Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Wow... The most noticeable part of that list? How weak just about all the nominees are. Surprised Assassin's Creed III nor Hitman Absolution are no where to be found.
    agree with this, how can those 2 games not be in there? they were amazing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Interesting, that AC3 and Far Cry 3 aren't on the list. Wouldn't it be wiser to nominate these kind of prizes early in the following year? Although still AC3 should have been on the list, it was released quite early indeed.
    not sure why you say that as ac3 wasn't released until october 30th.

Good luck to The Walking Dead by trying to win yet another GOTY award, best game I've played this year. Altrough I haven't bought many new games this year... Still planning to pick up Far Cry 3 trough.

Best MMO is probably Guild Wars 2 or the Rift expansion. Diablo 3 better not win the RPG award

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Interesting, that AC3 and Far Cry 3 aren't on the list. Wouldn't it be wiser to nominate these kind of prizes early in the following year? Although still AC3 should have been on the list, it was released quite early indeed.
    yes, i'm surprised too. I think, especially that far cry 3 is nominated as best SP shooter.

If farcry 3 was in the list, i think he would have won, but considering the list, i guess the walking dead will win.

As for RPG there is no way diablo 3 win, it's not an RPG. It's an action game, beat'em all with RPG element (inventory and level)
    i see far cry 3 as best shooter, xcom as best strategy, and mass effect 3 as best RPG (even considering the ending)

While I think XCOM is a great game I do not think of it as a strategy game.

One of the best strategy games is not even listed, Endless Space, which was far far better than SINS
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

My personal picks from these lists would be:
    GOTY: The Walking Dead.
    Strategy: XCOM.
    MMO: Don't really care, but I think Planetside 2 deserves to win out of the ones listed.
    RPG: Dark Souls. Would also be my GOTY if it was listed under the GOTY category.
    SP Shooter: Far Cry 3.
    MP Shooter: Tribes: Ascend.
    Esport: Dota 2.
    Mod: Black Mesa.
    Adventure: The Walking Dead.
    Short-Form: FTL.
    Sim: No opinion.

Deleted
    I'm hoping Dishonored picks up GOTY but Walking Dead would also be acceptable. I definitely don't think Planetside 2 or Tribes: Ascend should be on that shortlist though and some good games are missing.

Strategy would have to be Xcom regardless of what the other options are for me.

MMO I'm hoping is Guild Wars 2.

RPG... got to be honest, none of those options thrill me at all. Feels like the shortlist for RPG is majorly missing something. TL2 was a great game but as an "RPG" honestly, I completed the game and I didn't even know who I was killing or why (and I didn't care, and it didn't make it any less of a fun game to me). D3 I thought had some great lore and a good storyline that unfortunately fell flat of it's predecessors, both in gameplay and story, so I suppose.. my vote would go to ME3 although ugh, whatever wins in the RPG isn't going to thrill me out of those choices.

SP Shooter - why is Dishonored in there? Dishonored would fit more in the RPG category than in the SP Shooter category. Borderlands 2 for me anyway. I think Dishonored is a better game but I don't think it should be in the shooter category, it's a stealth action.

I've played all 4 MP Shooters and I wouldn't give any of them an award, maybe I'm getting fussy in my old age.

eSport I think will be LoL and adventure has to be the walking dead.

Deleted
    It's been a pretty weak year for gaming if you ask me, I'm not surprised the nominations aren't absolutely staggeringly awesome because there's been no such title.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    While I think XCOM is a great game I do not think of it as a strategy game.

One of the best strategy games is not even listed, Endless Space, which was far far better than SINS
    Xcom is one of the most strategic games you could think of, even on sc2 you rely on mechanics and micro/macro, that's not an strategy itself but a requirement to play the game, sure you need knowledge on what you do and where do you position yourself, but i would count xcom as a diehard strategy game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Xcom is one of the most strategic games you could think of, even on sc2 you rely on mechanics and micro/macro, that's not an strategy itself but a requirement to play the game, sure you need knowledge on what you do and where do you position yourself, but i would count xcom as a diehard strategy game.
    I tried to Zerg Rush in XCOM, it didn't end well...

GotY is very likely going to Mass Effect 3. The ONLY contenders are Dishonored and Halo 4.

Dishonored received much acclaim from the playerbase and critics and is a damn good game in it's own right. Halo 4 received both critical and player approval though most would agree that it's pretty much same ol' same ol'. Mass Effect 3 on the other hand has just had a following of e-haters while the game itself has been undeniably pretty damn good as a whole. Same sure as hell can't be said about Diablo 3 which was a wreck of a game anyways and lost more than 50% of it's playerbase within a month.

