Poll: how do u feel about this concept

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Necromancer should just be a 4th spec for Death Knights that specializes on ranged attacks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    This or GTFO.

I'm not one of the people who knew about WoW lore before I started playing and I still can't find the effort to care 6 years later. I personally don't care about what it would take to get the style/feel of a D2 Necro because I'd happily throw all the moneys at it. Bone would be a blast to play in the WoW setting.
    Will do just w8 for it

DK 4th spec with intellect plate, that would be my idea.

I could easily see the Necromancer in a party casting spells and the Necromancer would be waiting for the moment an enemy dropped dead just so they could cast aoe corpse explosion followed by a chain of corpses exploding =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    What I was trying to explain was that Blizz took their idea for a Runemaster and their idea for a Necromancer and mashed them together to make the Death Knight. Particularly the Unholy tree's ghoul manipulation, bone armor, etc. from Diablo 2.

What they didn't incorporate was bone walls, bone spells (Teeth, Bone Spear) and poison abilities. That could be a possible venue.

That being said, the idea was that you take the character you have an irreversibly turn it into a new class utilizing their original spells, spells from the second class, and completely original spells. Both classes would have the option of upgrading to the same prestige class.
    I will definitely take a look at the necromancer from diablo 2 and see what I can do with that, rest assured =P. But u can't seriously conceive a death kight as a good enough representation of a runemaster or a necromancercan u? Sure Blizz took some basic mechanics to form a unique class but the DK's resource and unholy/death spells shouldn't be exclusive to it.

And about ur prestige class... how can u balance that class with others if u can't even shape it cohesively without just mashing up all anilities from those 2 different classes 2gether?
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2012-12-15 at 01:50 PM.

The only problem I had with Diablo II necromancer was that after a while no matter how many points you sank into raising the dead and making them stronger the enemies would get to a point where they treated your constructs like wet paper bags, and thats on normal mode and if you f'd up your build you had to start over from scratch. It pretty much forced you to play with bone armor and bone spears rather than being able to play the class the way I wanted to, with lots of undead skeletons doing my dirty work.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    The only problem I had with Diablo II necromancer was that after a while no matter how many points you sank into raising the dead and making them stronger the enemies would get to a point where they treated your constructs like wet paper bags, and thats on normal mode and if you f'd up your build you had to start over from scratch. It pretty much forced you to play with bone armor and bone spears rather than being able to play the class the way I wanted to, with lots of undead skeletons doing my dirty work.
    I dont know what patch you had, but skeletons were almost unstoppable at normal and were perfectly viable at higher difficulties (except for magi, yeah those sucked).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    DK 4th spec with intellect plate, that would be my idea.
    I'm saving that 4th spec for a hellfire based spec...

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 10:54 PM ----------

I could easily see the Necromancer in a party casting spells and the Necromancer would be waiting for the moment an enemy dropped dead just so they could cast aoe corpse explosion followed by a chain of corpses exploding =)
    U see I do also like what u're talking about, but having a necromancer focused only on doing damage after the enemy is already dead would be terrible in pvp =S. but I sense where I can take this to and of course I want to llow necromancers to excel from dead enemies hehe. Maybe what u're saying can be put in somehow, but if not, then I'd take it for a major glyph!
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2012-12-15 at 01:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My thoughts on a Necromancer class;

1. Don't make them a hero class. Have them start at lvl 1.
    2. Three specs. 1 Spec is based on poisons and Shadow Magic, another is based on undead minions and spirit energy, and the final one is a twisted healing spec.
    3. Great care will need to be taken to separate them from Warlocks, however, Blizzard could give them numerous abilities from WC3 and Diablo and keep them distinct.
    4. They should be clothies, not plate wearers.
    5. Necromancer summoned units should not be permanent, but they can use talents and buffs to keep their summoned units up for longer periods of time. They can also summon more than one undead minion at a time.

Possible abilities:

From WC3:
    Raise Dead: Raises 2 skeleton warriors from a corpse (core ability) Skeletons have different abilities based on spec.
    Cripple: Reduces movement speed by 75%, attack rate by 50%, and damage by 50% of target enemy unit.
    Shade: Sacrifices a target and turns them into a shade under the command of the Necromancer. Shades can see invisible targets.
    Shadow Strike: Hurls a poisoned dagger which deals large initial damage, and then deals damage over time. The poisoned unit has its movement rate slowed for a short duration.
    Curse: Curses the target, increasing their chance to miss.

I would also utilize spells from Diablo 2's Necromancer and Diablo 3's Witch Doctor.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2012-12-14 at 11:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see the spellbook idea implemented. I've wanted an eldritch tome that you could customize with pages made from special papers and inks since vanilla.

Deleted
    In my idea, the evocation spec would be the spec more akin to the classic necromancer from Diablo 2. If you want to play a necromancer that does not use bone spells than this would be it and since you can have up to 3 medium term pets at the same time and without the weakness you so complain from diablo 2 skeleton minions. Mathematically, these 3 pets should make 3/2 of any of the other classes's pets.

