately large sample', you really need to redo your statistics class. That's far less than 0.001%.
    No, you need to redo your statistics class. 2820 is an adequately large (randomized) sample, regardless of the population size. That could be a sample from a population of a trillion, or a trillion trillion, and it would still be adequate to give good statistical error.

Really, you have no clue mathematically.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2012-11-29 at 03:21 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    no, you made 5% up by misreading his post, hes said a 20% loss recovered to only a 15% loss, for some reason you took one away from the other to come up with 5.

No I said it lost 20% and then recovered to 15% loss at the start of MOP. Dont put words in my mouth.

We'll see If the numbers are right subs will go down, if they aren't they won't only time will tell
    Yeah, lets just calmly ignore the years before Cataclysm where these sites suggested declines in WoW when there wasn't one.

What's worse? The so-called "denial" people are in about the state of WoW, or the complete and utter disconnect from reality the people who are pining for the "glory days" have?

Hmm.
    I spent more time on preCata servers this expansion than in actual MoP. Call it disconnect from reality, whatever, but those servers are quite popular, especially with Cata and MoP trainwrecks.

Deleted
    Well I belong there tbh. I bought MoP, resubbed, played some... I kinda liked it actually, went nolife mode for almost a week. Then it started to get old... Now my account has been inactive for about a month. Though I got a free 10 day email, activated it on Saturday, logged in twice in those 6 days...
    Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    And XFire is accurate? Come on, no one uses that sh*t, except a certain demographic that happens to play less... Let me guess, that same demographic happens to play shooters... It's nice that you want to say something meaningful, but it didn't work out, sorry.
    Man are you high? Those are the people devoted to gaming enough to actually use an instant messaging / social network software for computer gamers. Some play shooters only, some play WoW only, some play both, some play Minecraft... Whatever...

The data from xfire sure as hell means something, regardless of you not knowing anyone using the software. If anything people on xfire are mostly old timers or people brought in by old timers, their behaviour certainly isn't unimportant.
    Last edited by mmoc6af618f320; 2012-11-29 at 03:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Yeah, lets just calmly ignore the years before Cataclysm where these sites suggested declines in WoW when there wasn't one.
    I'm not ignoring them i just cant find them seems warcraft realm's dont historically save their graphs else i would go back and find TBC and WOTLK's to see the correlation, with release month and player activity in the monthd after. They have player concurrency graphs they used to do regularly but they stopped doing them in 2010 so i cant compare them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    Man are you high? Those are the people devoted to gaming enough to actually use an instant messaging / social network software for computer gamers. Some play shooters only, some play WoW only, some play both, some play Minecraft... Whatever...

The data from xfire sure as hell means something, regardless of you not knowing anyone using the software. If anything people on xfire are mostly old timers or people brought in by old timers, their behaviour certainly isn't unimportant.
    The people using XFire are not representative for all players. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Hours spent playing WoW typically reaches a peak right after an expansion releases, then gradually declines. The decline this time, however, looks like it's much more rapid.

On XFire, weekly hours spent playing WoW are down over 50% from the week of the release:

Week Ending | Hours Played
    Sept 30 | 67,659
    Nov 27 | 32,617

(this is not a Thanksgiving weekend effect, btw; the decline has been inexorable for the past two months.)

See Nosy Gamer's blog for this data and a spreadsheet with other weeks, as well as data for other games:

http://nosygamer.blogspot.com/search.../digital_dozen

Warcraft Realms also shows activity data. It's noisier and less reliable, but appears to be tracking the XFire decline

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/weeklyfactionactivity.php

(Compare to this archived image of the decline after the release of Cataclysm)

http://inanage.files.wordpress.com/2...vitygraph2.png
    Do you feel good about yourself when posting this kind of drivel? If you don't like the game, leave.