Wait forgot about Borderlands 2. It's probably going to win some award but not goty.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2012-12-11 at 05:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Game of the Year: The Walking Dead

Strategy: XCOM

MMO: Guild Wars 2

RPG: Mass Effect 3

SP shooter: Dishonored

MP shooter: Tribes: Ascend

Esport: Dota 2 or LoL, kinda the same to me

Mod: Day Z or Black Mesa, somewhat a tie

Adventure: The Walking Dead

For Esports, going strictly on the activity of the Esport, it HAS to go to LoL or SC2. Both are heavily played competitively in the MLG circuit, while that doesn't exactly state DOTA2 isn't a Esport, it is still not as big as LoL or SC2 in that regard. LoL, in my biased opinion, should win ^_^

OH WAIT! How the eff could I forget Max Payne 3. Nvm, THAT should be game of the year. Too bad it isn't even a nominee. It better win SP shooter.

P.S. Editty for fail.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2012-12-11 at 09:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Just my own picks:

GOTY: Dishonored (agree with above, should go to Max Payne)
    Strategy: FTL
    MMO: Planetside 2
    RPG: Dark Souls!
    SP Shooter: Max Payne 3 (Far Cry or Borderlands winning this would be a complete joke)
    MP Shooter: Planetside 2
    Esport: Total SC2 whore here

Didn't play enough games in the other categories.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You haven't played torchlight 2 then.
    I did, after all that talk, I just had to give it a chance. NEVER AGAIN. I wont fall for those looser developers fourth time, nice to know who was the brain behind the Diablo 2 (definitely not those guys).

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/11/pc...year-nominees/

MMO? Pff, who cares? Probably World of Warcraft because it's Actiblizzion and a commercial gaming journalism, but Planetside 2 has been extremely fun so far. Haven't played GW2 or the other one, but I seriously don't see them being able to compete with Pandaland.

eSports? Automatic win for Dota 2, it's not even a fucking race. League of Legends is complete trash compared to it, and while Starcraft II is still strong, Blizzard's handling of it in regards to eSports leaves a fuckton of a lot to be wished for. While Valve is active and interested in making sure Dota 2 receives wide recognition, it feels like Blizzard blew their wad out of the gate and then left it there to congeal and rot and I'm gonna stop this analogy now.
    Yeah, who cares about MMOs? Nobody gives a shit about them.

And yeah, it's not like LoL isn't one of the most played games in the world, or like anyone cares about SC2 or like the SC2 pro scene is one of the biggest and most widely watched esports in the world.

Sorry, but take your head of your fucking ass. If you have an opinion fine, but stop stating everything like it's a fact. Something doesnt suck because YOU think it does. Because you dont like a game or care about it doesn't mean nobody else does or that it's not big.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

From the choices given:
    Game of the Year: The Walking Dead - Flat out amazing game.
    Strategy: FTL - While I enjoyed XCOM, I found it lacking on the tactical battlefield, whereas I couldn't find anything I didn't like about FTL.
    MMO: Guild Wars 2 - Even though Anets recent actions have me concerned, what they brought to the table at launch was quite good. I'm surprised TSW was not on that list though.
    RPG: Torchlight II - Haven't play Dark Souls (yet), so I can't really judge that one. But of the remaining games, TL2 is on top, by far.
    SP shooter: Far Cry 3 - Just amazing.
    MP shooter: N/A. Would have put Borderlands 2 here. It's OK SP, it's awesome MP.
    Esport: Dota 2 - I thought the presentation of Dota2's tourney was much, much better than LoL's. LoL dropped the ball, bigtime.
    Mod: Sith Lords - I thought KOTOR2 was pretty good back in the day, now it is truly amazing.
    Adventure: The Walking Dead - Really, really amazing series.
    Short-Form: Legend of Grimrock - Simple, yet brilliant take on modernizing the classic dungeon crawl genre.

15+ Year Old Account
    borderlands 2 will get a title, for sure, it's THE most awesome game this year by for, but that's my opinion.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    P.S. What's with the Walking Dead being on there? The game isn't even out until the complete end of the year and show/movie based games are always a flop.
    The Walking Dead has been out for a while now... and it's actually really good. Good enough to win GOTY on the VGAs. :/ Plus it's based on the comic, not the show.