Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    I was quite blown away with the visuals. I hope they win an award for it. Sometimes, you can tell the studio is trying to cut costs so they skimp on the visuals but they didn't.

Some of the plot surprised me. I wasn't expecting the movie to take place 12 or so years after the attacks began. I was also surprised it focused more on the girl and the scientists than the main guy. All in all I think I have a new addition to my dvd library.

Reeled in $90 million internationally on its first weekend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I came looking for mechs vs kaiju's and got it. The visuals and fight scenes were stunning and great. Really jawdropping. Dialogue and story were meh, but again didn't come for that.

Great movie overall, worth a watch. Also Kaiju are scary as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Saw the trailer on World War Z and it looks like a typical movie aimed for kids up to 17.
    One of those movies I know I would never pay to watch and probably turn it off after 15 mins if I ever decided I was bored enough to download it.

World War Z was above expectations, I can recommend it

I always love the I haven't and wont watch it crowds that have to toss in their reasons why the movie is bad. Does this carry over to other parts of your life? Do you hate chicken even though you have never eaten it?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I saw this last week and while I really enjoyed it, I had a few beefs with the film (Possible spoilers in this post, but nothing specific. I'm not sure how to do the spoiler tag thing, so be wary if you ain't seen the film yet)

1: The film felt a little bit like it was trying to pack just a bit too much story into the film. You could basically see a big divide in it, spiltting the film into 2 halves, but neither "half" got enough focus, which made this stick out even more.
    I think i'd have prefer to see the film start off with the adventures of the US brothers during the Jaeger programs golden age, maybe ending with their defeat and setting up the Aussies, Russians and Chinese Jeagers, then ending with the implication the survring brotehr is gonna be recruited, and that his Jeager has been fixed.

Then have the 2nd film play out the "Things are going to shit we've been losing" scenario the 2nd half had going.

2: The Jeagers felt way more fragile in combat than I would have liked. While there were a few scenes of them have some good combats, which I liked, most of the fighst eitehr had the Jeagers get decimated (And WTF was up with the Chinese and Russians Jeagers getting taken out in their 1st on screen battle? Really film? Why even have them on posters if they're just macguffin expenadble for the story?). Otherwise it seems a good majority of the battles happen off screen. The Aussie Jeager,for exaple, we kind of see the sydney defense...but not relaly, as its actually a news report so we don't get the full fight. The rest of its battles prior to the dome happen off screen and despite being hyped up as being the biggest and baddest...it doesn't really do that much in the film.

It justs eems like it wanted to invoke a voltron "Super Robot team!" feel, but also a "just a another machine, like a tank" feel of Gundam. But by not commiting to eitehr "style" of robot, it was disapointing on both fronts (for me).

I'm glad I saw it and I do hope for a sequel...but I don't think I'd buy the DVD.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    I was quite blown away with the visuals. I hope they win an award for it. Sometimes, you can tell the studio is trying to cut costs so they skimp on the visuals but they didn't.

Some of the plot surprised me. I wasn't expecting the movie to take place 12 or so years after the attacks began. I was also surprised it focused more on the girl and the scientists than the main guy. All in all I think I have a new addition to my dvd library.
    It won't win (or even get nominated) for awards like Best Picture, Screenplay, or Acting awards and such, however if it doesn't get any nominations for Best Visual Effects, Best Cinematography, and other visual awards i'd be shocked. (It honestly should win visual effects)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    I saw this last week and while I really enjoyed it, I had a few beefs with the film (Possible spoilers in this post, but nothing specific. I'm not sure how to do the spoiler tag thing, so be wary if you ain't seen the film yet)

1: The film felt a little bit like it was trying to pack just a bit too much story into the film. You could basically see a big divide in it, spiltting the film into 2 halves, but neither "half" got enough focus, which made this stick out even more.
    I think i'd have prefer to see the film start off with the adventures of the US brothers during the Jaeger programs golden age, maybe ending with their defeat and setting up the Aussies, Russians and Chinese Jeagers, then ending with the implication the survring brotehr is gonna be recruited, and that his Jeager has been fixed.

Then have the 2nd film play out the "Things are going to shit we've been losing" scenario the 2nd half had going.

2: The Jeagers felt way more fragile in combat than I would have liked. While there were a few scenes of them have some good combats, which I liked, most of the fighst eitehr had the Jeagers get decimated (And WTF was up with the Chinese and Russians Jeagers getting taken out in their 1st on screen battle? Really film? Why even have them on posters if they're just macguffin expenadble for the story?). Otherwise it seems a good majority of the battles happen off screen. The Aussie Jeager,for exaple, we kind of see the sydney defense...but not relaly, as its actually a news report so we don't get the full fight. The rest of its battles prior to the dome happen off screen and despite being hyped up as being the biggest and baddest...it doesn't really do that much in the film.

