Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I always judge a question about this based on how long I will be using the weapon (or item). Of course, sometimes it isn't a guarenteed time or rep grind and it's a RNG thing - so you make the choice. If you will be playing with this weapon for a month or longer - then heck ya it's worth it. If you think you will be upgrading within a week - then why would you bother. But, then again some people are so rich and don't care they might very well blow 10k on this for 1 week and not think twice about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    especially since with the VP upgrade possibility it can be a 491 weapon, only 5 ilvls behind the normal version.
    If you had the VP to upgrade the LFR version you'd have the VP to upgrade the normal version too so you'd still be 13 ilvl behind

Use it and save 10k for the end of the tier when you get heroic weapon after the nerfs.

For me it's worth it, casual raiding guild. We're taking it slowly and since we wont be getting terrace down any time soon the gem helps me for progression.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Dela2k10 View Post
    If you had the VP to upgrade the LFR version you'd have the VP to upgrade the normal version too so you'd still be 13 ilvl behind
    Yes, but the OP doesn't have the normal version, so I'm not sure what your point is. MY POINT, was that if you have the LFR version and gem and upgrade it, the normal version becomes a less necessary upgrade for your progression should it ever drop for you.

EDIT: Another way of putting it: you should only hold on to VP for upgrades for items you're actively farming. Keeping 1500 VP reserved for an item you may be months from getting is hurting your progression.
    Last edited by Kalcheus; 2012-12-12 at 03:31 PM.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are stuck on Elegon normal it's gonna be a while before you might get the normal version of the weapons, so I see no problem with using the gem.

If you invest the money is up to you, but you should be perfectly fine to kill this boss without legendary gems as long as you execute the tactics properly. If it's purely a little bit of healing/dps you're missing, I would definitly advise you to get it. But if there's something wrong with the execution, some more stats aren't going to help that much..

10+ Year Old Account
    You can only get a new one for just *only* 10000g .
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Well, you want to change this? Those gems are a good step into the right direction.
    500 int isnt gonna help jack

Quote Originally Posted by Koneko View Post
    I know 5.1 just hitted but arnt we getting better weapons in 5.2 (rep grinding perhaps new raids which are easier) :P
    5.2 rep grinding rewards are possible, but i won't rely on it. and even more so i won't hope on more easier normal modes. that's what LFR is for. normalmodes already are quite "easy".

recent quote from blizzard:
    The addition of LFR has allowed Blizzard to target Normal difficulty more towards organized guilds that play together regularly and use voice chat. Previously, Normal difficulty was used by both organized guilds and PuGs, which made it somewhat easier than intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacepunch View Post
    especially if everyone in the raid thinks this
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Yes, but the OP doesn't have the normal version, so I'm not sure what your point is. MY POINT, was that if you have the LFR version and gem and upgrade it, the normal version becomes a less necessary upgrade for your progression should it ever drop for you.
    no. because then you'd upgrade it. that's what the post you were adressing was trying to say. so i'm sure i know what your point is, it's just that your point is wrong. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Koneko View Post
    Hey everyone,

I just want to know your opinion in this matter i see alot of guildies putting this gem in their LFR weapon (we are stuck on elegon normal xD ) but is this worth it ?

I mean to get a new gem it will cost you 10K so basicly they are putting a 10K enchant on a LFR weapon.
    I know 5.1 just hitted but arnt we getting better weapons in 5.2 (rep grinding perhaps new raids which are easier) :P

Please help me obi-MMO.

PS sry for my crappy english xD
    consider that a 2/2 shin'ka with gem isnt that far off the dps increase a heroic starshatter (0/2) will give you. weapons are one of your main dps increases, so it's very much worth using it now. down the road if you get a normal/heroic weapon, you can still get a new gem. even if you dont have a lot of gold to spare, you can make 10k from doing dailies consistently, trade profs aside.

Quote Originally Posted by brirrspliff View Post
    no. because then you'd upgrade it. that's what the post you were adressing was trying to say. so i'm sure i know what your point is, it's just that your point is wrong. ;-)
    LFR Weapon + Gem + 2 Upgrades > Regular Weapon without Gem and Upgrades. Adding the gem to the Regular Weapon works out to a 1.5% dps increase over the fully upgraded LFR weapon, which is less than the dps increase for gemming or upgrading the LFR weapon.

So you can gem and upgrade your LFR weapon for a roughly 3% and 2% increase respectively, or you can sit on the gem and the vp for weeks while they rot away and you wonder why you're not progressing as fast as you think you should be.

EDIT: Let me put it a different way to make it clearer:
    If you put the effort into your LFR weapon by gemming and upgrading it, you won't need the normal one to drop for you in order to significantly improve your dps/healing/etc. Obviously once it does drop for you you'll want to gem and upgrade it as well to gain even more improvement, but the earlier you start working on improving, the better (and sooner) your results will be.
    Last edited by Kalcheus; 2012-12-12 at 04:02 PM.

But 5000-25000 int/str/agi across an entire raid makes a significant difference if his entire raid thinks like you do. If they already had the normal mode bosses that drop weapons on farm, then I would agree that it makes more sense to wait. But since they have quite a way to go before even getting to a boss that drops a sha-touched weapon, the addition stats will be more of a benefit now. 10k is relatively painless to grind out right now, and can easily be done in the time it will likely take him to get an upgraded weapon.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

LFR Weapon + Gem + 2 Upgrades > Regular Weapon without Gem and Upgrades. Adding the gem to the Regular Weapon works out to a 1.5% dps increase over the fully upgraded LFR weapon, which is less than the dps increase for gemming or upgrading the LFR weapon.

So you can gem and upgrade your LFR weapon for a roughly 3% and 2% increase respectively, or you can sit on the gem and the vp for weeks while they rot away and you wonder why you're not progressing as fast as you think you should be.

EDIT: Let me put it a different way to make it clearer:
    If you put the effort into your LFR weapon by gemming and upgrading it, you won't need the normal one to drop for you in order to significantly improve your dps/healing/etc. Obviously once it does drop for you you'll want to gem and upgrade it as well to gain even more improvement, but the earlier you start working on improving, the better (and sooner) your results will be.
    If your raid can't progress through normal mode content without a gemmed RF weapon you need new players not gear. Plain and simple there is no reason to gem a LFR weapon.
    do what you feel.

If your raid can't progress through normal mode content without a gemmed RF weapon you need new players not gear. Plain and simple there is no reason to gem a LFR weapon.
    There is no reason not to gem a LFR weapon if you have one and will not be getting a normal one or heroic one for several weeks/months.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    There is no reason not to gem a LFR weapon if you have one and will not be getting a normal one or heroic one for several weeks/months.
    10k gold for another one is a pretty good reason.
    do what you feel.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're not likely to grab the normal version any time soon, there's no harm in doing so, especially since with the VP upgrade possibility it can be a 491 weapon, only 5 ilvls behind the normal version.

EDIT: We also have no guarantee that there will be future sha-touched weapons; the ones we get in this tier may be upgraded via the Black Prince over the course of the xpac instead.
    I don't think people get the new Valor Upgrades. If you assume you will upgrade the LFR weapon, why aren't you assuming you will upgrade the normal version? This means upgrading the LFR weapon changes nothing between the LFR and normal version, it actually makes it mandatory to upgrade it otherwise its even worse than the normal one.

Then there's no reason to get any upgrades past 463s, either. I mean, the total difference between 463 and 476 isn't that far from 500 with all the stats added up.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."