Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Which DPS is doing great atm and not likely to get nerfed?

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for an efficient damage dealing class I can play. I have one of every class at level 85 but I haven't decided which to level yet.
    I'm not interested in hearing "play what makes you happy and is of entertaining value to you" - I'm looking to top the meters if I do as well as I usually do. I don't have any preferences other than it being a great damage dealer and likely to stay hidden from the nerf bat :-p

So, please, would you tell me a bit about which classes are topping the meters frequently?

Thanks in advance!

World of Logs if you want some real raw numbers. Here is my opinion though

I really like where my mage is right now (though ill admit I am biased towards mages). I consistantly top the damage meters and have a great time doing it. Lots of fun and good damage = total package

Mage - they always do well in PvE, all 3 specs are viable and I don't think they ever get nerfed so hard that they drop many spots in the meters

Frost DKs are in a very good place right now. They seem super stable and have had no mention about being nerfed. But if you want best of the best it seems to be Fire Mages and Affliction Warlocks
    Last edited by skoalcandy69; 2012-12-09 at 04:15 PM.

Not being familiar with the state of damage dealers shows me you know nothing or very little about dps classes. I do not even play anymore and I know which classes are still top so try doing some research instead of wanting others to do it for you. Also topping meters in LFR is not something to brag about.

Mage. Nerfed but still #1.

Fire Mages (Mages are always away from nerfbat, funny but true)
    Shadow Priests
    Moonkins
    Frost Death Knights
    Warlocks, kinda all specs (destro a bit lower, but it is pretty complicated now, good players win in destro)
    Recently, SV hunters on some fights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    Mage - they always do well in PvE, all 3 specs are viable and I don't think they ever get nerfed so hard that they drop many spots in the meters
    Fire says hi. And yeah, I know that Fire is still viable, however you won't be topping meters until you are in a lot of heroic gear. However, Arcane and Frost are doing good. Mages are always in a good place chart wise (mechanic wise this expansion they suck though, mainly 90 talents and the knowledge blizzard has no idea what to do with us).

Rogues are normally fairly consistent too. Frost DK's as well.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    Fire mages say hello

OT: A skilled player can take any class and maximize its potential, if you are guilded and looking to raid see what they need, if you aren't guilded or looking for a spot in a guild what I have noticed its the hybrid/utility classes that are most in demand.
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

Warlocks, Warriors, DKs, Mages.

All have more than one spec or weapon configuration (DW1H vs. DW2H or Frost1H vs. Frost2H) that are completely viable right now.

5.1 definitely pulled all of the specs a lot closer together than they were in 5.0.5 though, for sure.

Also get a Hunter ready for the last tier of the expansion. We always start out completely horrendous in the beginning and slowly get buffed in to a top 3 DPS class towards the end.

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 11:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckadoodle View Post
    Fire mages say hello

OT: A skilled player can take any class and maximize its potential, if you are guilded and looking to raid see what they need, if you aren't guilded or looking for a spot in a guild what I have noticed its the hybrid/utility classes that are most in demand.
    Fire Mages could've ended up a lot worse. They're definitely the worst spec for Mages for the time being but they're still outperforming the DPS specs for Druids, Paladins, and Priests. Fire is also sitting right about in the middle of all specs in sims.

You didn't get nerfed in to the ground just because you're balanced now and don't have 3 of the top 4 tops specs in the game.

Mages are always good .

Seeing as how they have had more changes per update for most classes as they've had for shamans the entire expansion (They literally nerfed one thing last week with totems in their notes), I'd say shaman, from a PvE perspective. PvP that's a pretty heavy one, obviously.

I'm so sorry if you get nerfed now, shaman. On the other hand, maybe some people would call that a sign.
    Last edited by Shibboleths; 2012-12-09 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoFollowUp View Post
    Seeing as how they have had more changes per update for most classes as they've had for shamans the entire expansion (They literally nerfed one thing last week with totems in their notes), I'd say shaman, from a PvE perspective. PvP that's a pretty heavy one, obviously.

I'm so sorry if you get nerfed now, shaman. On the other hand, maybe some people would call that a sign.
    Uhm they didn't need to nerf shamans because they aren't OP, they are also far from the strongest class. Right now the strongest class/spec are Fire/arcane mages aff locks and for melee fury wars and frost DK's. As for not being nerf'd I'd say fire because it just got nerf'd and I don't think they'll nerf it again ( could be wrong ) and the two melee. Could be wrong blizzard could bring out the nerf hammer any time. The most important thing is perfecting your play with the spec you can top the metters in most non-hardcore guilds with any class.

Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    Uhm they didn't need to nerf shamans because they aren't OP, they are also far from the strongest class. Right now the strongest class/spec are Fire/arcane mages aff locks and for melee fury wars and frost DK's. As for not being nerf'd I'd say fire because it just got nerf'd and I don't think they'll nerf it again ( could be wrong ) and the two melee. Could be wrong blizzard could bring out the nerf hammer any time. The most important thing is perfecting your play with the spec you can top the metters in most non-hardcore guilds with any class.
    Enhancement shamans can definitely compete with warriors and they're actually a bit better than frost DKs.

Elemental shamans are in an awful place right now though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I currently have a love/hate relationship with my Shadow Priest. They are fun, but lacking in so many areas.

If you want pure damage with a class that will never be nerfed into the ground, then go with a Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    shamans because they aren't OP, they are also far from the strongest class.
    Thread title says "great." You focus on "OP." Good to know. By the way, enhancement is doing just fine. Yeah, mages beat them because they were OP. Otherwise, easy spec to pick up and top meters with due to versatile toolkit, especially when you're a player who hasn't even hit level 90 two months into an expansion and will probably have to start out low on the pole (/Totem pole... heh. hehehe. Nvm.)

I would without a doubt go with Warlock, they're very strong singletarget right now and get a ton of opportunities to abuse double-dotting, going Demo or w/e to rape dps meters and I don't see them being so over the top that they've got nerfs incoming, like what happened to Fire Mages.

Edit: Rogues and Warriors follow but can be a bit more reliant on tactics used. I'd be very surprised to see Rogues nerfed and if Warriors get nerfed it's probably because of PvP changes.
    Last edited by Mizzeeh; 2012-12-09 at 05:34 PM.

Affliction Warlocks are at the top in terms of Ranged DPS. Survival Hunters are amazing at AoE fights thanks to the huge Serpent Sting buff.

Frost DKs are great at damage, but their raid-wide utility sucks.

Deleted
    Play Mage now and switch to Rogue with 5.3.