It justs eems like it wanted to invoke a voltron "Super Robot team!" feel, but also a "just a another machine, like a tank" feel of Gundam. But by not commiting to eitehr "style" of robot, it was disapointing on both fronts (for me).

I'm glad I saw it and I do hope for a sequel...but I don't think I'd buy the DVD.
    I don't really think a sequel to the story is possible really, it was a pretty definitive ending. A prequel on the other hand... And a prequel would be awesome especially if as you stated it followed the golden age of the program (fuck Gipsy Danger, follow Cherno Alpha they got more action). You could even go as far back as the Mk1 Jaeger's but if they include Marshall in there it may be a bit of a plot cop-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    (And WTF was up with the Chinese and Russians Jeagers getting taken out in their 1st on screen battle? Really film? Why even have them on posters if they're just macguffin expenadble for the story?). Otherwise it seems a good majority of the battles happen off screen. The Aussie Jeager,for exaple, we kind of see the sydney defense...
    In fairness it was stated that the Kaiju were getting progressively more dangerous. The American Jaegar had the benefit of observing the new ones in combat and being able to counter their attacks. I agree that it would've been nicer to see the others have more fights but that costs time and money to film.

That's why I found it annoying, but it didn't kill my enjoyment of the film. It also helped contribute to my feeling of the film wanting to rush things, it just seemed they were so desperate to degenerate things to the "END OF THE WORLD! BIG STAKES!" stage that we kinda got robbed of a lotta cool battles and stuff that...I really expected to see more of than I did.

But the logical part of my brain also knows you can't have as much of that stuff in a film, versus a series, simply due to time constraint. It still sucks though, lol.

Thinking back on it now, as much as I like Ron Pearlman(And I know he's kinda Del Toros trademark actor), I wish the Hong Kong section had been cut to make room for an extra Jeager battle or 2. I do think the film should have had AT LEAST one more, to give the non US bots a chance to strut their stuff.

It would have helped to make the end game Kaiju seem more threatening, because to me, it just seemed like the Jeagers were basically kinda shitty the whole time and were just lucky to get one on one battles. The Russian and Chinese bots seem even more crap, because there was nothing shown in the film to re-inforce "they ARE good!" I'm told they are, but I wasn't shown it.

The US guy gets a pass, as he's the main character so we know he's good by virtue of that fact (and he has the "solo pilot" thing he actually does and gets referenced later)

The Aussies have the news report that shows at least some of their exploits. Now that I think on it more, its not annoying...it's disappointing. And that's, IMHO, worse.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was great, while not the best film ever, still great! I went to see the Power Rangers movie and instead, Got the Power Rangers movie and Independence day

The aliens at the end looked just like the ones from Independence day except blue!

That awkward moment when Charlie Day has to help save the world.....
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2013-07-20 at 02:58 AM.

Yeah, i didnt like the fact that Russian and Chinese Jaegers were destroyed so quickly. Gah.
    P.S.
    Portrayal of Russians was so cliche, and Holliwood has again forgotten to hire real Russian-speakers.
    P.P.S.
    It was still awesome.

Kickass movie. I really enjoyed watching it. The universe the film was set in was just so cool, and the visuals were awesome. Definitely planning on seeing it again! I just gotta find somebody to go with me who hasn't already seen it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Well I wasn't going to see it, the over hype, made me think they were trying too hard to be a geek favorite.

Then I saw a few reviews, so I saw it in Imax 3D tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    It's an Omage to all Anime Robot/kaiju, not just Evangelion (which IS a valid comparison in some cases). There's traces of everything from Robotech to Giant Robo to Voltron to various specific Godzilla movies (particularly the lobster Kaiju looking REMARKABLY similar to Ebira from "Godzilla Vs the Sea Monster".)
    What mvallas says is true, Del Torro is clearly an Otaku, because he managed to put every Giant Monster Anime trope and Godzilla trope possible in the film.

List of tropes:

Failed Giant Wall
    Underworld Funding for Heroes
    Father Hero, Child wants to impress father
    Energy blast giant monster
    Gorilla Giant Monster
    Fly in to space Giant Monster
    Giant Robot with sword
    Insane Scientist was right
    Dinosaur extinction reference
    Tokyo destroyed motivates a main character.
    Giant Robots and Giant Monsters can withstand a nuclear blast at close range.
    main hero looks dead after saving the day.
    Coward dies while being smart.
    one last mission will kill you.

there are more, but I think the idea is clear.

whats odd with all the clear references and tropes used it was actually a really fun and good film, you will leave the theater happy and fulfilled. I think only Del Toro could have made that film, and make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post

List of tropes:

Coward dies while being smart.
    Who does this refer to? If it's who I think it is, you didn't see the post-credits bit...

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Who does this refer to? If it's who I think it is, you didn't see the post-credits bit...
    yes, and we left just as the credits started, but I saw that on Youtube after I posted. Still it works, because sometimes in anime they like to kill guys like that every episode.