Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Examples of Videogames "disrespecting" the players

Give your examples guys
    Which games or methods used by gaming companies you perceive as a total disrespect to its players?

They are usually in the form of:

-Timegates
    -P2W
    -Timewasters
    -etc

My examples:
    -FIFA (i think it changed name recently) ultimate team is probably the most disrespect in all of gaming imo
    Is a gacha that resets every year and every "new" release has minor gameplay differences from the previous game.
    -Bribing playerbase to do something IRL for pitiful amounts of some ingame currency like when Genshin bribed everyone to sub to Amazon for 60 primos

About 10-12 years ago I enjoyed playing APB: Reloaded with my friends. It was like GTA Online I guess, but built around cops vs crooks in that either side do a set of missions and the other attempt to thwart them. Fun with friends.

Then came the golden guns you could buy with real money. They had better stats than the ones you could earn in-game, but they weren't too game-breaking yet. We noted when our opponent had them, but we could still win.

Not so much a bit later when the devs included bazookas into the P2W collection. Those would one-shot cars, rendering missions effectively impossible. But that's not all, they also added a feature where your character could stand on the roof of the car while their team-mate was driving. And like that they could shoot their bazookas at their pursuers without stopping.

I guess at that point the devs could tell their game was on death's throes, so that absolute BS was probably to grab whatever money was left on the table.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Oh another disrespect i forgot about
    This was a drama a while back...i think the game was "Street Fighter X Tekken"

It had "unreleased DLC content" on the disk at launch.

Instead of realeasing a full game on release, they intentionally released half a game just to sell later as DLC.

I have no problem with DLC. I'm happy to support indie games who get a lot of funding from things like DLC packs or little game expansions. The biggest disrespect however is when a major game company intentionally releases an "incomplete" version of the game for full price only to sock you with the DLC costs later. Fuck them.

When big companiesrelease a shoddy version of the game that needs at least 3-4 patches to be playable on the hardware that isn't the dev's workstation (I'm looking at you Cyberpunk 2077) is also disrespectful and just bad business.

All gatcha games that market themselves as "not a gatcha" are evil. If you're going into the gme knowing that it's P2W, then that's fine, but don't promote the game as something else entirely.
    "Free FOMO stuff for new players" while ignoring the old players is super disrespectful---but that's 99% of gatcha games anyway.
    "...just imagine if we got a Drust focussed shadowlands instead of the 3d printed robot power tier titan horseshit instead. What might have been eh?" -dope_danny

Unskippable cutscenes and tutorials.

Horrible.

Takeshi's Challenge but that is literally made to fuck with you

Making me pick up 30 different currencies of varying value that don't stack.

Gacha games that require pulling multiples of something to unlock the character fully.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    unpausable anything in a single player game or mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

WoW with the amount of obscenely low drop rates and long respawn times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trailers that do not show actual game play. Or worse, shows the game play, but hide the UI.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    unpausable anything in a single player game or mode.
    This. Played Tales of Arise and at some point there's a 2 hour marathon of cutscene after cutscene with no way to pause. And I really wanted to go to the bathroom...

Also vendor items not clearly marked as vendor items in a game with limits to your bag space or to how much you can carry. Like half the items in BG3...

Any Capcom game from the mid to late 90s. Christ those English localizations were awful.

Honorable mention to Actraiser 2, who got rid of everything that made Actraiser 1 interesting, because Enix of America thought that North American video game enthusiasts were too dumb to appreciate a platformer with RPG & City sim elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    When big companiesrelease a shoddy version of the game that needs at least 3-4 patches to be playable on the hardware that isn't the dev's workstation (I'm looking at you Cyberpunk 2077) is also disrespectful and just bad business.
    This. I would say its by far the worst practice because of just how common place its becoming.

We're now celebrating game developers for releasing polished products we play full price for and don't have to beta test as if its not something they should be doing all along to begin with.

Bethesda as a company I feel disrespects the players quite often. A company that leans so hard on the community to fix and better their games to the point its become a meme. It was clear with Fallout 76, where the players couldn’t fix it, how much of a mess they were.

In spite of that I sunk a lot of hours into 76, found a good group and had a lot of fun. If there are better communities around games, I’d love to hear about them.

COD

Guns and components are locked behind arbitrary grinds to keep you playing and every time you log in they have new things in the store.

I feel like the game is designed to manipulate me into giving it time to increase the likelihood I'll give them money.

Pretty similar feeling with WOW the last few years.

i have the incredibly good fortune of not being interested in any of the types of games that tend to get monetized in shady ways, so for me "disrespect" comes down much more to delivery of a promise, or expectations.

so for me the two biggest offenders of disrespecting me and my time that i can think of in the recent years is god of war: ragnarok and zero dawn: forbidden west... both of which took almost mind-bogglingly amazing games that set up the next game so god damn beautifully you'd have thought they were made by ronnie "the rocket" o'sullivan (look it up, that is a banger of a reference) and then ragnarok and forbidden west were both barely playable piles of unmitigated dog shit both unto themselves, and were so unutterably god awful that in a lot of ways they ruin the perfection of the games before them.

OH!
    games that try and use the motion sensor or the gamepad as core gameplay elements (looking at you, fucking suckerpunch).
    and any game with combat or that is strongly 'real time' that doesn't let you freely remap its buttons. i've had to give up entirely on several games in recent years because 30 years of muscle memory doesn't want to let go of where light/heavy attack should be and accept r1/r2, and i couldn't just remap the controls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Destiny 2
    Any Gatcha game ever made
    Diablo Immortal
    most MMOs
    there's A LOT of games that fall under the criteria you have set out, the most egregious of which are all 'modern' in their age profile, there's a few old games that had time sink features added as a way to elongate content, but they were generally few and far between at that point in gaming history.

10+ Year Old Account
    'don't u guys have phones?'
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Games that let you become powerful BUT then you get to a scenario fight where all the gear and levels you earned means nothing.

Quick time events, most notorious in Resident Evil 6.