Deleted
    Death Knight is basically your average D&D Necromancer (Even though they are more focusing on spells). Melee oriented summoner with various damaging and self-healing spells. Armour and defense oriented spells replaced with plate.
    Last edited by mmoc6f54e43091; 2012-12-15 at 01:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    My thoughts on a Necromancer class;

1. Don't make them a hero class. Have them start at lvl 1.
    2. Three specs. 1 Spec is based on poisons and Shadow Magic, another is based on undead minions and spirit energy, and the final one is a twisted healing spec.
    3. Great care will need to be taken to separate them from Warlocks, however, Blizzard could give them numerous abilities from WC3 and Diablo and keep them distinct.
    4. They should be clothies, not plate wearers.
    5. Necromancer summoned units should not be permanent, but they can use talents and buffs to keep their summoned units up for longer periods of time. They can also summon more than one undead minion at a time.

Possible abilities:

From WC3:
    Raise Dead: Raises 2 skeleton warriors from a corpse (core ability) Skeletons have different abilities based on spec.
    Cripple: Reduces movement speed by 75%, attack rate by 50%, and damage by 50% of target enemy unit.
    Shade: Sacrifices a target and turns them into a shade under the command of the Necromancer. Shades can see invisible targets.
    Shadow Strike: Hurls a poisoned dagger which deals large initial damage, and then deals damage over time. The poisoned unit has its movement rate slowed for a short duration.
    Curse: Curses the target, increasing their chance to miss.

I would also utilize spells from Diablo 2's Necromancer and Diablo 3's Witch Doctor.
    1-I still prefer the concept of hero classes. We already have many common classes and not to say I prefer one or the other or that Blizz pretermits one over the other but since we have the concept already put down for more hero classes I think I might take it up on that =). Afterall, it's just a matter of starting zones and levels right? And I am making sure the perequisites to create any of these hero classes please the seasoned player and at the same time, baffles the noob.
    2-poisons are the only thing I haven't worked into the class cause I am saving them to my WD class hehe.
    3-The difference is Whale-onic. Necromancers are to be the first(maybe last) leather caster with pets. Plus they shall use pure shadow, shadownature, poison and physical damage from bone spells. 2 of the specs will be able to have 3 pets at the same time at the cost of them not being permanent. Necromancers do not spend their own health to empower themselves, instead they use their enemies'.
    4-Made them leather so they stand out more. Cloth casters are already a too often seen show in games.
    5-checked
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2012-12-15 at 03:01 PM.

Deleted
    DKs and Warlocks are enough of the "dark arcane" or "undeath" as we need. Necromancer would be cool, but only if the 2 classes I mentioned didn't exist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I would love to see the spellbook idea implemented. I've wanted an eldritch tome that you could customize with pages made from special papers and inks since vanilla.
    Oh really, that's kewl! Would you by any chance have any ideas u would like to share ?

---------- Post added 2012-12-15 at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Daisho View Post
    Death Knight is basically your average D&D Necromancer (Even though they are more focusing on spells). Melee oriented summoner with various damaging and self-healing spells. Armour and defense oriented spells replaced with plate.
    until we get a dk caster capable of summoning various pets and that's weaker than plate or mail I don't see how the DK can be called a necromancer to it's full name. It may be a hybrid of a necromancer and a paladin, but that's not enough to cover the necromancer.

Deleted
    Looks like a warlock with undead instead of demons.

But then, I said they wouldn't make a monk class because it would be basically a paladin.

Personally I'd prefer them to flesh out the existing classes more again. If druids can have 4 specs, maybe necromancy could be the 4th warlock spec.

Not really a fan of "hero classes" in wow, just making them start at bc content doesn't really scream "hero class" at me. It would make sense if you started as a warrior, then at some point had a choice between staying warr, or going pally or DK. OR mage to lock or priest (or necromancer).
    Last edited by mmoc53a5d0407d; 2012-12-16 at 02:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    Oh really, that's kewl! Would you by any chance have any ideas u would like to share ?
    Ah, it was basically just lists of the different type of items you would need to fuel your abilities and upgrade your book.

We've moved on from making classes item dependent though, so it's not relevant anymore.

I like the dark matter mechanic of banking resources to cast spells. I think a class can have a similar theme but if the gameplay is distinct enough it can be interesting - both warlocks and death knights have a grimdark theme but they're distinct classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love a necromancer class, always wanted one since I played WC3. Sadly I doubt we would ever get one, because of death knights and warlocks having some of the same theme.

Necromancer is like a gimped DK. Necromancy is just a part of DK's power in WoW's lore. DKs can raise undead and everthing Necromancers can but DKs can also do more than that. I know you can spin around to make the class but I personally think necromancer will never happen because not only the class is not unique enough in WoW's lore but it's also not iconic enough. Blizzard may feel like something like Demon Hunter worth their time more to try to fresh the concept eventhough DH also overlap with warlock.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2012-12-16 at 06:44 AM.

I honestly <3 necromancer classes and play then in nearly any game with them. My only concern is the amount of classes that WoW is starting to involve, adding another could take effort to balance in. God why add a monk class? Martial Arts does not fit the WoW combat IMO.

To the previous posts about homogenization, if adding this class involves standardizing the other classes further, then my vote goes against it.